Pretty good piece on college football. I see it at VT.

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
oaktonhokie

Pretty good piece on college football. I see it at VT.

Post by oaktonhokie »

And if you think it's bad now, wait until they start paying players...which I think they will do.

And when they do, I will no longer attend games.

The article said it very well, people don't go to the games because they like football. They go to the games because they like Michigan football.

We are not fans of the sport so much as fans of alma mater.

I posted last year that I had never been to a soccer game and I did not like women's sports. And yet I was standing in the cold at VT's soccer stadium watching women's soccer. Because we were in the college semi (?) finals.

WE, were in the semis.

You don't get to say WE, unless you are part of the school. You can say WE beat UVa. You can say WE tied Portugal.

You can't say WE when referring to the redskins or the Celtics.

College football is killing the goose laying all those golden eggs.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/road-sa ... an-tickets
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Pretty good piece on college football. I see it at VT.

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:And if you think it's bad now, wait until they start paying players...which I think they will do.

The article said it very well, people don't go to the games because they like football. They go to the games because they like Michigan football.

I posted last year that I had never been to a soccer game and I did not like women's sports. And yet I was standing in the cold at VT's soccer stadium watching women's soccer. Because we were in the college semi (?) finals.

WE, were in the semis.

You don't get to say WE, unless you are part of the school. You can say WE beat UVa. You can say WE tied Portugal.

How do some athletes making endorsement money change your views on the sport and the love for your university? Universities are already starting to offer 4-year rides in wake of the O'Bannon trial. It's coming, oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

No real problem with endorsement money, to which I think players are entitled.

I believe and I dread, when universities pay the players. And it is no longer a college amatuer sport, it is a professional.

Count me out.

oaktonhokie wrote:And if you think it's bad now, wait until they start paying players...which I think they will do.

WE, were in the semis.

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:No real problem with endorsement money, to which I think players are entitled.

I believe and I dread, when universities pay the players. And it is no longer a college amatuer sport, it is a professional.

Count me out.

WE, were in the semis.

I think if the NCAA and its member universities had relinquished on allowing some of the athletes to get endorsement money and royalties from their jersey sales, I think it could've quelled a lot of the controversy. Should've gone to the Olympic model.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead