Monday night my BiL's dog chewed the hell out of my tires...

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Monday night my BiL's dog chewed the hell out of my tires...

Post by Major Kong »

My BiL is in the hospital for a couple of days after stent surgery and we're watching his Feist/Australian Cattle Dog mix. The dog is one bundle of pent up energy...he makes my Aussie Shepherd tired just by looking at him.

We let all the dogs out Monday night to go to the bathroom and he was over by my vehicle chewing on the tires. I got him to stop and got him into the house.

Tuesday morning I wake up and notice my front passenger side tire is flat :x ...then go to the driver's side and that sucker is flat too. Big ole puncture holes in the sidewalls.

Hellfar...so with one hand I'm out there jacking up the front end of the Buick Rendezvous and putting the tires in the back of our van. My wife did help to put the tires in the van.

I call around and surprise, surprise the best $$$ I could find is Superwalmart down in Abingdon (20 miles away). 225/60R/17 and they have them in stock! Douglas Tires (Wal*Mart brand made by Goodyear 45,000 mile tires).

Nobody here in Marion had them in stock and it would be Thursday before they could get them and the price was nearly double for 2 tires.

So I call down to Abingdon and let the fine folks at the Supercenter (it opened right before Thanksgiving '16) know I'm a comin'...I'll be in a blue '09 Kia Sedona EX. I head on down, it's raining like hell, and pull around to the auto center and a service rep. meets me outside, has me back into the bay and they take both tires out the back of the van (they're only flat on the bottom).

The service rep tells me they're busy, there must have been 5 people in there getting serviced, but they'll get to me ASAP.

No problem my wife gave me a list of things to pick up so I'll just wander around in the store.

Now one thing that really chafed me is that Sporting Goods is right next to Tire and Auto...it just ain't fair to have tires and car wax that close to fishin' poles and guns. :x :P

So of course I ended up with a new Shakespeare Reverb Spinning Combo for $12.84...yeah it's inexpensive but my old Coleman Pen rod and real gave up the ghost...so it will be my in the hidden cargo section of the Rendezvous for those oh hell I'm going to fish moments. :mrgreen:

So anyway about 45 minutes later I'm paged, the tires are ready, I pay for my goods, they tell me to back up to the bay and load up my tires.

That is the reason I shop Superwalmart. :mrgreen: Because they're there.

I get home and now I'm like how am I going to mount these things :?: Just then my nephew shows up and puts the tires on for me...my wife called him while I was in Abingdon and he came by after work.

As to the dog my BiL forgot to tell us that he takes 200mg a day of Trazodone and give us his pills. He's back home with my BiL now and I'm out $168.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Monday night my BiL's dog chewed the hell out of my tire

Post by awesome guy »

Damn. You got lucky that you're putting stock tires on. Wal-Mart won't put oversized/lower speed rated tires on now because of some lawsuit. A friend just went through that BS.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

What a bummer. :( It's a hydroplaning issue.

The tires that are still on the back are Jetzon Genesis LS tires...same manufacturer, same tread design but ½ the price. :) They were put on by a former local tire dealer back in June of last year (owner passed away, super nice fella but his kids had no interest in the business and shut it down). I've only put 2500 miles on them in 11 months.

We used to sell tires at our business in Saltville but we stopped selling them in 2001...it was to hard to compete with Superwalmart, Sam's Club and other outlets.

Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:Damn. You got lucky that you're putting stock tires on. Wal-Mart won't put oversized/lower speed rated tires on now because of some lawsuit. A friend just went through that BS.
But, but, but what about the cheap rod and reel :?: :mrgreen:

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Damn. You got lucky that you're putting stock tires on. Wal-Mart won't put oversized/lower speed rated tires on now because of some lawsuit. A friend just went through that BS.
But, but, but what about the cheap rod and reel :?: :mrgreen:
No comment ;)
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Major Kong wrote:My BiL is in the hospital for a couple of days after stent surgery and we're watching his Feist/Australian Cattle Dog mix. The dog is one bundle of pent up energy...he makes my Aussie Shepherd tired just by looking at him.

We let all the dogs out Monday night to go to the bathroom and he was over by my vehicle chewing on the tires. I got him to stop and got him into the house.

Tuesday morning I wake up and notice my front passenger side tire is flat :x ...then go to the driver's side and that sucker is flat too. Big ole puncture holes in the sidewalls.

Hellfar...so with one hand I'm out there jacking up the front end of the Buick Rendezvous and putting the tires in the back of our van. My wife did help to put the tires in the van.

I call around and surprise, surprise the best $$$ I could find is Superwalmart down in Abingdon (20 miles away). 225/60R/17 and they have them in stock! Douglas Tires (Wal*Mart brand made by Goodyear 45,000 mile tires).

Nobody here in Marion had them in stock and it would be Thursday before they could get them and the price was nearly double for 2 tires.

So I call down to Abingdon and let the fine folks at the Supercenter (it opened right before Thanksgiving '16) know I'm a comin'...I'll be in a blue '09 Kia Sedona EX. I head on down, it's raining like hell, and pull around to the auto center and a service rep. meets me outside, has me back into the bay and they take both tires out the back of the van (they're only flat on the bottom).

The service rep tells me they're busy, there must have been 5 people in there getting serviced, but they'll get to me ASAP.

No problem my wife gave me a list of things to pick up so I'll just wander around in the store.

Now one thing that really chafed me is that Sporting Goods is right next to Tire and Auto...it just ain't fair to have tires and car wax that close to fishin' poles and guns. :x :P

So of course I ended up with a new Shakespeare Reverb Spinning Combo for $12.84...yeah it's inexpensive but my old Coleman Pen rod and real gave up the ghost...so it will be my in the hidden cargo section of the Rendezvous for those oh hell I'm going to fish moments. :mrgreen:

So anyway about 45 minutes later I'm paged, the tires are ready, I pay for my goods, they tell me to back up to the bay and load up my tires.

That is the reason I shop Superwalmart. :mrgreen: Because they're there.

I get home and now I'm like how am I going to mount these things :?: Just then my nephew shows up and puts the tires on for me...my wife called him while I was in Abingdon and he came by after work.

As to the dog my BiL forgot to tell us that he takes 200mg a day of Trazodone and give us his pills. He's back home with my BiL now and I'm out $168.
that is one tough mutt to be able to puncture car tires
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:No comment ;)
The good stuff I keep in my old office in Saltville...since when I fish it's usually Laurel Bed Lake, Little Tumbling Creek or Roaring Fork (Tazewell/Bland County).

This is for little jaunts to Hungry Mother Lake, Middle Fork of the Holston (behind the house) or South Fork of the Holston (in front of the house) when the mood may strike.

Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

cwtcr hokie wrote:that is one tough mutt to be able to puncture car tires
My Aussie Shepherd has taken out a tire or 2 but we got him out of it.

According to the service manager it's not uncommon...especially with the lower profile tires...softer sidewalls.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:No comment ;)
The good stuff I keep in my old office in Saltville...since when I fish it's usually Laurel Bed Lake, Little Tumbling Creek or Roaring Fork (Tazewell/Bland County).

This is for little jaunts to Hungry Mother Lake, Middle Fork of the Holston (behind the house) or South Fork of the Holston (in front of the house) when the mood may strike.
I can't wrap my head around using Shakespeare rods, it's a wet noodle!