Six years and I finally built a new computer...

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Six years and I finally built a new computer...

Post by Major Kong »

My mom's farmville playing computer (an old Compaq that actually hung in there for 8 years) conked out so I decided that the time had come for a new PC...hellfar I was 6 years out of date :!: :mrgreen:

So I took my PC over to her and set it up just like she had hers...email and Firefox for her games. :)

The biggest differences are she went from a Celeron to an i7-920 processor, 2 gig of memory to 8 gig of memory, onboard video to a Radeon HD 7790 video card and a nice Thermaltake Laser III case.

Then I went upscale too:
  • ASUS X99-A LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 motherboard (chosen over the Gigabyte version)
    Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz
    Gigabyte Odin GT 800W P/S best power supplies out there if you can find one
    Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for the operating system Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
    Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Desktop Memory (for now...will upgrade to 32gig or more later)
    PowerColor AXR9 280X V/C (I already had but never used)
    Thermaltake Chaser Series Chaser MK-I case (I already had but hadn't used)
    LG 29UM65 Black 29" IPS monitor (already had)
    Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner (I already had but hadn't used)
Everything from newegg.

I'm waiting for a USB 3.0 front bracket to put in the front of the case.

The parts all got here late Thursday afternoon via UPS...my hands and dexterity cooperated to get the system built with only a few hand, finger and thumb lock ups.

I burned the system in with SiSoft Sandra Thursday night thru Friday afternoon with no restarts and everything is going fine.

The greatest news is I gave my Mom my 6 years old PC so maybe she'll get this in a year or so and I'll get even with technology again. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.