It was furrrrreezing in South Bend. Without exception,

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
oaktonhokie

It was furrrrreezing in South Bend. Without exception,

Post by oaktonhokie »

everyone we encountered from ND was friendly, welcoming and all service and security people professional and helpful.

There were a BUNCH of us there. A bar across from the stadium, O'Malley's (?) was jammed three hours prior to game. About 60% us.

To generalize, ND has pretty girls. Not sure why that surprised me.

I was traveling with a friend was wasn't feeling well so we did not get to walk much of the campus. What we saw of the campus, mostly around the stadium was nice. Not awesome, nice. We saw the dome from a distance. Pretty cool.

The stadium was old. Real old. It was shaped like a "shallow bowl" not steep like Lane and most newer stadiums. Like UMichigan. The scoreboard to be kind, was vintage. Tiny. No video. Not much information, and with our seats in the opposite end zone, it was difficult to read other scores that were on the board for about three seconds. Literally.

Iconic and charming, if technologically outdated.

Food was typically stadium food. Crummy.

Stayed in Kalamazoo, 70 miles away. Hotels near SB were $450 for a room that is $150 on non game weekends. Not a bad drive, an hour and twenty minutes.

Looooong drive from Blacksburg. Nearly eleven hours with a few stops for gas and lunch. Over nine hours coming home with fewer stops and drive through meals only.

Drove through Wva, Ohio, Michigan and Indiana. Bleak. I'm prejudiced, but Virginia is pretty, Blacksburg is beautiful.

Oh yeah, the game. Not bad. Oddly, it was colder when we were playing poorly, not so bad near the end.

A great trip.
If we had lost in a good game, a good trip. Worth doing.
If it ended like it started, shoulda stayed home.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: It was furrrrreezing in South Bend. Without exception,

Post by HokieJoe »

ND had some nice looking cheerleaders on TV.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson