Movie WILD, violated the oakton therory of movie enjoyment.

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
oaktonhokie

Movie WILD, violated the oakton therory of movie enjoyment.

Post by oaktonhokie »

The theory as i'm certain you are all aware, suggests that the enjoyment received from a movie is inversely proportional to the expectations one has before viewing.

My awareness of the film was minimal, but my expectations were negative.

By the oakton theory, the movie should have been a moderate success.

No.

I was one of five people in my party, three liked it, two of us were sane.

I wondered going in, how they could make a 1,000 mile sojourn in California interesting. Evidently, they could not.

SPOILER ALERT...Stop reading if you don't want to know more....

Laura dern is cast receece witherspoon's mother. In real life, LD is about ten years older than RW. In the movie, there is a four year time between the death of LD and RW's walk.

The age difference didn't work, imo. They looked more like sisters or friends, not mother and daughter.

The death of her mother knocks the snot out of RW. She turns to drugs, carefree sex and blahblahblah. She divorces her husband of seven years.

She starts walking. Slowly.

Too slowly.

She encounters many things on her walk of introspection and self actualization.

Virtually none are interesting.

Near the end, she comes upon a llama. No, not the dali lama, a four legged llama, with a harness and saddle, separated from its owner. A boy of about eight and his grandmother appear to claim their beast of burden. The boy says that he is not supposed to say what is wrong with him...or something. I had lost interest in the flick by now and was not exactly riveted. Anyway, the boy sings a song and leaves. RW, falls to her knees on the muddy path and weeps uncontrollably.

OK.

Simon and garfunkle songs were playing throughout most of the move. "I'm sitting in the railway station, got a ticket for my destination...." and "I'd rather be a hammer than a nail...."

The movie takes place in 1995. Were S&G big in 1995?

This may have been witherspoon's coming out party. From the ditzy college bimbo to hardened heroine slut with f bombs dropping like flies, she is now a groan up. Yay.

Her moderately attractive breasts are on display sporadically in the film, mostly through incessant flashbacks. Maybe 15 years ago, chicky.

Throughout the movie, the screen shows "Day 5," or "Day 38." To let us know how far she has to go. Occasionally she would say that she had walked 600 miles and only had about 500 miles to go.

All I could think of was, "Walk faster. Please. Or jog. Or take a bus."

Um, no.

One in my party said it was interesting because it was true. Being true does not make something interesting.

Evidently.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
BG Hokie

Re: Movie WILD, violated the oakton therory of movie enjoyme

Post by BG Hokie »

It just warms my heart to know that in real life, you're a likable enough guy that people will go out in public with you.