Bought one of those Indochino suits advertised here BigDave

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Bought one of those Indochino suits advertised here BigDave

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

BigDave,

I see we have these banner ads for Indochino, at least they show up for me.

I just got one of their suits in the mail. It's a pretty cool concept. I went to their store in SF and got measured about 20 different ways. Now they have all my measurements in their system and I can orders shirts, suits or pants from the site now. I bought a first suit, and it was $450 and fits better than anything I have ever worn. The quality of the material is OK, not great, but the fit is incredible.

Do you get any money if I click on the banner and buy a shirt? They have my measurements now, so I figure I'll buy some more stuff from them.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Bought one of those Indochino suits advertised here BigD

Post by USN_Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:BigDave,

I just got one of their suits in the mail. It's a pretty cool concept. I went to their store in SF and got measured about 20 different ways. Now they have all my measurements in their system and I can orders shirts, suits or pants from the site now. I bought a first suit, and it was $450 and fits better than anything I have ever worn. The quality of the material is OK, not great, but the fit is incredible.

Do you get any money if I click on the banner and buy a shirt? They have my measurements now, so I figure I'll buy some more stuff from them.
Sounds like a neat idea (haven't seen the ads, I have ad-blocker though...).

Are we talking bespoke, or to they just find a size which best fits your measurements?

ETA:

Just checked out the website...I like how you can get a second pair of pants - the pants always wear out first
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Are we talking bespoke, or to they just find a size which best fits your measurements?

ETA:

Just checked out the website...I like how you can get a second pair of pants - the pants always wear out first
They measured me two ways. They picked a suit that was a close match, and then measured all the deltas. They also just measured all my dimensions. The suit that showed up in the mail fit like a glove.

I am skinny so suits are always an issue. I wear a 40 long, but the pants that come with this size are 34s. My waist is more like. 31 or 32, so the back pockets often look too close together. I think for $450, this was a good deal. We will see how it wears. Hopefully it won't wear out fast. Cheap material sucks so I am hoping this is solid!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

ETA:

They measured me two ways. They picked a suit that was a close match, and then measured all the deltas. They also just measured all my dimensions. The suit that showed up in the mail fit like a glove.

I am skinny so suits are always an issue. I wear a 40 long, but the pants that come with this size are 34s. My waist is more like. 31 or 32, so the back pockets often look too close together. I think for $450, this was a good deal. We will see how it wears. Hopefully it won't wear out fast. Cheap material sucks so I am hoping this is solid!

Oh, I think the business model is that the suit is made in China. It took four weeks to show up.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

ETA:

Oh, I think the business model is that the suit is made in China. It took four weeks to show up.

That was my next question. ;)

Thanks. I think I'll try a shirt from them and see how I like it.
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

Looks interesting - you guys tell me what you think.

I also have some trouble getting a good fitting suit. Generally, I've had good fit with places that sell separates - i.e., pants to a size and jackets to a size (42L jacket, but pants are then too loose). Joseph A. Bank does these pretty well, but recently their quality has become really shirty and I'm looking for alternatives (also, things they sell as separates have a more limited selection of styles, color, etc.)

I do travel to Asia fairly regularly, and am always tempted in Hong Kong, Shanghai or Seoul to get suit custom made. Think I'll give that a try, but if you guys have good success with Indochino, let me know.

Some of the suits look a little hipster for my taste....
#JusticeForNolan
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

They are just Google ads - I don't have any control over which ones are shown (well, I can exclude individual ads or exclude whole topic areas) and I think they show up based on both keywords and your browsing history. They show up only when you are logged out. I don't get paid when you buy anything - just from the ad click.

So far, they have brought in a whopping $8.88. (Google doesn't actually pay you until you "earn" $100, so actually it has brought in $0.)
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:

They are just Google ads - I don't have any control over which ones are shown (well, I can exclude individual ads or exclude whole topic areas) and I think they show up based on both keywords and your browsing history. They show up only when you are logged out. I don't get paid when you buy anything - just from the ad click.

So far, they have brought in a whopping $8.88. (Google doesn't actually pay you until you "earn" $100, so actually it has brought in $0.)
So you get more money if I click on the ads? We should all click. Unfortunately, I don't see any ads on Tapatalk, but I can surf on my laptop if that helps.

BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote: So you get more money if I click on the ads? We should all click. Unfortunately, I don't see any ads on Tapatalk, but I can surf on my laptop if that helps.

Tapatalk has an option for monetization (which I assume means they run ads and give me a cut). I have intentionally not turned this on, nor have I turned on ads for the web version for logged in users.

I appreciate the offer to click on ads, but please only click on something that you are genuinely interested in or want to learn more about. Google throws out clicks that they suspect are just someone clicking to try and generate money.

If the site pays for itself, I'm happy. UWS is a hobby, unlike TSL, which is a business and obviously has a need to earn enough money to pay the full-time salaries of at least two people (Will+Chris) and presumably parts of the income of a few other people (TSL Dev, Chris Horne, maybe a few writers?).
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

By the way, just out of curiosity, what day did you click on it? Google has a thing that shows you your revenue by day. As you can see, there were four clicks on ads - Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. One of them was worth $2.92 and one of them was worth only 11 cents.

It says that 47.4% of my revenue is from "laptop computers", so I'm assuming that's probably one or both of the two over $2 ads.
adsense revenue.png
adsense revenue.png (13.2 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:By the way, just out of curiosity, what day did you click on it? Google has a thing that shows you your revenue by day. As you can see, there were four clicks on ads - Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. One of them was worth $2.92 and one of them was worth only 11 cents.

It says that 47.4% of my revenue is from "laptop computers", so I'm assuming that's probably one or both of the two over $2 ads.
adsense revenue.png
Not really sure BD. Wow, $3 for a click. I wonder what the hell the ad was for? Timeshares? Breast enhancement surgery?

I noticed something crazy the other day. I was joking around with friends at work cause I just moved to the Stepford wives burbs of Nor Cal. I was joking that I was going to change my name to Chip and start wearing those loud golf pants. I googled "loud golf pants" to grab a jpg to send with my email to my work friends.

Now, today, I go to Facebook and they are showing me ads on Facebook for loud golf pants. Does that blow you away at all? Good thing I wasn't searching for a dildo I guess. Lol

BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote: Not really sure BD. Wow, $3 for a click. I wonder what the hell the ad was for? Timeshares? Breast enhancement surgery?

I noticed something crazy the other day. I was joking around with friends at work cause I just moved to the Stepford wives burbs of Nor Cal. I was joking that I was going to change my name to Chip and start wearing those loud golf pants. I googled "loud golf pants" to grab a jpg to send with my email to my work friends.

Now, today, I go to Facebook and they are showing me ads on Facebook for loud golf pants. Does that blow you away at all? Good thing I wasn't searching for a dildo I guess. Lol
That's interesting about Google ... I wonder if Facebook is supplementing their own ads with Google ads (that seems doubtful) or if they are buying Google's data about you (that seems scary).

Google lets you choose to disable ads for "sensitive" areas. The sensitive areas are "black magic, Astrology & Esoteric", "Cosmetic Procedures & Body Modification", dating, "Drugs & Supplements", get rich quick, politics, references to sex & sexuality, religion, ringtones, sexual & reproductive health, video games, and weight loss. Oddly, all of those are on by default - gambling is opt in.

I imagine that dildos come into one of the two sexuality-related categories, so you won't see them here. The categories I have allowed are politics, religion, ringtones, video games, and gambling. The other sensitive categories are disabled.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

Be sure to stick those profits into one of your savings accounts!
BigDave wrote:By the way, just out of curiosity, what day did you click on it? Google has a thing that shows you your revenue by day. As you can see, there were four clicks on ads - Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. One of them was worth $2.92 and one of them was worth only 11 cents.

adsense revenue.png
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Google doesn't pay you until you hit $100. So say that I take that first $100 and put it into a savings account at .1% interest. After a year, it will have grown to $100.10. Wow! What an amazing savings rate!

When I was a kid, I used to have a passbook account that my grandparents set up for me when I was born. I don't remember how much was in there ... maybe $2000 at its heyday and probably not even that much ... but I remember it was getting over $20/quarter (they paid quarterly, not monthly) in interest. So that's better than 5% interest. That makes a savings account worthwhile. But now? Even if I have $10K to put in a savings account, that's $10/year. That isn't worth my time to mess with it.
Florida Hokie wrote:Be sure to stick those profits into one of your savings accounts!

adsense revenue.png