Name your top ten favorite albums....

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Name your top ten favorite albums....

Post by HokieHam »

This was very hard for me to do as I have tons of favorites, but narrowing it down, I found that many of these...how to phrase it....set me in a mood, so to speak. Some of them came at times where my musical tastes "changed", if you could say that they have, by looking at the list. Maybe it's just the music evolving. I try to stay up to date on new rock music (I'm not into rap, although one of my runner ups is a "rap" band?) but nothing has really struck my fancy as of late that could knock some of these out of my top ten. Most of these were burned up in my CD player I played them so much. Can you burn up an MP3??? To the list:

1. Ok Computer-Radiohead: Just a totally amazing record. Back when Radiohead actually played guitar. I like some of their music since, but it just doesn't compare. Let Down is such an awesome song with how it builds. Some of Thom Yorke's best vocal work.
2. Achtung Baby-U2: To think the band was discussing parting ways...and the Edge starts playing One. Ultraviolet is my favorite U2 song. The verse where Bono sings "I remember When we could sleep on stones"...man, that is some good stuff right there.
3. Disintegration-The Cure: Depressing...yes. Long intros....yes. The string of songs from Lullaby to Disintegration (which includes Fascination Street).
4. Moving Pictures-Rush: This was my first "real" rock record. Camera Eye-'nuff said.
5. Transatlanticism-Death Cab for Cutie: Ben Gibbard is one of the best lyricist in rock today. Title and Registration is a good example of this. The middle string of songs on the record are fit together perfectly.
6. Document-REM-Their best record, IMHO. A dorm room fav....I am Superman!
7. Led Zeppelin IV-It was hard to pick this over LZ III, but I remember just listening to it over and over again at the cottage in Nags Head one summer. Misty Mountain Hop and When the Levee Breaks are two of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs. Man, Jimmy Page came up with some hellacious riffs. Great studio guitarist...sloppy live...maybe the drugz.
8. Big Red Letter Day-Buffalo Tom: I love this band. They were never "big", but they wrote good music. I think Bill Janovitz has one of the best guitars sounds. I will never forget when they opened up for Eric Johnson at the Boathouse in Norfolk. They opened with Treehouse and the whole crowd was bouncing in unison. Great live band.
9. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots-The Flaming Lips: Just a total sonic assault. Quirky, but I love it.
10. Some Cities-Doves-Their last record, Kingdom of Rust is good, but Some Cities is still their best effort. Wish they would come back from hiatus.

Runners up included(not in order)-Black Love, Afghan Wigs-Chrome, Catherine Wheel-Syncronicity, Police-Pinkerton, Weezer-Mutemath, Mutemath-Downward is Heavenward, Hum-The Bends, Radiohead-The Love Below, Outkast.....this will really date me....Powerslave, Iron Maiden-Operation Mindcrime-Queensryche.

Anybody else up for this nonsense?

Ham
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: Name your top ten favorite albums....

Post by Major Kong »

Delicate Sounds of Thunder - Pink Floyd
Copperhead Road - Steve Earle
5150 - Van Halen
High Infidelity - REO Speedwagon
Boston - Boston
Full Moon - CDB
Eliminator - ZZ Top
Breakfast in America - Supertramp
Slowhand - Eric Clapton
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Major Kong wrote:High Infidelity - REO Speedwagon
Good pick...REO gets a bum rap in part to Cronin and his ballads, but Gary Richrath is a GREAT guitar player. Tone, tasteful licks, plays to the song...and has the best pick scrapes in the business.
GCHokie78

Post by GCHokie78 »

In no particular order and subject to change. Greatest hits and compilations excluded.

Tapestry - Carole King
Hotel California - Eagles
American Pie - Don McLean
Aqualung - Jethro Tull
John Prine - John Prine
The Innocent Age - Dan Fogelberg
Just Like You - Keb' Mo'
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash
Dublin Blues - Guy Clark
II - Chicago

(If you didn't already know I was old, you do now.)