Field and Stream...you no tell truth

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Field and Stream...you no tell truth

Post by awesome guy »

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the ... SOC&dom=fb

astronomically high tides and full moons are a gamble. Yes, some nights they produce spectacular fishing. Other times, it's a bust. I haven't cracked the nut of what makes it great sometimes and crap others. But I do know is to be prepared to move around a lot. If they aren't biting in one spot, they may be pilled into another. With someone like me though, I'm highly mobile and will travel up to 60 miles in a night to find the fish. It pays off, but you've got to be on the move. And don't get hung up into thinking "I'm at X awesome spot and so it's gong to be on tonight!". The popular spots are typically just the most accessible. Or need special conditions to be spectacular. For example, a couple years ago I was at ground zero of surf fishing, Cape Point in Buxton NC. It was a full moon. I knew I was going to slay them. Only I didn't catch crap there. Not even a nibble. So I moved north. Same, nothing. So I moved again, and again, and again till I was back up at Oregon Inlet. And there, I found the fish. Filled up a cooler in an hour.

Last full moon, I went to my secret spot in Mobjack. This place is killer, I regularly do well on redfish. I'm all set up, the tide comes in, and then nothing. All I got was 3 sting rays and about 2 dozen crabs. What happened last moon though was it was extremely low in the sky, like below/at the horizon at the start and most of the full moon. So the tide was a foot or so higher than normal. And my normal happy redfish grounds with a nice reed patch was completely submerged. It looked like a lake, completely submerged. I normally target high tide redfish right at the shores edge. But this tide was so high the edge was way, way, way behind me and the fish could run way up into the reeds, out of range and really out of fishability because that area is normally a wetland. And didn't have any other area I could get to as my access road was also under water. So no fish for me.

Going to test out hurricane theories over the next couple days and see if the approaching storm lights them up :) Anyway, full moons can cut both ways. They can be the bomb or a bust. Often it's one extreme or another. Just be mindful how the extra water depth changes the fishing grounds because the fish will adapt and try to find the same conditions they always do. If you typically catch fish in an area that's 8 foot deep for example, you're going likely move to one that's now 8 foot and typically 6 foot. And when they're moving around like that, there are opportunities to get them in transit.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.