Alternatively called "The Lounge"
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

PSA from Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

#1 - get your AC systems serviced annually
#2 - make sure who does it is qualified

If you don't you may find yourself in my position. I am sitting in a much cleaner home environment now that we've replaced our entire, bacteria riddled, AC unit (compressor and air handler). I can't believe the difference. Seriously check your systems. Our last service man did not check thoroughly apparently. We had a significant bacteria and mold issue that should have been caught. If you live in the house, over time, you don't' realize it. But we started noticing our oldest couldn't shake a cough and our eyes would be watery when waking up in the AM. Scary stuff actually.

Check systems people!
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: PSA from Florida Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Funny you mention this...I just found out last night that my rental property has mold. I am effed. :(
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Florida Hokie wrote:#1 - get your AC systems serviced annually

If you don't you may find yourself in my position. I am sitting in a much cleaner home environment now that we've replaced our entire, bacteria riddled, AC unit (compressor and air handler). I can't believe the difference. Seriously check your systems. Our last service man did not check thoroughly apparently. We had a significant bacteria and mold issue that should have been caught. If you live in the house, over time, you don't' realize it. But we started noticing our oldest couldn't shake a cough and our eyes would be watery when waking up in the AM. Scary stuff actually.

Check systems people!
I have kept this publication in my files for years. I've also got the publications for copper & lead pipes, asbestos, radon and lead paint if anybody needs them.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

Thanks Kong. We didn't touch the ducts. The industrial hygenist said duct "cleaning" generally does more harm than good. The HVAC man also treated the whole system with some kind of chemical that supposedly kills anything growing - as a one time, first time measure.

The difference in the house is remarkable.
Major Kong wrote:

Check systems people!
I have kept this publication in my files for years. I've also got the publications for copper & lead pipes, asbestos, radon and lead paint if anybody needs them.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:Thanks Kong. We didn't touch the ducts. The industrial hygenist said duct "cleaning" generally does more harm than good. The HVAC man also treated the whole system with some kind of chemical that supposedly kills anything growing - as a one time, first time measure.

Major Kong wrote:

Check systems people!
FloHo - what's a ballpark on cost for that, if you don't mind me asking. 4 figures..or 5?
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:Thanks Kong. We didn't touch the ducts. The industrial hygenist said duct "cleaning" generally does more harm than good. The HVAC man also treated the whole system with some kind of chemical that supposedly kills anything growing - as a one time, first time measure.

Major Kong wrote:

Check systems people!
FloHo - what's a ballpark on cost for that, if you don't mind me asking. 4 figures..or 5?
Off season I paid $7k for a really nice dual Lennox system 2 years ago. 15 SEER HP, 98% efficient gas furnace back-up. Really low energy costs and hardly ever have to kick in the gas furnace. If you buy in the dead of summer or in the dead of winter, expect to add 2k+ to that price. I also got a 10 yr warranty for that price ($800 of the $7k).

Lots of money but really happy with it overall.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Valencia Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Major Kong wrote:

Check systems people!
Off season I paid $7k for a really nice dual Lennox system 2 years ago. 15 SEER HP, 98% efficient gas furnace back-up. Really low energy costs and hardly ever have to kick in the gas furnace. If you buy in the dead of summer or in the dead of winter, expect to add 2k+ to that price. I also got a 10 yr warranty for that price ($800 of the $7k).

Lots of money but really happy with it overall.
Sorry, I was ambiguous - I meant the chemical treatment for the duct work that kills the bacteria. Other info was good though!
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

We don't have the mega-complex that Valencia has! We put in a 3 ton 13 SEER unit. Our AC guy was very good. He said you never want more unit than you need (tonnage). If you do, it won't run long enough to pull the humidity out of the air (this might be FL specific). That said, the unit, all in, was $2500 for the air handle and outside compressor. Bryant/Carrier. His treatment was added in as part of the install so I don't know what that would be. One reason we did it was because a cleaning of coils costs a bunch - if they have to pull the coil out of the unit, it's up to $600 to $700 - enough to consider if you need a new unit or not - which we did.

USN_Hokie wrote:FloHo - what's a ballpark on cost for that, if you don't mind me asking. 4 figures..or 5?