Maddux, Glavine, and Frank Thomas elected to HOF

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Maddux, Glavine, and Frank Thomas elected to HOF

Post by nolanvt »

I'm glad the voters have been restrained the last 15 years and kept Jack Morris off the ballot despite the revisionist history being portrayed by his supporters. Jack Morris was a solid, but nowhere near a great pitcher. Unfortunately, he'll probably be voted in by the Veterans' Committee at some point.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: Maddux, Glavine, and Frank Thomas elected to HOF

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote:I'm glad the voters have been restrained the last 15 years and kept Jack Morris off the ballot despite the revisionist history being portrayed by his supporters. Jack Morris was a solid, but nowhere near a great pitcher. Unfortunately, he'll probably be voted in by the Veterans' Committee at some point.
they got it right by leaving Biggio off too.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:I'm glad the voters have been restrained the last 15 years and kept Jack Morris off the ballot despite the revisionist history being portrayed by his supporters. Jack Morris was a solid, but nowhere near a great pitcher. Unfortunately, he'll probably be voted in by the Veterans' Committee at some point.
Biggio's a tossup for me, which probably means he should be left off. As a stat nerd, I don't think Tim Raines gets enough respect.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

and the good news is both Clemens and bonds got fewer votes this year than last.

nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Biggio's a tossup for me, which probably means he should be left off. As a stat nerd, I don't think Tim Raines gets enough respect.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
I hold a high bar for the HOF, and don't think Tom Glavine was a hall of famer. Great pitcher, but not HOF. I know his numbers suggest otherwise, but he was the third best pitcher on one of the great dynasties of his era.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
I hold a high bar for the HOF, and don't think Tom Glavine was a hall of famer. Great pitcher, but not HOF. I know his numbers suggest otherwise, but he was the third best pitcher on one of the great dynasties of his era.
Well, if you argue that his FIP aided in his numbers, you could easily present a case that Glavine should be borderline or maybe not even in the HOF.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Here you go, ip. Tom Glavine's FIP was 0.41 higher than his raw ERA.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... position=P

Quick summation of FIP: it's Fielder Independent Pitching on an ERA scale. It attempts to control a pitcher's ERA because different pitchers and their teams have varying defensive talent levels behind them in the field.

On the other hand, Maddux's FIP was only 0.1 higher and Smoltz's FIP was actually lower than his ERA. Right off the bat, we know that Maddux was an effective groundball pitcher and Smoltz was more of a power pitcher that yielded more strikeouts. With Glavine, he was often more prone to give up more flyballs and line drives, so if FIP is a good metric, this tells me he relied on Andruw Jones to bail him out with his defensive abilities.