UT -10.5

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

UT -10.5

Post by ip_law-hokie »

That seems like a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: UT -10.5

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:That seems like a lot.

Seems about right to me. Their D is tough. We're breaking in the O with a completely different scheme/green QB. Mistakes alone could net that spread. Or not. If we play mistake free, protect the ball; and our D gets good QB pressure, it could be a closer game. We need a lot of breaks to win this game imo. I hope I'm wrong.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

A team that had to go to OT to beat Appy State is a 10.5 favorite over VT? If Beamer were still the coach, I'd say this sounds right given our past performance in big neutral site games. But with Fuente in charge, we're still an enigma so who knows.

I wonder what the line would be for VT vs Appy State?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HokieJoe wrote:

Seems about right to me. Their D is tough. We're breaking in the O with a completely different scheme/green QB. Mistakes alone could net that spread. Or not. If we play mistake free, protect the ball; and our D gets good QB pressure, it could be a closer game. We need a lot of breaks to win this game imo. I hope I'm wrong.
Not to me. They couldn't stop App State and their O is going to have problems with our D. Easy money is on the table right now IMO.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

Not to me. They couldn't stop App State and their O is going to have problems with our D. Easy money is on the table right now IMO.
I'm not convinced our D is going to stop their run game. We are soft in the middle.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

I'm not convinced our D is going to stop their run game. We are soft in the middle.
I like VT here: UT 30 VT 21.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

We didn't look spectacular against Liberty.

Ford bailed the QB out quite a bit and was able to dominate his FCS defender, whereas a better team with more equal talent would have been celebrating in the endzone.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:We didn't look spectacular against Liberty.

Ford bailed the QB out quite a bit and was able to dominate his FCS defender, whereas a better team with more equal talent would have been celebrating in the endzone.
Turner on liberty is 6'3" and a D1 level player. Ford didn't dominate till later in the game, there was a lot of great fighting between them.
Last edited by awesome guy on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

I didn't see many SEC cover in week 1.

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

Meh, I'm not taking anything away from that game. They'll be ready for us IMO.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Not for anyone that saw the VT offense on Saturday. Zero difference between this and the Stiney/Lefty offense. - Hell we OPENED the game with the infamous flanker screen - LOL. Soft ass OL, no push, no RB anywhere near a David Wilson/Lee Suggs caliber, etc. Tennessee will hold VT's offense to around 14 points- if we can get a miracle special teams or defensive scores, it could be under 10.5 but I doubt it. Fuente needs time to get his guys in there- which hopefully includes some guys that can block in the running game.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:

Not for anyone that saw the VT offense on Saturday. Zero difference between this and the Stiney/Lefty offense. - Hell we OPENED the game with the infamous flanker screen - LOL. Soft ass OL, no push, no RB anywhere near a David Wilson/Lee Suggs caliber, etc. Tennessee will hold VT's offense to around 14 points- if we can get a miracle special teams or defensive scores, it could be under 10.5 but I doubt it. Fuente needs time to get his guys in there- which hopefully includes some guys that can block in the running game.
It's not surprising to me that our OL sucks. But maybe they were saving their fancy plays for the racetrack.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I have a feeling that Fuente is a cerebral football coach and he will come up with a game plan that will test the Volunqueers.

Do they really have a lot better players than us? I don't see why, they haven't been good in a long time either. To me, this is the has-been bowl, until proven otherwise. I will agree we don't have a running back anywhere near Ryan Williams/David Wilson/Lee Suggs/Kevin Jones.

It's very possible that the Volunqueeers were over-hyped preseason just to build up a tv audience for this game. Someone put a lot of $$ up for this game.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I have a feeling that Fuente is a cerebral football coach and he will come up with a game plan that will test the Volunqueers.

Do they really have a lot better players than us? I don't see why, they haven't been good in a long time either. To me, this is the has-been bowl, until proven otherwise. I will agree we don't have a running back anywhere near Ryan Williams/David Wilson/Lee Suggs/Kevin Jones.

It's very possible that the Volunqueeers were over-hyped preseason just to build up a tv audience for this game. Someone put a lot of $$ up for this game.

If you believe in recruiting rankings- yes they have better players than we do. Their top 3 running backs are better than anyone we have and we don't have a linebacker that would think about cracking their two-deep. Talent is not their issue. But it is ours right now in some key spots.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Are you saying Ford bailed out the QB on the come back fades when the defender had his back turned?

You think the QB threw it short on accident? If so, that's not correct, it's designed that way with single man coverage on the outside. The WR, who knows where the ball is, is supposed to see it and come back and get it. I agree, that with better DB's and with potential cover 2 looks, we can't expect that play to have the same degree of success, but make no mistake Evans executed that play fine and wasn't bailed out in any shape, form, or degree.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I have a feeling that Fuente is a cerebral football coach and he will come up with a game plan that will test the Volunqueers.

Butch Jones has sky rocketed their recruiting in the last few years. They're certainly more talented, top to bottom. If we win, it will be coaching and winning the proverbial turnover battle. I do like that they looked extremely beatable against App St. and that they don't seem to have a very dynamic QB, especially throwing the ball. I think Bud will dial something up, but I think points will be hard to come by given our offensive learning curve coupled with their talented and speedy defense. I'm worried that Evans isn't the dynamic runner I was hoping he was... Not that he's bad, he had the nice run, I was just naively hoping for a little more wiggle and escapability.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:

I agree but anyone who knew anything about Fuente knew they ran a lot of WR screens. That opening play was one of our better offensive plays too.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:A team that had to go to OT to beat Appy State is a 10.5 favorite over VT? If Beamer were still the coach, I'd say this sounds right given our past performance in big neutral site games. But with Fuente in charge, we're still an enigma so who knows.

I wonder what the line would be for VT vs Appy State?
My thoughts exactly Uppity. The SEC is not deep and we may not be working with a tactical disadvantage.

Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

BG, you probably know a lot more than me about their recruiting, but that being said, their results from last year, while better than ours, are not off the charts.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 9.56.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 9.56.03 AM.png (175.39 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:BG, you probably know a lot more than me about their recruiting, but that being said, their results from last year, while better than ours, are not off the charts.
9-4 with a SEC schedule with the vast majority of their young talent coming back...

They were pre-season Top 10 for a reason. That said, they didn't prove it against App St. and they're going to need to prove it against a more potent team in VT. Let's go get it.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:BG, you probably know a lot more than me about their recruiting, but that being said, their results from last year, while better than ours, are not off the charts.
9-4 with a SEC schedule with the vast majority of their young talent coming back...

They were pre-season Top 10 for a reason. That said, they didn't prove it against App St. and they're going to need to prove it against a more potent team in VT. Let's go get it.
It's nice how the athletics brings us all together as Hokie brothers, brother.

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

They played a lot of those games tightly; and then faded late, which is a hallmark of young teams. They had playoff bound Oklahoma beat and folded late. They have highly rated recruits on their roster so talent isn't an issue for them.

GA and FL still appear to be rebuilding, so they could conceivably play in the SEC Championship game. Believe me, it pains me to say any of that because nothing sucks like a Big Orange!
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

BG, remind me I the future to never doubt you on such matters [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:BG, remind me I the future to never doubt you on such matters [emoji849]

We outgained them. Despite, getting our butts kicked because of stupid penalties and turnovers, I'm somewhat encouraged. Sure, we blew that game and it was embarrassing but I could see that being a turning point to turn it around for the conference season. We absolutely can't continue to fumble the ball at this rate, that will get better, if for no other reason than sheer luck.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:BG, remind me I the future to never doubt you on such matters [emoji849]

We outgained them. Despite, getting our butts kicked because of stupid penalties and turnovers, I'm somewhat encouraged. Sure, we blew that game and it was embarrassing but I could see that being a turning point to turn it around for the conference season. We absolutely can't continue to fumble the ball at this rate, that will get better, if for no other reason than sheer luck.
Thanks for the update Captain Obvious.