Is anyone here, a runner? A bicyclist?

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

how much time do you put into that per week?

Just curious. :geek:
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
cwtcr hokie

Re: Is anyone here, a runner? A bicyclist?

Post by cwtcr hokie »

used to jog four miles a day til the left knee decided to malfunction on me, doc says no impact anymore

I used to bike at my former job as the area had a lot of bike lanes and was relatively safe to ride in, I did it during lunch hour, and used to ride about an hour, can't do it at my current job as the roads would get me killed
RiverguyVT wrote:how much time do you put into that per week?

Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

I do both, and I swim. I put 8-10 hours a week into exercise on avg. I also add in some cross training just to keep my interest. I'm supposed to do a 1/2 iron man in 2 weeks so my training is pretty intense right now. I'm over 13 hours a week in training. Normally I ride 50ish miles (outside or stationary) on a bike, swim 2-3 miles and try to run 12-15, a week. Sometimes those miles get way higher if I'm doing extensive training for a specific discipline.
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

I haven't run much since the marathon (back in 2013).

Getting ready to start back to training for a 1/2 though.

I generally put in around 2 -3 hours average a week. Of course, that goes up a bit when the longer training runs come into play (6 - 12) miles.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I run 2 to 3 hours one day a week basically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I run 2 to 3 hours one day a week basically

You stay injury free doing that? Seems like a lot of intense, prolonged exercise, which in my case would mean some serious plantar fasciitis or ITB issues.
Acela Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Moderate Democrat

Post by Acela Hokie »

Used to run, not so good for my achy knees now in my advanced age! :) But I'm still a cyclist, though not super-disciplined. I'll usually average a couple of rides per week, sometimes 15 or 20 miles, occasionally I'll do a 40 or 50 miler. I did 55 miles on one ride about a month ago. My cousin invited me to join him in a 100 mile bike ride event at the end of the month - not sure if I'm gonna attempt it yet!
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

yea, I am thinking that also. My lunch time workout is supplemented by morning feeding of the horses before work and then afternoon after work fixing stuff or mowing or some other activity until I run out of daylight.
Valencia Hokie wrote:

You stay injury free doing that? Seems like a lot of intense, prolonged exercise, which in my case would mean some serious plantar fasciitis or ITB issues.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Valencia Hokie wrote:

I will tell you this. Yoga is hands down the best thing I have ever done as a very, very, very middle aged person. I do one or two classes a week and I have zero running injuries now....nada...knock on wood

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Valencia Hokie wrote:

I will tell you this. Yoga is hands down the best thing I have ever done as a very, very, very middle aged person. I do one or two classes a week and I have zero running injuries now....nada...knock on wood

Is it exercise or just keeps you flexible?

I'm looking into yoga because my legs are so awesomely strong that when my hamstrings tighten, they beat out the back muscles and twist the hips/cause spasms. So keeping the hamstrings loose has solved my back issues. But why not go max and get yoga level flexibility?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Valencia Hokie wrote:

Is it exercise or just keeps you flexible?

I'm looking into yoga because my legs are so awesomely strong that when my hamstrings tighten, they beat out the back muscles and twist the hips/cause spasms. So keeping the hamstrings loose has solved my back issues. But why not go max and get yoga level flexibility?
It is def both strength and flexibility. I do what I think most people do, which is "vinyasa" yoga. Lots of planks, lunges, balancing, and stretches. My hammies suck in terms of flexibility and it has loosened them up some. I really love it, and there are hot girls to look at :)

Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Valencia Hokie wrote:

I do a lot of cross training (crossfit, boot camp, some yoga) too and it helps me as well with injury negation. Just though you laced up the shoes once a week and did 15 miles without any other exercise. That would destroy me.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Valencia Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Valencia Hokie wrote:

I do a lot of cross training (crossfit, boot camp, some yoga) too and it helps me as well with injury negation. Just though you laced up the shoes once a week and did 15 miles without any other exercise. That would destroy me.
I'll tell you, if I was fortunate enough to not have to work, I would exercise two hours every day. The people I have seen who do this are in super human condition, even as geezers like me :)
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote: I'll tell you, if I was fortunate enough to not have to work, I would exercise two hours every day. The people I have seen who do this are in super human condition, even as geezers like me :)
Yep! I was interviewed for an article recently about middle aged endurance racers. Someone at my YMCA recommended me for this (def. was not offering myself as someone worth interviewing). I had a very late start in life with this so I met their criteria. Little did I know, I would be the runt of this litter.

Some of the people in this article are simply astounding.

http://www.chesterfieldmonthly.com/heal ... -all-stars
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Valencia Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote: I'll tell you, if I was fortunate enough to not have to work, I would exercise two hours every day. The people I have seen who do this are in super human condition, even as geezers like me :)
Yep! I was interviewed for an article recently about middle aged endurance racers. Someone at my YMCA recommended me for this (def. was not offering myself as someone worth interviewing). I had a very late start in life with this so I met their criteria. Little did I know, I would be the runt of this litter.

Some of the people in this article are simply astounding.

http://www.chesterfieldmonthly.com/heal ... -all-stars
Awesome!!! Have you read "Finding Ultra" by Rich Roll? His story is similar to your!!!