What do you eat on the road?

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
awesome guy
Party: After 10

What do you eat on the road?

Post by awesome guy »

Fighting the battle of the bulge. But a week of traveling on the man's dime is a worthy adversary. How do you keep the calories down when every meal is at a nice restaurant without eating salads all the time? I'm thinking about crushing some low carb Chesapeake crabs tonight :)
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: What do you eat on the road?

Post by Major Kong »

I tend to try and not eat on the road...it's dangerous and not very sanitary.

My family always tried to move the road kill off the road first. We've found this product very helpful.
:P :)

Seriously though back when I was traveling I would try and hit deli's and local restaurants and stay away from the fast food and chains.

FTR Chesapeake Bay Crabs are a great start. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:I tend to try and not eat on the road...it's dangerous and not very sanitary.

My family always tried to move the road kill off the road first. We've found this product very helpful.
:P :)

Seriously though back when I was traveling I would try and hit deli's and local restaurants and stay away from the fast food and chains.

FTR Chesapeake Bay Crabs are a great start. :D
Did that tonight. Came back to one of my old favorite Mexican restaurants. But discovered they 86'd this incredible seafood burrito. Seriously, it was ridiculous. Now everything is under $13 so I'm compensating with beer and carmones Diablo. That burrito was sick. The chef here beats 99% of them I've encountered in CA and AZ. Just one place in Old Town San Diego is better.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:Did that tonight. Came back to one of my old favorite Mexican restaurants. But discovered they 86'd this incredible seafood burrito. Seriously, it was ridiculous. Now everything is under $13 so I'm compensating with beer and carmones Diablo. That burrito was sick. The chef here beats 99% of them I've encountered in CA and AZ. Just one place in Old Town San Diego is better.
If you're ever in the area there's a place in Tucson that is the best hands down burrito's and Mexican food I've ever had.

It's called Los Nopales on Kinney Road on the way to Old Tucson Studios and the Sonora Desert Museum. It's a small family run business that serves Sonoran style food...it is most gooderly. :)

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Did that tonight. Came back to one of my old favorite Mexican restaurants. But discovered they 86'd this incredible seafood burrito. Seriously, it was ridiculous. Now everything is under $13 so I'm compensating with beer and carmones Diablo. That burrito was sick. The chef here beats 99% of them I've encountered in CA and AZ. Just one place in Old Town San Diego is better.
If you're ever in the area there's a place in Tucson that is the best hands down burrito's and Mexican food I've ever had.

It's called Los Nopales on Kinney Road on the way to Old Tucson Studios and the Sonora Desert Museum. It's a small family run business that serves Sonoran style food...it is most gooderly. :)
I'll have to hit that. May be that way Christmas.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Major Kong wrote:

Looks like I will be there again late October/early November. Will have to check it out.

I've been a road warrior the past three months and am hoping to be home (Brighton, CO) next week. People who think the traveling portion of my job is "neat" or "must be nice"...I just give them "the look".....When I do travel, I try to find good local food. Trip Advisor helps.
Finding good hotels is another joy! :|
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieHam wrote:Looks like I will be there again late October/early November. Will have to check it out.

I've been a road warrior the past three months and am hoping to be home (Brighton, CO) next week. People who think the traveling portion of my job is "neat" or "must be nice"...I just give them "the look".....When I do travel, I try to find good local food. Trip Advisor helps.
We miss Tucson so bad, for over 12 yrs it was our home...we're still looking at heading back out there in 5 yrs. AZHOKIE59 is in the Old Pueblo give him a shout. I haven't met him personally but he seems like a very gooderly fella.

Another great little place, I assume it's still there, is the El Charo Cafe. It's a little hard to find but well worth it. It's off I-10...get off at the St. Mary's exit (my wife was head triage RN at St. Mary's Hospital she bring home take out about once a week) turn back towards downtown and St. Mary's turns into W. 6th St...merge right on N. Church Street...turn right on W. Franklin then one block to Court Ave and turn left...the cafe will be on your right.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:Fighting the battle of the bulge. But a week of traveling on the man's dime is a worthy adversary. How do you keep the calories down when every meal is at a nice restaurant without eating salads all the time? I'm thinking about crushing some low carb Chesapeake crabs tonight :)
There is an iPhone and Android app called "Happy Cow". It uses your location to tell you how far you are from a vegan or vegetarian meal. It doesn't only show you those kinds of restaurants, but restaurants that are friendly to those ways of eating. Thus, if you wanted low fat while on the road, it is probably good for carnivores as well. Most of the restaurants it recommends are only "vegan friendly", not full blown vegan, and it tells you the exact status of whether meat is served.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Looks like I will be there again late October/early November. Will have to check it out.

The problem with business travel is that the locations you travel to are rarely places you'd want to visit as a tourist, and even if they were, they are spoiled by the business at hand. Business travel sucks.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Sushi tonight. Winning! Duh
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

The problem with business travel is that the locations you travel to are rarely places you'd want to visit as a tourist, and even if they were, they are spoiled by the business at hand. Business travel sucks.
I have to give my corporate masters credit. Our offices globally are SF, DC, Miami, Denver, Cape Town and Singapore. We closed London which sucks. We have a big site in India too, but I don't manage programmers so I haven't gone.

Not really a bad spot on the list!

“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

I have to give my corporate masters credit. Our offices globally are SF, DC, Miami, Denver, Cape Town and Singapore. We closed London which sucks. We have a big site in India too, but I don't manage programmers so I haven't gone.

Not really a bad spot on the list!

Bay Area...have to assume SF? I'll have to let you know next time I'm out that way. Have to buy you a few.

Kong.....thanks for the suggestions...I will have to check them out next month. If you do find a spot out west, I'd love to have a couple of brewski's as well.

I'm in Portland this week and for the past few evenings, my customer has been showing me his favorite local brewers...makes the trip more betterly.... :D
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

awesome guy wrote:Fighting the battle of the bulge. But a week of traveling on the man's dime is a worthy adversary. How do you keep the calories down when every meal is at a nice restaurant without eating salads all the time? I'm thinking about crushing some low carb Chesapeake crabs tonight :)
primal diet curbs hunger. meat and protein with little to no carbs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4