Rumor on why Bud stays in Blacksburg

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Rumor on why Bud stays in Blacksburg

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I have never brought this up on the old UWS, as I never wanted to start a rumor, but this is such a small group, I figure there is a lot less chance of that happening, and maybe one of you can pipe in as to the truth or falseness of this.

About five or so seasons ago I was sitting in Roanoke airport after we played UNC. I was at the bar and next to me sat some guy who worked for Smithfield and he had been at the game himself. He worked in marketing and was at the game because of their sponsorship at Lane.

We talked for a hour about Hokie football. He didn't go to VT, but seemed to have connections to the program because of his job.

He stated that the reason Bud never left VT was that is wife is a serious boozer, and he can more easily keep her under control in a small town like the Burg. He said the real reason he never became a HC is because of her as she would then be in more of a spotlight and it would never work.

Bullshit, yes or no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Rumor on why Bud stays in Blacksburg

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I have never brought this up on the old UWS, as I never wanted to start a rumor, but this is such a small group, I figure there is a lot less chance of that happening, and maybe one of you can pipe in as to the truth or falseness of this.

About five or so seasons ago I was sitting in Roanoke airport after we played UNC. I was at the bar and next to me sat some guy who worked for Smithfield and he had been at the game himself. He worked in marketing and was at the game because of their sponsorship at Lane.

We talked for a hour about Hokie football. He didn't go to VT, but seemed to have connections to the program because of his job.

He stated that the reason Bud never left VT was that is wife is a serious boozer, and he can more easily keep her under control in a small town like the Burg. He said the real reason he never became a HC is because of her as she would then be in more of a spotlight and it would never work.

Bullshit, yes or no?

There's a reason like this. Not sure if this is it, but there is a reason he's stayed as long. I doubt it's Sandusky bad, but bad enough to keep the ADs away. I wouldn't be surprised if Bud is the boozer and the wife was a cover from your contact.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Ive heard from various source that it has to do with some off the field issues. Which means he'll probably never leave bburg for another HC job, but he'll probably never be our HC either.
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I have never brought this up on the old UWS, as I never wanted to start a rumor, but this is such a small group, I figure there is a lot less chance of that happening, and maybe one of you can pipe in as to the truth or falseness of this.

Bullshit, yes or no?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

Bullshit, yes or no?

There's a reason like this. Not sure if this is it, but there is a reason he's stayed as long. I doubt it's Sandusky bad, but bad enough to keep the ADs away. I wouldn't be surprised if Bud is the boozer and the wife was a cover from your contact.
I think it is very plausible, BUT, people beat the booze demon every day. It seems a lot of people get the help they need, and move forward. I am blown away that if true, he wouldn't get her dried out.

“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

I say BS. If the hiring committee of a big time program thinks a guy is THE guy to be head coach, they will hire that coach. If the coach has a personal issue, they'll throw all the money they can at it to solve it for the coach (think Urban Meyer, for example)

I believe the reason Bud has remained an HC for as long as he has is that there is a belief that, functionally, he isn't cut out to be a head coach. He's been a DC for SO long now too that there is likely merit to it, even if there wasn't int he past. No big program is going to take a chance on a lifer coordinator. There's a big difference between Head Coach and the rest of the staff and most of it has to do with non football stuff. Head coaches are schmoozers, politicians, publicity managers, etc. I'm guessing Bud flat out sucks at that stuff and is a pure Xs and Os guy.

Bullshit, yes or no?

BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

I've seen UVA message board posters claim Bud is a big drinker. I've also seen a select few VT posters imply that's why he hasn't gotten a big job offer.

It's possible but I don't believe it. He probably works hard and plays hard. If I was a public figure people could claim I had a big alcohol problem because once every other month or so I over serve myself with the booze.

Bullshit, yes or no?

OrangeHokieFan
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by OrangeHokieFan »

I could see something like this being the reason. I don't think Bud has a problem but it's something that directly relates to him like his wife or one of his kids is a problem type thing.

Bullshit, yes or no?

jmac610

Post by jmac610 »

Speculation, it may or may not be accurate, I don't know or even care too much. But it could also be that he has not received an offer enticing enough for him to make the jump, or even that he himself is not anxious for a head coaching position. If he really enjoys the hands on coaching he does now, that would change in a head position. The top guy has a whole extra set of pressures and public exposure that he is removed from in his current position. It may be that he is happy letting someone else deal with those headaches.