I thought we were terrible last night. But the

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
oaktonhokie

I thought we were terrible last night. But the

Post by oaktonhokie »

coaches interviewed after the game, both fuente and foster loved the effort.

Really?

It's nice to make an effort to tackle someone, but shouldn't you on occasion actually make a tackle? Our defense got pushed around, imo. We made a couple interceptions to bail us out, but miami moved the ball fairly easily all night.

And who is the idiot that made those two calls on fourth down? We had kicked a FG earlier that would have been good from 60 yards and we go for it on fourth and 3. And fumble. And later we have a similar situation and instead of punting them down inside the ten, we go for it again?

The offense was dreadful. Again no passes down field and very few over the middle. Is stinespring calling the plays? QB harassed all night, fat guys can't block me.
The defense was dreadful. Rarely a blitz, means we're predictable. Can't tackle.

The coaching with the play calling and the decisions to go for it on 4th down, was dreadful.

But the boys made the effort. That's nice. And yes i know the coaches have to find something nice to say about their charges. But a little honesty would be nice.

Before yesterday, i figured NC State was a pretender. Not really worthy of a top 15 spot. OK State would do what they always do and shine early in the season and give up 100 points per game when it mattered.
I wasn't sure about us. Didn't know if we were a top five team, or just a top 25 team.

Now i know.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: I thought we were terrible last night. But the

Post by nolanvt »

Miami simply had the talent advantage, especially their D-line vs. VT’s O-line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Richt is a good coach and he has great athletes. It's easy to forget that our team lost some great receivers and a big bruising QB from last year. Plus, we haven't had a game breaker at running back since David Wilson. And we have a new QB who is learning OTJ. These lumps are inevitable.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

We are a B or B+ team talentwise. Miami and Clemson are A teams talentwise. CJF does a good job coaching our guys to thump the Dukes or UNCs of the world, but we are not competitive against the A teams.

Where we really blew it IMHO, were those Stiney years when we had real ballers on the team like Eddie Royal, Ryan Wilson, Tyrod, David Wilson, etc etc etc. Those are the wasted years of Hokie football. The ceiling was ACC championship, in years when the ACC was not great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:We are a B or B+ team talentwise. Miami and Clemson are A teams talentwise. CJF does a good job coaching our guys to thump the Dukes or UNCs of the world, but we are not competitive against the A teams.

Where we really blew it IMHO, were those Stiney years when we had real ballers on the team like Eddie Royal, Ryan Wilson, Tyrod, David Wilson, etc etc etc. Those are the wasted years of Hokie football. The ceiling was ACC championship, in years when the ACC was not great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think we have a C+ receiving corp. Cam and Savoy are good, but we need a third receiver to give secondaries a headache. Miami stacked the box on us and got away with it. They couldn't have done that if Bucky and/or Ford were still around.

EDIT: And boy how I wish we still had just one of those Wilson's @RB now.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:coaches interviewed after the game, both fuente and foster loved the effort.

Really?

It's nice to make an effort to tackle someone, but shouldn't you on occasion actually make a tackle? Our defense got pushed around, imo. We made a couple interceptions to bail us out, but miami moved the ball fairly easily all night.

And who is the idiot that made those two calls on fourth down? We had kicked a FG earlier that would have been good from 60 yards and we go for it on fourth and 3. And fumble. And later we have a similar situation and instead of punting them down inside the ten, we go for it again?

The offense was dreadful. Again no passes down field and very few over the middle. Is stinespring calling the plays? QB harassed all night, fat guys can't block me.
The defense was dreadful. Rarely a blitz, means we're predictable. Can't tackle.

The coaching with the play calling and the decisions to go for it on 4th down, was dreadful.

But the boys made the effort. That's nice. And yes i know the coaches have to find something nice to say about their charges. But a little honesty would be nice.

Before yesterday, i figured NC State was a pretender. Not really worthy of a top 15 spot. OK State would do what they always do and shine early in the season and give up 100 points per game when it mattered.
I wasn't sure about us. Didn't know if we were a top five team, or just a top 25 team.

Now i know.
patience grasshopper, Ohio state looked great tho!
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:coaches interviewed after the game, both fuente and foster loved the effort.

Really?

Now i know.
I didn't think we looked that bad, particularly outside the OL. I thought we opened up a bit too conservative on offense, but it was probably reasonable to think that we could run the ball against them better than we did.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.