Wow. We suck.

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Wow. We suck.

Post by BigDave »

I'm trying to be a good Hokie and watch, but it's hard.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
hokie80
Party: Independent

Re: Wow. We suck.

Post by hokie80 »

Unless we start ponying up and paying competitive salaries to attract/retain good coaches, we will continue to lose competitiveness.

Weaver missed the mark on the BB coaching hire.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

I really don't understand the "small time" mentality we have at VT. We are now in a premier athletic conference and we act like we're still in the Metro or A10. You cannot tell me that Weaver could not have found a hot talented coach to come to VT and coach an ACC team - provided he offered enough money.

When we hired JJ, I was optimistic that since the players liked him and Clemson was after him, that maybe he could be a good coach, but I really did not understand why we didnt get someone with head coaching experience. And now to top it off, JJ's staff seems totally terrible. I doubt JJ gets fired at the end of this year, but I would hope the admin forces him to clean house on his staff the way Beamer had to in 1992.
hokie80 wrote:Unless we start ponying up and paying competitive salaries to attract/retain good coaches, we will continue to lose competitiveness.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:I really don't understand the "small time" mentality we have at VT. We are now in a premier athletic conference and we act like we're still in the Metro or A10. You cannot tell me that Weaver could not have found a hot talented coach to come to VT and coach an ACC team - provided he offered enough money.

When we hired JJ, I was optimistic that since the players liked him and Clemson was after him, that maybe he could be a good coach, but I really did not understand why we didnt get someone with head coaching experience. And now to top it off, JJ's staff seems totally terrible. I doubt JJ gets fired at the end of this year, but I would hope the admin forces him to clean house on his staff the way Beamer had to in 1992.
hokie80 wrote:Unless we start ponying up and paying competitive salaries to attract/retain good coaches, we will continue to lose competitiveness.

Remember the horrible way that it was handled. It was well after the season and most anyone who was going somewhere had already gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Weaver had talked with some coaches he knew that said "yeah I'm interested" before he pulled the trigger on firing Greenberg, but they were really only interested in talking with him to get a raise. Nobody in a stable job was going to leave that and come to Virginia Tech at that juncture.

And the entire press conference announcing Greenberg's firing was fodder for an SNL "REALLY!?!?!" segment. Who in the world wanted to come to that kind of train wreck?
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

You are right Upstate. I don't understand the small time mentality either. What is attendance like in Cassell these days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
jmac610

Post by jmac610 »

BigDave wrote:And the entire press conference announcing Greenberg's firing was fodder for an SNL "REALLY!?!?!" segment. Who in the world wanted to come to that kind of train wreck?
I think that forced Weaver into a situation where he had to do something and do it quick. He put himself in a position where he wasn't afforded the opportunity to conduct a thorough search and JJ is the result. I liked what I knew of JJ and hoped for the best. I thought things seemed to be looking up at the beginning of this season, but I haven't seen much evidence of improvement since. Granted the competition is stiffer but the team just doesn't appear to be organized.

I still have not figured out our offensive scheme. There seems to be a lot of standing around and watching someone dribble.
Just my observations and opinion though.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:I'm trying to be a good Hokie and watch, but it's hard.
Jesse was right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Jesse was right.

What was Jesse right about?
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Jesse was right.

Jesse criticizes everything the athletics department does and only shows up on TSL during bad times. When we were winning ACC championships in football, he was mysteriously absent.

So yes, if you're convinced that everything will go badly with your team, eventually you're going to be right.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Trying to find just a little something to be optimistic about....joey van Z seems to have gone from a total doofus, to a fairly competent and semi mobile big man.

I don't like our guard play at all.

BigDave wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Jesse was right.

Jesse criticizes everything the athletics department does and only shows up on TSL during bad times. When we were winning ACC championships in football, he was mysteriously absent.

So yes, if you're convinced that everything will go badly with your team, eventually you're going to be right.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Jesse was right.

That Seth Greenberg was a mediocre coaching hire and that the school does not support the basketball program, for one.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Hopefully the new AD will change that.

Do other schools (outside of Virginia) have to deal with coaches being "state employees" and therefore subject to archaic rules?
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:You are right Upstate. I don't understand the small time mentality either. What is attendance like in Cassell these days?
Winning changes that. Look at the football program. You used to be able to, park where you wanted and have pretty much you pick of seats for anywhere other than maybe the 50 yard line. Winning changed that...
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Jesse was right.

That Seth Greenberg was a mediocre coaching hire and that the school does not support the basketball program, for one.
Whether he was a mediocre hire or not, I think he was probably a best case scenario given what we were working with. Remember where we were when Seth was hired:

* We absolutely sucked. In the Big East, all you had to do was not be last in your division to make the conference tournament and we had failed both years.
* We were paying a fortune to join the Big East and receiving no profit sharing revenue from the conference. So $$$ for basketball were at a premium.
* There were rumblings of an ACC raid on the Big East and we were highly likely to get left behind in a suckier Big East with far less football revenue.

There's a ceiling to the caliber of coach you're going to get there.

Seth took a laughing stock of a program and probably took us as far as anyone is likely to in that situation. We were competitive in most conference games and in contention for the postseason. What's more is he was a dedicated adopted Hokie who loved the school and loved where he was - we weren't just a stepping stone.

Maybe there was a ceiling with Seth and he was at that ceiling - I don't know. But there was no way that we were getting anyone better in 2003.

Now that Seth is gone, we have gone back from being a contender to absolutely sucking. We're exactly where we were before Seth was hired.

Incidentally, Ricky Stokes blew out UVA his final season at Tech ... maybe JJ could pull off that miracle when UVA-C makes their return trip to the Cassell. ;)
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

hokie80 wrote:Hopefully the new AD will change that.

Do other schools (outside of Virginia) have to deal with coaches being "state employees" and therefore subject to archaic rules?
I would assume that most everyone does. What practical problems has that caused for us? Weaver has always been able to get his guy in there - he just has to go through the motions of a selection committee.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

As I recall (at least it used to be this way), coaching salaries are limited to a degree due to state law. Could be wrong on that though.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Wouldn't it be great if we could find a way not to get blown out by Boston College?
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

I think congratulations for the Hokie basketball team are in order.

We have the dubious ability to suck and blow at the same time. :(
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

We held BC to only 76 points while scoring 52 ourselves.

BC is 6-14.

Major Kong wrote:I think congratulations for the Hokie basketball team are in order.

We have the dubious ability to suck and blow at the same time. :(
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Jesse was right.

I'm late to the bball talk. I didn't realize we had a sports board.

Greenberg was a great hire. Over his tenure we had the fourth best record in ACC play. If you would have told any Hokie that before we started ACC play you would have been called "certifiably insane."
People who know, know.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

hokie80 wrote:As I recall (at least it used to be this way), coaching salaries are limited to a degree due to state law. Could be wrong on that though.
That's not true at all
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Does anyone know why Greenberg was really fired? It seems to be a great secret that only few people know and they're not blabbing about it on the internet. He did something or got into some kind of argument with Weaver that made him pull the trigger. I'm dying to know what it was, because it really set our program way back, so it had better have been absolutely necessary.
TheH2 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Jesse was right.

Greenberg was a great hire. Over his tenure we had the fourth best record in ACC play. If you would have told any Hokie that before we started ACC play you would have been called "certifiably insane."
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Yes, it has been rough, the reality is we have only had a good bball team a few times, back in the metro days and some bright spots since then but the actual reality is with the ACC we will probably never get over the NC state type program, middle of the pack type with some good years and some bad years. Until something big happens with the dookies or tarholes or now Syracuse or Louisville it will be very difficult to compete every year with those programs no matter who the coach is. But yes we need to change the bball coach as the experiment we tried has failed miserably
BigDave wrote:Wouldn't it be great if we could find a way not to get blown out by Boston College?
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Seth was having issues with many people as I understand it, was losing assistants fast and some players I believe. It may be his personality type thing but I like Seth and thought the firing was a mistake, we compounded by hiring a complete no name who had zero track record as a head coach. Hopefully the new AD can start to correct the situation
BG Hokie wrote:Does anyone know why Greenberg was really fired? It seems to be a great secret that only few people know and they're not blabbing about it on the internet. He did something or got into some kind of argument with Weaver that made him pull the trigger. I'm dying to know what it was, because it really set our program way back, so it had better have been absolutely necessary.
TheH2 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Jesse was right.