I'm a man weak to temptation

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
awesome guy
Party: After 10

I'm a man weak to temptation

Post by awesome guy »

very weak. The last time I fished needing any kind of significant weight[ >6 ounces] (a month or so ago where we tore up the redfish), I lost pretty much all of my weights to sharks. Like 5-10 pounds worth of lead. Lost 3-4 packs of Owner 10/0 circle hooks as well. They cleaned me out, I couldn't keep them off my line.(that and a 50-60 inch redfish that charged under the boat and I lost it :evil: ) I didn't brag about these because they were all 1-3 footers...small sharks. We made a mistake and didn't bring the crimper for steal leaders. But did move up the 100 lb. mono, even 150 lb. weed eater stuff. And they still bite off the leader. I had to lift the sharks a couple feet up to the rail of the boat and in that time, they would figuratively say "I'm a shaaak!" and go into the death spiral, sawing off the line. It was annoying to say the least. Anyway, I needed to refill the ole tackle box as I plan on either catfishing or redfish fishing in the next days. So I head up to Green Top and low and behold, they're now carrying kayaks and kayak fishing gear! I was like a kid in the candy store, overwhelmed, overjoyed, dancing, singing...all the coolness of yak-attack products in Green Top! So in my moment of weakness, I got an 8 foot stakeout pole. My "oh yeah, just getting some hooks honey" trip turned into a $120 trip :) And thus the wife stalking my tackle store trips, she knows my weakness. Anyway, some may be asking "it's a freaking pole! What's the big deal?". Well, this little baby is a game changer in the skinny water. Skinny water is the shallow stuff, like less than 4 feet of water. And that just so happens to be where the puppy drum (small, keeper sized redfish 18-26 inches) and speckled like to hang out in the summer. And just so happens to be where I fish the most in the summer. And this little pole allows me to quickly anchor up in a spot and them move. And this is critical redfishing, not so much with trout. Trout will pile into a hole and you can pull a bunch out of one spot. Sorta like crappie fishing in the saltware. Reds on the other hand, are spread out during high tide, schooled up a bit at low. But I like catching them at high tide. And so you need to be always moving, floating along a marsh, casting into it and pulling out a fish here and there and then move. You're most always moving...mostly. What this allows me to do is just jam the pole in the mud and cast off a grid. So say I float by a point, park the yak with the pole and then cast into every nook and break, getting better coverage of the area. Without it, I either move through a little too fast or have to fuss with the anchor. Now I can plant myself within a couple seconds, and the same to move again. It makes this style of fishing so much more productive. Once again, a quick trip to the tackle store for "bare essentials" turns into new toys :) When the wife gives me crap, I just point out "hey, at least I didn't come home with a $300 ABU Revo Toro like I did before". :mrgreen:

http://www.yakattack.us/PNP8_p/pnp8.htm

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Re: I'm a man weak to temptation

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I found an old photo of you AG!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I found an old photo of you AG!

Haha! I want one!

Got to use my stakeout pole tonight. Didn't catch crap, but the pole worked great. Only issue was it not digging in real good on one flat with super packed sand. So it pulled out a couple times. Worked like a champ in all other areas. The bay is still jacked from Arthur. The storm blew a bunch of weeds into the redfish zone, making it hard to fish. Houndfish were everywhere though. I could have slayed them if I brought live mullet. They were coming right up to the light on my kayak. So close I hit a couple in the head with my paddle. I love catching them, but don't want them around the boat as they're pretty much a saltwater gar and have a mouth full of teeth. One was a pig at about 4 feet long.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I think this photo is real. I got it from a twitter feed @HistoryInPics: The World's Record Black Sea Bass caught by Edward Llewellen in 1903. http://t.co/WmNPrmtG2p

“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I think this photo is real. I got it from a twitter feed @HistoryInPics: The World's Record Black Sea Bass caught by Edward Llewellen in 1903. http://t.co/WmNPrmtG2p

Monster. Looks like a golaith grouper to me. A beast either way.