Miserable game. Awful coaching decisions. What

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
oaktonhokie

Miserable game. Awful coaching decisions. What

Post by oaktonhokie »

was the thinking behind going for it on fourth and 2?

Our fat guys can't block me and our running backs are not very good.

If we had kicked a FG, we could have kicked a FG to win on the last drive.

And going for two points in the first half, really? And then we had to try it again. If we had kicked regular old PATs, we could have kicked a FG to tie at the end.

Sorry, but unless there is something i'm not aware of, that is just idiotic.

Jackson is a decent QB for a freshman. For a freshman. His best play was the dumbest play he made all year. That richochet pass in 4Q. He has not progressed much this season as far as i can see.

We are a slightly better than average team. We were pretenders two weeks ago. We have been outed.

But if we finish 9-3, that is something to build on. It is not something to be satisfied with.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: Miserable game. Awful coaching decisions. What

Post by HokieJoe »

oaktonhokie wrote:was the thinking behind going for it on fourth and 2?

And going for two points in the first half, really? And then we had to try it again. If we had kicked regular old PATs, we could have kicked a FG to tie at the end.

Jackson is a decent QB for a freshman. For a freshman. His best play was the dumbest play he made all year. That richochet pass in 4Q. He has not progressed much this season as far as i can see.

We are a slightly better than average team. We were pretenders two weeks ago. We have been outed.

But if we finish 9-3, that is something to build on. It is not something to be satisfied with.
Oak, we just don't have the horses this year. Had Bucky or Ford stayed, we'd be in good shape, but with a young QB. Just remember that GT beat us last year and we had both of them, plus a more experienced QB.

GT is a perennial spoiler team. They'll never win a MNC with that crap offense because the really talented kids won't play in Pj's anachronistic system. But they're just good enough to give us fits.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Miami is destroying ND now so maybe we're not that bad after all.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

True. But we wouldn't need better horses if the jockey had made better decisions.

What don't I understand?

HokieJoe wrote:

Oak, we just don't have the horses this year. Had Bucky or Ford stayed, we'd be in good shape, but with a young QB. Just remember that GT beat us last year and we had both of them, plus a more experienced QB.

GT is a perennial spoiler team. They'll never win a MNC with that crap offense because the really talented kids won't play in Pj's anachronistic system. But they're just good enough to give us fits.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I just didn't grok the decisions at all.

The Hokies kept chasing the lost points and our "short" yardage game calling was bizarre at best.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Think about it, we cannot make the ACCCG, our bowl game is already secured, and the fact is it does not matter what our record is for the bowl. Bowls take teams based on how much money the teams fans will spend at that city. So I think he was experimenting and trying some stuff, see if it works and taking many chances to see if we can pull it off. Our team is fine, very young but fine