3 of the 4 playoff games this weekend almost blacked out

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

3 of the 4 playoff games this weekend almost blacked out

Post by nolanvt »

due to the games not being sold out. It appears that local supermarkets are going to save Cincy and Green Bay, and Indy is within 1,000 tickets of being sold out, all after being granted two extensions by the NFL in order to avoid local blackouts.

After my few experiences of going to NFL games, I can't blame the fans because it's simply an overrated experience. Compared to the luxuries of watching the games at little additional cost at home (controlled environment) with a large HD flatscreen, why would people go through the cost and hassle of going to a NFL game? Besides the high cost of tickets/parking/concessions, you got to wait forever to get in and out of the stadium, long lines to the bathroom, drunk unattractive A-holes, etc.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: 3 of the 4 playoff games this weekend almost blacked out

Post by Major Kong »

"blacked out" - Racist!!!!!! :P

Green Bay surprises me a bunch...I rekkin folks would rather stay at the house and watch the game than brave -17°F chill factor weather. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Major Kong wrote:"blacked out" - Racist!!!!!! :P

Green Bay surprises me a bunch...I rekkin folks would rather stay at the house and watch the game than brave -17°F chill factor weather. :)
Ice Bowl II. Those who willingly go are nuts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote:due to the games not being sold out. It appears that local supermarkets are going to save Cincy and Green Bay, and Indy is within 1,000 tickets of being sold out, all after being granted two extensions by the NFL in order to avoid local blackouts.

After my few experiences of going to NFL games, I can't blame the fans because it's simply an overrated experience. Compared to the luxuries of watching the games at little additional cost at home (controlled environment) with a large HD flatscreen, why would people go through the cost and hassle of going to a NFL game? Besides the high cost of tickets/parking/concessions, you got to wait forever to get in and out of the stadium, long lines to the bathroom, drunk unattractive A-holes, etc.
I've only been to one NFL game in my life, and I'm not in a hurry to go back.

I think they are going to have to reduce ticket prices, because the game is meant for TV - especially towards the end of the season.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:due to the games not being sold out. It appears that local supermarkets are going to save Cincy and Green Bay, and Indy is within 1,000 tickets of being sold out, all after being granted two extensions by the NFL in order to avoid local blackouts.

NFL stadiums are typically sold out due to a large proportion of tickets being purchased by corporations for the purposes of entertaining clients. Sure, there are still die hards that pay for tix out of their personal checking account but I would guess they have moved into the minority. I think the corporate dollars have priced a great many of individual consumers out of the market. When the corporate buyers are rarely using the seats because they give them away, they probably aren't very concerned with buying playoff tix on a week's notice over the holidays when Rhonda from accounts payable is on vacation and nobody else knows how to cut a check. Couple that with the more pleasant experience of watching it on your HD tv that's already paid for and voila. Less demand for actually being at the game. I think we're seeing it with most spectator sports. VT used to sell out, now they don't. Big time SEC programs are probably have shorter wait lists than they did. You can't pay a UVA fan to go to Scott. et al Demand for in person sporting events is down. It's a hassle.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Do they not do something like what VT (and probably everyone else) does for the ACCCG and bowl games where you have a bowl order form a month or two before the end of the season and you pre-order anything you want to go to?

They could ask you in September to commit to buying playoff tickets and then they have three months to try to sell off the ones season ticket holders aren't interested in.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

BigDave wrote:Do they not do something like what VT (and probably everyone else) does for the ACCCG and bowl games where you have a bowl order form a month or two before the end of the season and you pre-order anything you want to go to?

They could ask you in September to commit to buying playoff tickets and then they have three months to try to sell off the ones season ticket holders aren't interested in.
If they don't yet they will now. I think in the past playoff tickets sold out like hot cakes so it wasn't an issue. I could be wrong though...
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

It's a stupid policy. Generally, products get better and cheaper over time. Somehow this is the opposite, and is getting worse and more expensive.
It's hard to compete with being able to watch a game sitting in your comfortable living room, and they aren't handling the competition very well.

A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Marine Hokie wrote:It's a stupid policy. Generally, products get better and cheaper over time. Somehow this is the opposite, and is getting worse and more expensive.
It's hard to compete with being able to watch a game sitting in your comfortable living room, and they aren't handling the competition very well.

the NFL feels their brand is damaged by asking people to watch games in half-empty stadiums.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

BigDave wrote:Do they not do something like what VT (and probably everyone else) does for the ACCCG and bowl games where you have a bowl order form a month or two before the end of the season and you pre-order anything you want to go to?

I used to get Redskins emails before I finally unsubscribed. Last year, they weren't hawking playoff ticket sales until mid-December when the possibility arose they could host a home game by winning the division. I think teams just assumed they'd sell out. The last playoff game that was blacked out was the Dolphins against the Ravens in 2002.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I was a 49er season ticket holder when I lived in SF, and they send you a letter in maybe early November telling you the NFL has alerted the team that they are mathematically in the running for the playoffs, and they want you to send them $$$$ for two games. If you don't pay, your playoff seat go back into the general pool. If you pay and they don't go, or if your team hosts only one game instead of two the money is credited to next year's season tickets. It is obviously a great deal from a cash flow management perspective for the teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila