Bob Knight's hillarious counterargument to going pro early

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Bob Knight's hillarious counterargument to going pro early

Post by nolanvt »

Just heard a blurb from his appearance on Mike and Mike talking about Cuban's comments on getting players into the D-League out of high school, leaving early, blah blah blah.

Anyway, Bob Knight worries about the 23-year-old kid who doesn't make it in basketball without an education. Well, there's a high probability that this type of person was a lottery pick bust, as you wouldn't see many kids declare without almost being assured of being drafted. For example, Kwame Brown couldn't play from Day 1 in the league (averages 6 pts/game) and has lasted long enough to make over $60M in career earnings. What will he ever do without a formal education?
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
oaktonhokie

Re: Bob Knight's hillarious counterargument to going pro ear

Post by oaktonhokie »

C'mon noly, are you using Kwame brown as an example of why basketball players don't need an education?

Did I misunderstand your post?

It's not the Kwame browns, it's the nonstudent athletes who come out after their freshman year, and get drafted in the second round or not drafted at all. They don't make a team, they have no education, and probably don't have the work ethic to perform at a high level in the D league.

What kind of life will they have?

And what if Michael Jordan hadn't been stupid enough to draft brown? What if no one had and he had the opportunity to grow up and mature and refine his skills before becoming a bust in the nba?

And my guess is that the $60,000,000 he earns will be gone before he's 40 years old.

I'd be careful about touting him as a success story.

nolanvt wrote:Just heard a blurb from his appearance on Mike and Mike talking about Cuban's comments on getting players into the D-League out of high school, leaving early, blah blah blah.

Anyway, Bob Knight worries about the 23-year-old kid who doesn't make it in basketball without an education. Well, there's a high probability that this type of person was a lottery pick bust, as you wouldn't see many kids declare without almost being assured of being drafted. For example, Kwame Brown couldn't play from Day 1 in the league (averages 6 pts/game) and has lasted long enough to make over $60M in career earnings. What will he ever do without a formal education?
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:C'mon noly, are you using Kwame brown as an example of why basketball players don't need an education?

It's not the Kwame browns, it's the nonstudent athletes who come out after their freshman year, and get drafted in the second round or not drafted at all. They don't make a team, they have no education, and probably don't have the work ethic to perform at a high level in the D league.

And what if Michael Jordan hadn't been stupid enough to draft brown? What if no one had and he had the opportunity to grow up and mature and refine his skills before becoming a bust in the nba?

And my guess is that the $60,000,000 he earns will be gone before he's 40 years old.

nolanvt wrote:Just heard a blurb from his appearance on Mike and Mike talking about Cuban's comments on getting players into the D-League out of high school, leaving early, blah blah blah.

I encourage people to be well-educated. However, I wouldn't make it a requisite before playing in the NBA. A player like Kwame Brown has the resources required to pursue formal education opportunities if he so chooses.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:C'mon noly, are you using Kwame brown as an example of why basketball players don't need an education?

I encourage people to be well-educated. However, I wouldn't make it a requisite before playing in the NBA. A player like Kwame Brown has the resources required to pursue formal education opportunities if he so chooses.
The real irony is that Oakton would bemoan the fact that Kwame Brown was taking a scholarship away from a kid that truly wants to get an education were Kwame Brown to have gone the D1 route.