If any one care to explain the last minute of regulation

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

I am all ears. Our coaches took that minute off.
UpstateSCHokie

Re: If any one care to explain the last minute of regulation

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:I am all ears. Our coaches took that minute off.
Beamer thought Ford went out of bounds and the clock had stopped. Instead, the refs ruled Ford's forward progress had stopped before he went out of bounds and they started the clock. Our coaches took their eyes off the clock and it ran down before we ran the next play. Our coaches should have been paying attention to the clock, but they were not.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

That is an absurd explanation for a ridiculous call. OF COURSE his forward progress stopped, he went sideways to get out of bounds.

The stadium was very confused and justifiably angry. Kept waiting for the refs to put time back on the clock.

One man's opinion re the crowd. It was good. Homecoming and all. Loud excited and into the game. I noticed afterward and my friend agreed that the crowd was not suicidal, despondent or stunned. I remember the BC game a few years ago when we thought we were good and matt ryan beat us (and bud foster's prevent defense)... the crowd was in denial and disbelief.

Tonight, nbd. Let's party. The game is now entertainment, not life and death. Expectations are lower, as is the level of play.

Maybe that's good.

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:I am all ears. Our coaches took that minute off.
Beamer thought Ford went out of bounds and the clock had stopped. Instead, the refs ruled Ford's forward progress had stopped before he went out of bounds and they started the clock. Our coaches took their eyes off the clock and it ran down before we ran the next play. Our coaches should have been paying attention to the clock, but they were not.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
miles

Post by miles »

The FloHo will say I'm wrong again, but over on the the trash board run by parasites making a living off trashing the program, Burgrugby and Upstate were trying to get the rumor mill going regarding a fight this past week between Beamer and Loeffler. Others were speculating on Beamer's having dementia. Also, many are trashing Foster. It's a nasty environment, but I didn't notice any deactivations. Maybe Flo could tattle to Will Stewart and earn some brownie points.

For the record, imo it was a good game. We're better with Brewer than Motley. I thought we lost momentum and a possession in the first half. We were moving the ball when Motley was inserted and promptly called a timeout. We then stalled out. The two pt conversion call was fine to me, but again, inserting a cold Motley to execute the play proved to be a mistake, imo. The wide receiver screens were ineffective as usual. It did seem that several times when the mojo was go go, the play caller in the booth decided to try something else, which then killed the mojo. The season long problems with the OL and pass blocking continues, and the problem at Mike on defense allowed the Duke qb to look like Tebow.

The clock thingy was a nightmare. I thought it was an egregious screwup by the refs, but, yes, Beamer should have been on it like a pitbull in the moment it happened, even by calling a timeout and starting an argument with the refs over it. But all in all, none of that cost us the game.

Duke won. Good on Duke. I'm not going to slash my wrists, curse the coaches, curse the players, withhold my donations, or act like an entitled arrogant jackass. Win or lose, I'll be a Hokie. If the coaches won't give up, and the players won't give up, true fans won't give up either.

So I say: Let's go Tech! Beat BC!
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

miles wrote:The FloHo will say I'm wrong again, but over on the the trash board run by parasites making a living off trashing the program, Burgrugby and Upstate were trying to get the rumor mill going regarding a fight this past week between Beamer and Loeffler. Others were speculating on Beamer's having dementia. Also, many are trashing Foster. It's a nasty environment, but I didn't notice any deactivations. Maybe Flo could tattle to Will Stewart and earn some brownie points.

For the record, imo it was a good game. We're better with Brewer than Motley. I thought we lost momentum and a possession in the first half. We were moving the ball when Motley was inserted and promptly called a timeout. We then stalled out. The two pt conversion call was fine to me, but again, inserting a cold Motley to execute the play proved to be a mistake, imo. The wide receiver screens were ineffective as usual. It did seem that several times when the mojo was go go, the play caller in the booth decided to try something else, which then killed the mojo. The season long problems with the OL and pass blocking continues, and the problem at Mike on defense allowed the Duke qb to look like Tebow.

The clock thingy was a nightmare. I thought it was an egregious screwup by the refs, but, yes, Beamer should have been on it like a pitbull in the moment it happened, even by calling a timeout and starting an argument with the refs over it. But all in all, none of that cost us the game.

Duke won. Good on Duke. I'm not going to slash my wrists, curse the coaches, curse the players, withhold my donations, or act like an entitled arrogant jackass. Win or lose, I'll be a Hokie. If the coaches won't give up, and the players won't give up, true fans won't give up either.

So I say: Let's go Tech! Beat BC!
Burgrugby asked and I was merely passing along information I had heard regarding when an announcement might be forthcoming. Will Stewart was actually the one that said making an announcement during a regular week of practice would not make sense because of the very tight and regimented schedule the staff and players keep. So if an announcement was going to come before the end of the season, the only time it would make sense is during the bye week.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:That is an absurd explanation for a ridiculous call. OF COURSE his forward progress stopped, he went sideways to get out of bounds.
But that's the rule. Beamer was asleep at the wheel.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

The rule requires judgment and interpretation.

I believe the refs blew this one. Do you agree with the call? I am not arguing the rule, only the judgment and implementation of the call in this case.

As I recall there were 18 seconds left when he went out of bounds. Can't be positive, I was distracted by a very pretty girl in a very short skirt standing on the steps to my left. Nonetheless, in my opinion, the bad call cost us two, maybe three plays.

Of course, giving us two maybe three plays could mean that we did not throw a pick six with nine seconds left...

nolanvt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:That is an absurd explanation for a ridiculous call. OF COURSE his forward progress stopped, he went sideways to get out of bounds.
But that's the rule. Beamer was asleep at the wheel.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

If #5 had not stepped backwards before going out of bounds, the clock would have stopped. However he took a step backwards. CFB should have been looking at the clock. Whatever. The much bigger problem is the "appeasement" mentality where we rotate in players who have no business playing in the game.

My fear right now is that SL is getting all the heat internally for our suckage, while Bud, CFB and Spaulding get a free pass and another almost $4M collectively next year for another sub .500 performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

He actually went backwards a yard before going out of bounds...thus his forward progress stopped. It was a fair call. Our coaches simply screwed the pooch...again. VT has been horrible in terms of clock management for some time now. IIWII.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
He actually went backwards a yard before going out of bounds...thus his forward progress stopped. It was a fair call. Our coaches simply screwed the pooch...again. VT has been horrible in terms of clock management for some time now. IIWII.
This is correct. The abnormal situation is when they get something like this right, or we come out ahead in a close game. Frankly, as you noted and pun intended, it's been like that for years. This is nothing new. What is new is that we are playing equally talented teams more.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Ever seen a punt return where the return man is hit and goes backwards for three or four steps and then resets himself and moves forward?

He was not down, he was not stopped. He had the capacity to restart and move forward. The whistle does not blow in those cases. The refs blow in this case.

I would like to see the play again. Maybe i'm mistaken, but it seems to me that the refs blew this, bit time.

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
This is correct. The abnormal situation is when they get something like this right, or we come out ahead in a close game. Frankly, as you noted and pun intended, it's been like that for years. This is nothing new. What is new is that we are playing equally talented teams more.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

In regards to the out of bounds and not stopping the clock, normally the ref is very emphatic with his signal when they don't stop the clock. I didn't notice that so I'm curious did the ref actual signal that the clock should not be stopped?
People who know, know.