This could be pretty scary

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
AZHokie

This could be pretty scary

Post by AZHokie »

The Bob who sent this to me is a friend from the gym and a retired AF Colonel. Be sure to check out the pics from the attachment. See what you are missing if not living in AZ?:)

Received this from a friend who owns a large ranch on the border near Douglas. The ranch is across from where Rob Krenz was murdered. A scary story. See also attachment...Bob

Hello All,
Tonight, Warner and I are going to a party for a friend that is going away to school.
Warner was getting in the shower and I was getting dressed and slipped my left foot into my shoe. I went to put the right foot in the shoe and it seemed to have a sock or something in it.
I reached in for the item and it moved in my hand. I jumped back and looked and this was a rattlesnake coiled in the shoe!
This is up on the second floor of the house in our bedroom.
It didn't rattle until Warner got it with the snake grabber and took it out of the shoe.
I think it was so tight in there it couldn't strike and was probably asleep when I first tried to put the foot in the shoe.
This is really scarey!
Wendy
Snakefromshoe2013DSCN2592.JPG
Snakefromshoe2013DSCN2592.JPG (221.61 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Attachments
SnakeinShoe2013DSCN2589.JPG
SnakeinShoe2013DSCN2589.JPG (219.41 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Snakeinshoe2-13DSCN2591.JPG
Snakeinshoe2-13DSCN2591.JPG (208.73 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
HokieHighlander

Re: This could be pretty scary

Post by HokieHighlander »

Wow that is scary...
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Ahh yes good ole Jake Noshoulders always uninvited...

Post by Major Kong »

but crashing the party anyway.

That looks like a Mojave. :shock:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Re: Ahh yes good ole Jake Noshoulders always uninvited...

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Major Kong wrote:but crashing the party anyway.

That looks like a Mojave. :shock:
I thought Mohave's were green.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:I thought Mohave's were green.
The easiest way to tell is the coon tail and the rattles. The banding and the rattles are different from a western diamondback and sidewinder.

The colors are dependent on whether ole Jake is a desert, riparian or sky island dweller. I've seen 'em from a green to yellow color while stomping around in Arizona.

The biggest difference between VA & AZ in re to snakes is that in SWVA if you see 25 snakes you might encounter 1 copperhead and 1 rattler. In AZ of the 25 snakes 14 of 'em are some kind of rattler. :shock:

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:I thought Mohave's were green.
The easiest way to tell is the coon tail and the rattles. The banding and the rattles are different from a western diamondback and sidewinder.

The colors are dependent on whether ole Jake is a desert, riparian or sky island dweller. I've seen 'em from a green to yellow color while stomping around in Arizona.

The biggest difference between VA & AZ in re to snakes is that in SWVA if you see 25 snakes you might encounter 1 copperhead and 1 rattler. In AZ of the 25 snakes 14 of 'em are some kind of rattler. :shock:
everything is highly aggressive out there. Even the garter snakes are bigger and mean. I got chased by one, it freaked me out a bit. I was startled and then gave him a "I'm bigger, I'm higher on the fouuuud chain!" to set it right.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:everything is highly aggressive out there. Even the garter snakes are bigger and mean. I got chased by one, it freaked me out a bit. I was startled and then gave him a "I'm bigger, I'm higher on the fouuuud chain!" to set it right.
The Western Diamondback is a pussy. :) It will retreat to safety unless absolutely cornered with nowhere to go. The Mojave will stand its ground, which is perfectly legal in AZ. :D The Mojave won't necessarily attack but it will coil up and not give an inch.

Yeah the AZ garter snakes are mean as a green striped snake. :D

The one that has always humored me is the Gila Monster (GM)...they're coloring is great but they're slow, lethargic and sort of lazy but every year some young man between the ages of 18-25 will wander into an Emergency Room with a GM attached to their arm or other appendage. Game & Fish has to be called to pry the GM off, then shots will have to given for the venom, and the general nastiness of the GM's mouth and then comes a ticket & hefty fine from Game & Fish for messing with an AZ protected species. Interviews with the victim and his friends always go like this:
Hey y'all hold my beer I'm going to pick up this big lizard.
:P

My wife was the head triage RN at St. Mary's hospital in Tucson for 10 years and she can tell ya some good GM stories. :D

AZHokie

Post by AZHokie »

I had never seem one other than at the Desert Museum until recently when one turned up in my pool skimmer. I was just about to pull the basket out to empty it and saw it just in time. Spooked the heck out of me. Called the Fire Dept and they retrieved it. Since I knew it was a protected species and their wicked strong jaws, glad I did. Only wish I had taken a picture of it.
Soooo, in it's place I give you a little friend I caught in my back yard. He sure was a nasty little guy.
Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:The one that has always humored me is the Gila Monster (GM)...they're coloring is great but they're slow, lethargic and sort of lazy but every year some young man between the ages of 18-25 will wander into an Emergency Room with a GM attached to their arm or other appendage. Game & Fish has to be called to pry the GM off, then shots will have to given for the venom, and the general nastiness of the GM's mouth and then comes a ticket & hefty fine from Game & Fish for messing with an AZ protected species. Interviews with the victim and his friends always go like this:
Hey y'all hold my beer I'm going to pick up this big lizard.
:P

My wife was the head triage RN at St. Mary's hospital in Tucson for 10 years and she can tell ya some good GM stories. :D
Attachments
P3130005.JPG
P3130005.JPG (169.7 KiB) Viewed 1843 times
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

AZHokie wrote:I had never seem one other than at the Desert Museum until recently when one turned up in my pool skimmer. I was just about to pull the basket out to empty it and saw it just in time. Spooked the heck out of me. Called the Fire Dept and they retrieved it. Since I knew it was a protected species and their wicked strong jaws, glad I did. Only wish I had taken a picture of it.
Soooo, in it's place I give you a little friend I caught in my back yard. He sure was a nasty little guy.
I used to see quite a few GM's up there at work in the Dripping Springs Mountains...usually up in the rocks around some of the older mine adits.

I think I've said we lived up above Mt. View HS off Thornydale RD. We were one of the 1st houses in the area and Ole Jake Noshoulders was always making an appearance (usually a diamondback)...we'd just call Rural Metro and let them handle it. One very early morning my wife came home from her shift at St. Mary's and there was a pack of Javelina's in the front yard making short work of her landscaping she was pissed. :P

One of the darnedest things I saw was down at Arthur Pack. Some buddies and I were playing a round of golf and we were on the 1st tee (dogleg right) and out of the desert came this commotion and then a roadrunner crossing the course with a rattler in it's beak just a writhing and rattling...first time I'd ever seen that. My one buddy who was a native Tucsonan said yeah not only is the roadrunner the clown of the desert but also the mongoose of the desert. :D

Sigh I really miss Tucson. :(

AZHokie

Post by AZHokie »

Biggest rattler I've ever seen was at the 7th hole of Arthur Pack (new name is "Crooked Tree" BTW). That sucker must have been 8 feet long and fat. I had wandered in back of the tee box into the scrub to relieve myself when I spotted it. Needless to say I decided to hold on since we were only a couple holes to the clubhouse.
[quote="Major Kong[/quote]I used to see quite a few GM's up there at work in the Dripping Springs Mountains...usually up in the rocks around some of the older mine adits.

I think I've said we lived up above Mt. View HS off Thornydale RD. We were one of the 1st houses in the area and Ole Jake Noshoulders was always making an appearance (usually a diamondback)...we'd just call Rural Metro and let them handle it. One very early morning my wife came home from her shift at St. Mary's and there was a pack of Javelina's in the front yard making short work of her landscaping she was pissed. :P

One of the darnedest things I saw was down at Arthur Pack. Some buddies and I were playing a round of golf and we were on the 1st tee (dogleg right) and out of the desert came this commotion and then a roadrunner crossing the course with a rattler in it's beak just a writhing and rattling...first time I'd ever seen that. My one buddy who was a native Tucsonan said yeah not only is the roadrunner the clown of the desert but also the mongoose of the desert. :D

Sigh I really miss Tucson. :([/quote]
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

AZHokie wrote:Biggest rattler I've ever seen was at the 7th hole of Arthur Pack (new name is "Crooked Tree" BTW). That sucker must have been 8 feet long and fat. I had wandered in back of the tee box into the scrub to relieve myself when I spotted it. Needless to say I decided to hold on since we were only a couple holes to the clubhouse.
Just saw this on KGUN 9's website. People need to be careful in the desert. :)