VT now 0-1 on the season.

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Not trolling, but if Beamer doesn't willingly retire at the end of the season, I would fire him. Can't have a lost decade scenario like FSU.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
UpstateSCHokie

Re: VT now 0-1 on the season.

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:Not trolling, but if Beamer doesn't willingly retire at the end of the season, I would fire him. Can't have a lost decade scenario like FSU.
Seriously, who are these people that think Beamer should be allowed to stay as long as he wants? There's a shrinking but still significant group of posters on TSL that defend him no matter what. I just don't understand that mindset. This program is in the lower half of the ACC. Change is desparately needed.

And what was with playing Motley while he was clearly hurt at the end of the game. That was disgraceful!

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Seriously, who are these people that think Beamer should be allowed to stay as long as he wants?
He should stay as long as he wants ... provided that he wants to retire at the end of the season.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

BigDave wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:Seriously, who are these people that think Beamer should be allowed to stay as long as he wants?
He should stay as long as he wants ... provided that he wants to retire at the end of the season.
Okay, I'll go along with that. :-)

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

Can we wait until the season plays out before we throw dirt on Coach Beamer?

At any rate, Beamer, IMHO, will not coach beyond the 2016 season, no matter what happens for the rest of this season. If we have a lousy 2015, I think he will retire at the end- Whit will not have to do anything...

The reason fans are saying that Beamer should make that decision is they trust him not to hurt the program he built from the ground up.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Just not fun to watch anymore......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:The reason fans are saying that Beamer should make that decision is they trust him not to hurt the program he built from the ground up.
Bobby Bowden's Lost Decade says hi.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

Bobby Bowden's Lost Decade says hi.

Beamer is not Bowden...
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:Bobby Bowden's Lost Decade says hi.

Beamer is not Bowden...
If Beamer is interested in what's best for the program, he'll retire at the end of the year.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:

Beamer is not Bowden...
If Beamer is interested in what's best for the program, he'll retire at the end of the year.
Look, this situation is a classic situation of someone not having the energy to put in the work required to be successful. I love CFB, but his getting paid $2.3M to coach a football team that is on of the worst ten in the Big 5 conferences. I mean, we suck. I now think giving Bud that bonus was a HUGE mistake. He has lost his fire too.

Reboot time. Frank is screwing all of us right now. He is not doing his job. I would fire his ass tonight if I was Whit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Beamer is not Bowden...
Look, this situation is a classic situation of someone not having the energy to put in the work required to be successful. I love CFB, but his getting paid $2.3M to coach a football team that is on of the worst ten in the Big 5 conferences. I mean, we suck. I now think giving Bud that bonus was a HUGE mistake. He has lost his fire too.

Reboot time. Frank is screwing all of us right now. He is not doing his job. I would fire his ass tonight if I was Whit.

I don't know about the tonight part, but the end of the season should be the absolute latest. However, I don't agree with those who tout "look what Frank has done for the program blah blah blah". That's a moot point with a multi-million dollar employee who's paid to be the CEO of the football program. You should be demanding multi-million dollar results.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

I would fire his ass tonight if I was Whit.

I'm glad you are not Whit. That would be stupid.

If this season continues with this trajectory, I feel that he will. He doesn't have Bowden's ego.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Yup.

I left at half time. The weather was awful.

So were we.

What big time recruit will commit to a school when he doesn't know who his coach will be in two years?

HokieHam wrote:Just not fun to watch anymore......
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

The reason I would fire Frank, is that he created a huge mess and he has no ability to fix this. I would make Bud interim HC, and see what he can do.

I get angrier by the minute thinking about a guy getting paid $2.3M to put a complete turd like that on the field. If he is too ill for this job, then retire. We are probably the 100th best college football program at this point, and we just built him a huge practice facility. Wtf? This is years in the making. Lazy about recruiting, lazy about hiring, lazy about everything.

Also, his pattern of hiring unqualified close personal people for big jobs is insane. Shane is a mental midget who is in effect the new Stiney. Who the hell doesn't stick with a RB, but instead plays RB by committee? He is a dumbass and should be coaching HS along with Stiney.

Assuming Foster has some fire left, which he might not, give him a shot as interim coach. CFB is starting to feel like a grifter to me, and I am pissed. I feel like he is stealing from the school at this point, and getting his son on the payroll is especially irritating.

HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Beamer doesn't leave before playing UT @BMS in 2016 IMO. I hope I'm wrong.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
miles

Post by miles »

Sigh.... :cry: You guys represent the new fans since 2000, the wave of the future. There will be turmoil, firings, reinventions of the wheel, new beginnings, etc etc, and what will be accomplished?

What I am looking forward to is the remainder of this season; growth and development of young players in difficult positions and playing for each other, and an improved OL by the end of the season.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

miles wrote:Sigh.... :cry: You guys represent the new fans since 2000, the wave of the future. There will be turmoil, firings, reinventions of the wheel, new beginnings, etc etc, and what will be accomplished?

What I am looking forward to is the remainder of this season; growth and development of young players in difficult positions and playing for each other, and an improved OL by the end of the season.
I graduated from VT in 91'. :)
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I graduated in 1988

Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Ok, so last night showed me something. I guess Frank cannot delegate much to this staff, because he had to personally take over the reigns to get this team prepared to win a game.

I stand by everything I said above. Shane, who I will forever refer to as Spaulding, had to have dad tell him how to properly staff the running back position during games. SL apparently is lacking leadership based on CC's comments in tsl about the urgency at practice last week, compared to the lead up to the Pitt game.

Coach hasn't been in great health, so he delegated more than usual, and his direct reports let him down. It is clear to me that there is no one on this staff who could step up to take his place, including Bud, and I say that with the utmost respect for Bud.

Frank has been burned in the past trusting unworthy assistants.

miles

Post by miles »

Golly gee whiz!
Imagine that. Head ball coach exerts authority and tells assistants what he wants done and how. Prima facia evidence that the old coot should be gone. Never should have happened. Never would happen with a great coach like Nick Saban (oops), er Joe Paterno (oops), Ara Parseghian (oops), Lou Holtz (oops), Les Miles (oops), ... uh, ... Mike London (yeah - him :lol: ).

C'mon now. Let's just try to be Hokie fans, not Philly fans.

Biggest problems for this team were known but not acknowledged by the rose colored glasses fans before the season. Now those fans have tossed the glasses and just have blood in their eyes. OL was weak and still looking to improve. It's been rough. Pitt handed them their ass. Linebacker was weak, inexperienced and lacking depth. That's continued to be painfully obvious. OK, the entire coaching staff should be fired for not signing Myles Jack and three other consensus AAs and first round draft picks. Really?
Into the season, some critical injuries occur. excrement happens, you deal with it. We're dealing. Let it play out. The season is a process. Let it be and don't hit the panic button.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

I think a lot of credit needs to be given to the players for not mentally quitting after going down 10-0 given how things had been trending. Granted, it's still NC State, but Beamer-coached teams have a history of bouncing back in spots like that (e.g. Clemson '06 after the previous week's debacle at BC) and responding from an emotional standpoint.

One game does not a course correction make, but I still believe that this should be Beamer's final year.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

I give the coaches some credit for realizing after last week that we needed a different tack.

The short passes in the flat slowed the pass rush and opened lanes to run.

Defense was good.

Motley looked good, at times.

Basically, we had one good quarter and one great play. Other than that....

nolanvt wrote:I think a lot of credit needs to be given to the players for not mentally quitting after going down 10-0 given how things had been trending. Granted, it's still NC State, but Beamer-coached teams have a history of bouncing back in spots like that (e.g. Clemson '06 after the previous week's debacle at BC) and responding from an emotional standpoint.

One game does not a course correction make, but I still believe that this should be Beamer's final year.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
miles

Post by miles »

nolanvt wrote:I think a lot of credit needs to be given to the players for not mentally quitting after going down 10-0 given how things had been trending. Granted, it's still NC State, but Beamer-coached teams have a history of bouncing back in spots like that (e.g. Clemson '06 after the previous week's debacle at BC) and responding from an emotional standpoint.

There's no chance he's going to Huntington, Nolan. None. :)
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Miles, just curious, is CFB accountable for anything in your mind, or has he earned unlimited tenure and $2M+ for life, in addition to right to hire unqualified relatives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miles

Post by miles »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Miles, just curious, is CFB accountable for anything in your mind, or has he earned unlimited tenure and $2M+ for life, in addition to right to hire unqualified relatives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course Frank Beamer is accountable. He is accountable for the terms of his contract, the VT employee handbook, upholding the standards and presenting a good impression of the university both publically and privately and a host of other things. He has not earned unlimited tenure and $2M+ for life and he would tell you this himself. He has not hired unqualified relatives by any objective measure.
Now, undoubtedly many, including you, are butt hurt about the W/L record over recent years and the perceived disaster in the making this season. Calm down a little. He will retire sooner than later. I really hate to see dissatisfied boo birds turn this into a manure pile.
My worthless guess is that he hopes to go through 2016 and then, depending upon several factors, possibly retire. He has alluded to such a scenario himself. I fail to see the utility in all the agitation to turn this into a JoPa or Bowden situation when that is so uncalled for and so unnecessary.