This just in from the Hokie Hotline: we need to execute

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

This just in from the Hokie Hotline: we need to execute

Post by BigDave »

Beamer had a line ... I may be slightly off on the wording, but I think it was "every play can work if you execute well".

Huh? So in other words it's not possible for the coaches to call a bad game - the play would have worked if the players had executed it.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Marine Hokie

Re: This just in from the Hokie Hotline: we need to execute

Post by Marine Hokie »

BigDave wrote:Beamer had a line ... I may be slightly off on the wording, but I think it was "every play can work if you execute well".

Huh? So in other words it's not possible for the coaches to call a bad game - the play would have worked if the players had executed it.
You get a Ding!© for criticizing Beamer.
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

I heard that quote too and I'm not sure I understand it. So is he saying that if the offense executes a play perfectly, there's no way any defense (executed perfectly or not) can stop it?

Or is he saying that theoretically, any play (offense or defense) that is executed perfectly will be successful, but in reality, there's no such thing as a perfectly executed play?

My take is that we would be a lot more successful on offense if we were able to execute better, but at some point, it doesn't matter how well you execute if the other team has better players than you have. And there are certainly plays that can fail (depending on the situation) even if they are executed "perfectly." So there's always blame to go around.
BigDave wrote:Beamer had a line ... I may be slightly off on the wording, but I think it was "every play can work if you execute well".

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Who do we need to execute? :)
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Hokie5150 wrote:
[John McKay]I'm all for it.[/John McKay] :P
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
Ha! Well done.