Coaches or players today?

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

I rarely do this, but I lay this on the coaches.

We were clearly not ready. I don't recall EVER looking worse than we did at the beginning of this game.

Foster benched a starting corner ad DBU? If not for an injury, I wonder if he'd have gotten back in the game.

There was a lot of talk about us all week. We're back, baby. Understandable for a bunch of 20 year olds to believe the press clippings. Coaches had to have them with their minds right. They didn't.

Discussed on this board after the osu game that um, we still can't run the ball and we beat a team with a bad qb and a brand new offensive line.

Tackling was dreadful. That in my opinion is often due to coaching. Didn't stress it in practice...didn't stress it in the game...? The boys are better than this.

Dropped passes. On the back of jersey number five, the name should be "clank." That's concentration. Some of that is coaching.

And the kickoff with one minute left. Out of bounds, are you kidding me? ECU only needed about thirty yards to be in fg range. After all that work to get back into the game...

"Special" teams.

But our "defense" seemed to have already decided the game was going into OT, so no sense making any plays in the last minute of a TIE GAME.

I also think that one of the dumbest coaching moves in the history of football was by the idiot running the ecu team. They lead 21-0. They have fourth and two on our 12. A FG keeps momentum, requires FOUR SCORES (and seven years ago) to beat them. Going for it shows no respect for our team, at all.

This is one of the few times our guys seemed to stand up. I said before they went for it, that if they didn't convert, they would lose the game. Our D would have an excuse to man up, get mad and hit someone. And I was right. Until they went back to sleep in the last minute of a TIE GAME.

We are not as good as we thought we were. But we are a lot better than this.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Coaches or players today?

Post by awesome guy »

I think they were sore from playing a physical team last week and it took a while to shake it off. Plus ECU is a good team.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Not saying Budman or Lefty had the best game plan(s), but the players seemed to have their head stuck in last week. We have a lot of green on this team and ups and downs, often times are part of that youth. We aren't so good that we can overlook a senior-laden ECU team.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Too many dropped passes, not being able to score from the 2 and the kick off out of bounds after the tying TD (the height of nitwittery on the kicker). All of these didn't help against a pretty good Pirate team.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Total team loss today. Defense stunk it up for the first quarter, offense stunk it up for half the game, special teams miscue at the end of the game, and outcoached.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

The bright side.....out of conference game so it doesn't really matter. We aren't at the MNC caliber right now anyway. The best this team could probably do this year is win the coastal and try to build towards an ACC crown and shot at the MNC next year.

Maybe this loss gets he team focused for the rest if the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

oaktonhokie wrote:Coaches or players today?
More like Coaches AND players...
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:
Tackling was dreadful. That in my opinion is often due to coaching. Didn't stress it in practice...didn't stress it in the game...? The boys are better than this.

Dropped passes. On the back of jersey number five, the name should be "clank." That's concentration. Some of that is coaching.
To conclude tackling and dropped passes are on coaching is pretty silly IMO. It didn't show up in the first two games but suddenly shows up in the 3rd game? They didn't practice catching the ball during practice this week?

Honestly, I'm shocked Bud was in the Cover 0 the whole time again. It killed us early. I thought we would be in more zone stuff. We're exposed when we have jump balls deep and are defensive backs have to play recovery with their back turned. The bulk of our interceptions over the years have been reading QB's eyes from zone looks. I get why we went risky against Ohio St. with a big time spread running attack but to the same thing against a passing spread seemed too risky for ECU and they exploited it IMO.

Both O line and Brewer just weren't sharp until late and ECU probably let us back in the game by not pressuring during our last two touchdown drives. Hopefully this serves as a good wake up call before conference play.

I think we will stifle the triple option. GT doesn't have the personnel like they used to and Bud has his defensive strategies down IMO. Ken Ekanem lost assignment a couple times during the Ohio St. game (see QB's big runs). GT will try to pick on him IMO.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

BG Hokie wrote:To conclude tackling and dropped passes are on coaching is pretty silly IMO. It didn't show up in the first two games but suddenly shows up in the 3rd game?
With the passing, I can agree. The poor tackling, though, has been a problem for a number of years now and goes back to fundamentals. I blame the coaches for not addressing the matter.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie5150 wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:To conclude tackling and dropped passes are on coaching is pretty silly IMO. It didn't show up in the first two games but suddenly shows up in the 3rd game?
With the passing, I can agree. The poor tackling, though, has been a problem for a number of years now and goes back to fundamentals. I blame the coaches for not addressing the matter.
You guys are looking at it wrong. They weren't missing tackles, ECU threw over us. They were out of position/at a height disadvantage. ECU just has a ton of tall receivers, seniors to boot. Our guys are great athletes, but still young and learning. And that's been a theme so far this year across college football. Look at BC vs. USC-West, same thing of a big and senior team beating a more athletic, yet youthful team. And one following a grueling physical battle the previous week to boot. It's hard to imagine how tight and swore you are after facing a big and physical team like OSU, you really need a bye week after playing such a team to recover.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

exactly, just a bad game but we had zero chance of getting to the playoff this year, nobody from the coastal is getting by the noles as long as lobster boy is not in jail
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:The bright side.....out of conference game so it doesn't really matter. We aren't at the MNC caliber right now anyway. The best this team could probably do this year is win the coastal and try to build towards an ACC crown and shot at the MNC next year.

Maybe this loss gets he team focused for the rest if the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

lots of upsets the Sat. GA/usc game shocked me also. I was in the stands so missed the other games but listened to the cock/dawg game on the way back home some.
We had way to many dropped passes on our side tho, and the passes were not bad passes. Brewer has to tighten up some tho and not just throw it into coverage at times
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
You guys are looking at it wrong. They weren't missing tackles, ECU threw over us. They were out of position/at a height disadvantage. ECU just has a ton of tall receivers, seniors to boot. Our guys are great athletes, but still young and learning. And that's been a theme so far this year across college football. Look at BC vs. USC-West, same thing of a big and senior team beating a more athletic, yet youthful team. And one following a grueling physical battle the previous week to boot. It's hard to imagine how tight and swore you are after facing a big and physical team like OSU, you really need a bye week after playing such a team to recover.