Do you think Cheap Trick is a great band?

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Do you think Cheap Trick is a great band?

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Very Lounge like question, but a question nonetheless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Re: Do you think Cheap Trick is a great band?

Post by Florida Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Very Lounge like question, but a question nonetheless.

Middlin'
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

They are an entertaining band...and isn't that really all that matters?
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

They are okay I guess. They had what...2 or 3 good songs? Surrender, the Flame, and Don't be Cruel?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

good band, not a great one tho

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Teeny boppers in Japan love 'em. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I fell in love with "at Budokahn" in 8th grade. I am about to see them in November for what I bet to be the 10th time, everywhere from small clubs to arena shows.

They are good live. The best material is the first three album which proceeded Budokahn and then Dream Police which was released right after Budokahn. There are a few gems after that in terms of singles, but the albums never really gel together as well. Those albums all sounds a bit like collections of songs to some degree.

Rock On,

BAH
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I fell in love with "at Budokahn" in 8th grade. I am about to see them in November for what I bet to be the 10th time, everywhere from small clubs to arena shows.

They are good live. The best material is the first three album which proceeded Budokahn and then Dream Police which was released right after Budokahn. There are a few gems after that in terms of singles, but the albums never really gel together as well. Those albums all sounds a bit like collections of songs to some degree.

Rock On,

BAH
I saw them live at the Cat's Cradle maybe 13 or 14 years ago. Very fun show. They played a lot from their first four albums, which were all solid.
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

I think they are great in the same way Jimmy Buffet is great. Awesome live shows, much because of the crowd. But I think they are "eh" musically.

FWIW, ACDC is both a "bad" band and even worse in concert. But only behind REM in terms of performance. Blech...
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Perspective from someone born in 1979 that listened to 80's rock with an emphasis on hair metal. They sucked. In my MTV era days, their only video was Don't Be Cruel. What a colossal cover cluster eff that song was... The "good" stuff that predated that never kicked enough arse to get noticed by an arse kicker such as myself.

Only as an adult, did I find out their only other recognizable hit, if I'm stating this correctly, is "I want you to want me. I need you to need me." That song pretty much sucks too.

I respect that folks a good 10 years older than me may have had opportunities to listen to their work in its entirety and have a nostalgic liking for them. I've certainly gone back and listened to a lot of stuff older than me deserving of such, Led Zeppelin, Stones, and bits and pieces of other stuff. Cheap Trick ain't one of them! They suck!
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Valencia Hokie wrote:

I think they are great in the same way Jimmy Buffet is great. Awesome live shows, much because of the crowd. But I think they are "eh" musically.

FWIW, ACDC is both a "bad" band and even worse in concert. But only behind REM in terms of performance. Blech...
If AC DC is a "bad" band I don't want to listen to a good one! Many of their tunes are timeless arse kicking anthems. Go put on Tom Sawyer by Rush and feel great about how technically proficient that arse sucking song is while I'll listen to AC/DC kicking some arse with their basic chords!
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
Valencia Hokie wrote:

If AC DC is a "bad" band I don't want to listen to a good one! Many of their tunes are timeless arse kicking anthems. Go put on Tom Sawyer by Rush and feel great about how technically proficient that arse sucking song is while I'll listen to AC/DC kicking some arse with their basic chords!
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

BG Hokie wrote:
Valencia Hokie wrote:

AC/DC is certainly worthy of praise, but they don't have anything that can match "He's a Whore." That song's the number one stunna!
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
Valencia Hokie wrote:

Classic reply. I didn't say I didn't like them. They are in constant rotation in my running mixes. But they really do suck as musicians and lyricists. Plus the fact that they won't put thier songs on itunes? = bad.