USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Hammerhead tows kayaker for 12mi over 2hrs

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Hammerhead tows kayaker for 12mi over 2hrs

Post by awesome guy »

That is awesome! I want to go on a ride like that, would be epic.

Speaking of which, I've been contemplating my own epic adventures. In-between trolling for stripers on the yak, I've been back at landing monster catfish. I got a pretty good one the other night that was close to 50 pounds. I caught him from the bank, but had one heck of a hard time getting it's head to turn and lift off the bottom. Like both feet planted firmly on the bank and my Saltist 30 real with 18 lbs of drag having a hard time getting him in. I caught it on the extra heavy rod I use on the yak and it was bowed up pretty good. So good it made me think about how to do this on the yak. The bottom line is it's going to be a lot trickier than I have anticipated. Firstly, catching a big fish on a kayak is as much about pulling you to the fish as the fish to you. That's the easy part. But a catfish runs to the bottom. And you need to put a lot of pressure on one to lift it off the bottom. That's going to be the hard part in the yak. I think I need to situate myself so that I'm always pulling the length of the boat. If I pull over the side then I'm going into the drink as has almost happened trying to get my 3lb. anchor unstuck from the bottom. A big cat is going to be that much harder. I could also hook up with it, then paddle to the bank, and fight it with my feet hanging over the edge and on the river bottom. But that kind of defeats the purpose. So hopefully the next report will be of landing a monster catfish on the yak or landing a monster striper. I doubt a striper will be challenging in that same way because they tend to run around more within the same water column instead of turning head down and trying to get on the bottom like a catfish. That challenge is in keeping the fish in front of you as it darts around from side to side. The horizontal fight vs. the vertical fight. Vertical is a lot harder in the yak since you have less leverage on the fish.

Anyway, that was a bad-arse tow. The dude should have landed it though :)
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.