how many of you would be ok giving Bud a shot at HC?

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

how many of you would be ok giving Bud a shot at HC?

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

If he could hire some hotshot recruiting guys and an incredible OC, I could give it a few years....
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
oaktonhokie

Re: how many of you would be ok giving Bud a shot at HC?

Post by oaktonhokie »

No.

New approach needed. In everything.

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:If he could hire some hotshot recruiting guys and an incredible OC, I could give it a few years....
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:If he could hire some hotshot recruiting guys and an incredible OC, I could give it a few years....
I used to think that but really don't any more. I don't know when that changed for me. Rather gradual, I would say. If Bud were an ace recruiter, I think I would feel different because I really do think he'd make good choices in staff hirings, etc. I really do, I think he would go after offensive minds that are better than what we've had. I just don't think he's the ultimate salesman that a head guy needs to be and that might be acceptable if he had a history of being a head coach with success in despite of not being a great salesman. But those two things lacking, are probably a deal breaker for me.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:No.

New approach needed. In everything.

I agree with Oakton on this. All the way.

Now, where are those Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

If Bud wanted to be the HC post-Beamer, he should've attempted to become a first-time HC prior to the age of 56.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I've heard the next HC at VT will be Mike Smith.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:I've heard the next HC at VT will be Mike Smith.
You mean the Falcon's former coach? An NFL guy would blow me away in terms of someone I wouldn't expect.

I'll say this for Whit. I think Tommy T was a great hire for Cincinnati. Not good enough for us, but great for them.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

He wouldn't be my first choice as HC, but I still think he's a solid DC. I think if you give BF some studs to work with he can give you a shutdown defense. But that requires good depth at DT and LB. It also requires at least one lockdown corner, and a heavy-hitter at safety IMO.

Of all the candidates I've read about thus far, Rich Rodriguez would be my last choice. Not because I don't think he's a good coach, but I think he's a little unstable. I mean, he was a WV alum and that wasn't enough to hold him there. Of course, money talks but he was really building a powerhouse @WVU. Plus, I'm not sure he can do well with a program/conference that prides itself on student/athletes. Maybe I'm wrong.

One thing is for certain. We have some good options available thanks to Beamer. Also, based on his Peterson hire, I feel pretty good about Babcock making the right call.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

We can probably get sarkesan for a case of bud and a fifth of jack.

HokieJoe wrote:He wouldn't be my first choice as HC, but I still think he's a solid DC. I think if you give BF some studs to work with he can give you a shutdown defense. But that requires good depth at DT and LB. It also requires at least one lockdown corner, and a heavy-hitter at safety IMO.

Of all the candidates I've read about thus far, Rich Rodriguez would be my last choice. Not because I don't think he's a good coach, but I think he's a little unstable. I mean, he was a WV alum and that wasn't enough to hold him there. Of course, money talks but he was really building a powerhouse @WVU. Plus, I'm not sure he can do well with a program/conference that prides itself on student/athletes. Maybe I'm wrong.

One thing is for certain. We have some good options available thanks to Beamer. Also, based on his Peterson hire, I feel pretty good about Babcock making the right call.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

If he brings in a new OC that runs a high-scoring offense and can recruit, I could be okay with it.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Considering the issues the D has had the past several years, I'd seriously question such a move. There was a time when I would have said it was a given and would have been a smart move...that time has come and gone.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
Considering the issues the D has had the past several years, I'd seriously question such a move. There was a time when I would have said it was a given and would have been a smart move...that time has come and gone.
I don't think Bud has the personality for the job.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I think he would be fine as our next HC, not sure what miracle worker our fans expect but he knows football as well as anyone else. And beside what our fans think he is still considered one of the best DC's in the country.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
I think he would be fine as our next HC, not sure what miracle worker our fans expect but he knows football as well as anyone else. And beside what our fans think he is still considered one of the best DC's in the country.

I don't think any rational person would argue that cwtcr, but the title Head Coach means many things besides just knowing football. The HC must also be a leader, know how/when to delegate, how to manage people, and how to recruit (to name but a few things).
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

I don't think Bud has the personality for the job.

These two posts pretty much sum up my feelings. I don't know that Bud even wants the job since he turned down other head coaching jobs in the past.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

For the last 10 years...I'd say "yea, I'm all over that solution"

but this year? Timing is tough for Bud. The HC job comes open following the season of the worst coaching job Bud's ever done. Bud has been terrible this year, after telling everyone that this year's D was going to be "special" by historical VT D standards.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

I think we should hire a woman. Don't get me wrong, I'm not about lowering standards.

This woman would have to know a lot about football. Watch two or three games a week. Maybe even played for her sorority in college. Touch football, of course.

I think it's time we broke the glass ceiling on head football coaches.

HokieJoe wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I don't think any rational person would argue that cwtcr, but the title Head Coach means many things besides just knowing football. The HC must also be a leader, know how/when to delegate, how to manage people, and how to recruit (to name but a few things).
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Lots of chatter of tsl subscriber board about it being Rich Rod.....there was a link to an article where a reporter got a quote from an unnamed ACC source who said VT is going hard for RR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Lots of chatter of tsl subscriber board about it being Rich Rod.....there was a link to an article where a reporter got a quote from an unnamed ACC source who said VT is going hard for RR.

It's been understood for a while that Rich Rod was high on Whit's list, if not his first choice. Could do a lot worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Lots of chatter of tsl subscriber board about it being Rich Rod.....there was a link to an article where a reporter got a quote from an unnamed ACC source who said VT is going hard for RR.

It's been understood for a while that Rich Rod was high on Whit's list, if not his first choice. Could do a lot worse.
Oh, we could do a whole hell of a lot better, too. RR would be a huge mistake.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.