Kayaking on the bay

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
Homebrew

Kayaking on the bay

Post by Homebrew »

Took my father out on the bay with his new kayak on Thursday. T storms delayed our outing until the early afternoon so we hit the water as the tide fell (of course the bite was off). Anyway, we had a good time exploring the bay using the fish finder and drifting over dropoffs.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Kayaking on the bay

Post by awesome guy »

Homebrew wrote:Took my father out on the bay with his new kayak on Thursday. T storms delayed our outing until the early afternoon so we hit the water as the tide fell (of course the bite was off). Anyway, we had a good time exploring the bay using the fish finder and drifting over dropoffs.

Lucky. The weather man juked me out of taking a boat or kayak out. Was fired up to cobia fishing on Friday on a motor boat, but the weather man said storms starting at 10-12 am. That would have given us just 4 or so hours of fishing, so we called it off. turned out to be great weather till 6-7pm. So then we looked at Saturday, same prediction and same outcome. What I did was drive down to the OBX Friday night to surf fish for sharks. Using what we now know was a busted forecast, saw a window from 10pm till 6-8 am on Saturday. So went down Friday afternoon, was set up on the beach by 10 pm and shark fished all night. Then dawn came and I stared at a beautiful ocean till 12 pm, dreaming of what might have been if I ignored the lying, good for nothing weather man. Left for home at noon. And after all the talk of sharks on the news, we went there fully expecting to load up on them and hang into a couple monsters. Nope, I got just two 3 foot spinner sharks. I hooked into something decent, but no monster. It felt like a 4 footer or so, but it's tail swiped my shock leader and cut off. My buddy had just one hookup that let go as it didn't have the hook in it's mouth. He also got a 60 pound sea turtle. We had a hard time catching bait fish too, just a couple round heads, spot, etc. In short, it sucked. We might have had a decent day if we rolled the dice with the weather. I've been catching that same class of 1-3 foot shark all summer. My buddy and I got about 50 on one trip, they're a freaking nuisance. And I ended up wasting time and money to catch just 2 of them annoying bait thieves. I should have gone cobia fishing. I already got one nice 44 incher this summer and my buddy got a 35 incher the previous trip. We also got 2 trophy drum a piece and caught 12 bull drum total. They were all on the eastern shore and that place had been on fire.

The puppy drum bite has been practically nonexistent so far. Guides and friends I know are getting skunked consistently. Even my honey hole from last year where my buddy and I were nailing 20-30 puppy drum a piece per trip has produced nothing. I wanted to take my kayak into the upper James this weekend too, but didn't because it's been so muddy from the rain last week. I checked it out on the way home today and may make an unscheduled trip this week as it seems whenever I have a schedule, mother nature or the weather man jack it up. Only by being agile and last minute can I act before evil forces can sabotage my stated plans :) Or I could start saying "yeah, I'm going to the river" while thinking "eastern shore!" the whole time. That way the river is jacked and the bay producing. Anyway, it's been a rough summer. I want to get a couple monster flatheads before the spawn. And the blue cats should be coming off their spawn here soon. I'm hoping the late summer puppy drum bite is good, but aren't optimistic so far.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.