3 months and one week after surgery...

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

3 months and one week after surgery...

Post by Major Kong »

and the sawbones has given me an excellent report with a big dose of reality.

#1 I don't have to go back to see him for 2 months
#2 No more physical therapy
#3 I'll never regain full strength in my left shoulder...probably between 50% and 60%.
#4 No PAIN :!: For the 1st time in 1½ years I'm pain free in my shoulder :!:

My range of motion is outstanding for 13 weeks. The sawbones thinks it's because of the patch and transplanted tissue that was used. He's never used a surgical patch before but based on me he'll use them in the future.

My tear was so massive that he was afraid that I would never regain even 50% range of motion but my range of motion for my shoulder is 100% :!:

The bad news is because of the massive tear and atrophy in my shoulder I will never gain full strength but 50%-60% should be possible. It will come slowly and gradually I will notice doing little things that I was unable to do maybe a week previous.

I will no longer gain any benefit from PT as I've met my range of motion goals. As far as strength he gave me some exercises and told me to limit my weights to 2½ pounds...because of the tear and where it was I will have to be very careful because I will be susceptible of re-tearing it and there will be no surgical fixing it again short of shoulder reversal. No more reaching behind me to pick up a hammer. :)

No pain :!: It feels great...I still sleep slightly elevated but I tell ya being pain free is mega gooderly.

The one problem I have is appearances. I'm no longer holding my arm in close and I can move it normally so folks just assume that I can do things I used to do. Nope. Just picking up a bag with a few small items in it is a severe strain of my capabilities...even a ½ gallon of milk is a no no.

Sometimes I forget and reach down to pick something up left handed and I'm told immediately by my left shoulder nope it ain't happening buddy.

Overall I'm as happy as can be but all things considered I wish I would have never torn the sucker in the 1st place. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Re: 3 months and one week after surgery...

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Sounds like things are looking up Kong. Glad to hear you are no longer in pain my friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: 3 months and one week after surgery...

Post by awesome guy »

Excellent news! Anen on being pain free. Few people can experience that through a thought experiment and so understand what it does to you. Or the "why do you look angry,?". "Ummm, because it feels like I'm Jesus and someone is driving 100,000,000 degree nails through my back and down my legs". Glad you're pain free.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.