I won't keep doing this.

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Re: I won't keep doing this.

Post by Florida Hokie »

hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
hokie80 wrote:We used to be better than FSU and they've always had money.
:lol:
Dense much? We actually used to win the ACC. Of course, that was when FSU had an over-the-hill coach that let their program run down.

Oops.
There's one win in this list that came against that old decrepit coach. The 2010 win came against a new coach. I stopped the list where I did because every year prior under Bowden, VT lost.

Individual Game Results of Virginia Tech (vs Florida State)

Date Opponent (record) Result Score Site
11/8/2012 vs. *Florida State (12-2) L 22 28
12/4/2010 vs. *Florida State (10-4) W 44 33 @ Charlotte, NC ACC Championship
10/25/2008 @ *Florida State (9-4) L 20 30
11/10/2007 vs. *Florida State (7-6) W 40 21
12/3/2005 vs. *Florida State (8-5) L 22 27 @ Jacksonville, FL ACC Championship
1/1/2002 vs. Florida State (8-4) L 17 30 @ Jacksonville, FL Gator Bowl
1/4/2000 vs. Florida State (12-0) L 29 46 @ New Orleans, LA Sugar Bowl

Our best teams didn't beat their mediocre teams but for one year. It is laughable to compare VT to FSU. We aren't FSU and a coaching change won't make us FSU.
hokie80
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

Florida Hokie wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
Dense much? We actually used to win the ACC. Of course, that was when FSU had an over-the-hill coach that let their program run down.

Oops.
There's one win in this list that came against that old decrepit coach. The 2010 win came against a new coach. I stopped the list where I did because every year prior under Bowden, VT lost.

Our best teams didn't beat their mediocre teams but for one year. It is laughable to compare VT to FSU. We aren't FSU and a coaching change won't make us FSU.

From 2004 (when we joined the ACC) through 2011, FSU played for the ACC Championship a total of 2 times with 1 win. We had 4 ACC Championships in that same span and played in it 6 times.

So yes..we once were better than FSU in the ACC.

Next?
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

Oops.

From 2004 (when we joined the ACC) through 2011, FSU played for the ACC Championship a total of 2 times with 1 win. We had 4 ACC Championships in that same span and played in it 6 times.

Next?
No other questions. You are correct. Just get us a hot coaching prospect and the National Titles will come a-rollin'.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Florida Hokie wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

Oops.

Next?
No other questions. You are correct. Just get us a hot coaching prospect and the National Titles will come a-rollin'.
Don't be a tool.

Let's get back to where we were at least competitive in the ACC and had a chance to win the conference.

or we can stick our head in the sand and live off those 10 win seasons. Oh wait.

I guess we have to go to consecutive bowl appearances now.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

hokie80 wrote:Don't be a tool.

Let's get back to where we were at least competitive in the ACC and had a chance to win the conference.

or we can stick our head in the sand and live off those 10 win seasons. Oh wait.

I'm not being a tool. It is absolute folly to compare us to FSU. FSU invests in its program in a way VT doesn't do, won't ever do, and, quite frankly, I don't want it to do. You are letting the emotion of the season change your expectations. Mine were low to begin with this year. Just because we beat OSU, which was awesome, doesn't mean we were any more prepared for this season than before.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Florida Hokie wrote:

I'm not being a tool. It is absolute folly to compare us to FSU. FSU invests in its program in a way VT doesn't do, won't ever do, and, quite frankly, I don't want it to do. You are letting the emotion of the season change your expectations. Mine were low to begin with this year. Just because we beat OSU, which was awesome, doesn't mean we were any more prepared for this season than before.

Well heck, let's just give up and accept that FSU will own the ACC every year. That sounds like one heck of a plan.

And the issue isn't just this year. It's been going downhill for a while.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

Well heck, let's just give up and accept that FSU will own the ACC every year. That sounds like one heck of a plan.

Number form the 2010 - 2011 season (from a Clemson website)

Football Revenue: VT ($35.1 million) FSU ($35.8 million)

Football Expenses: VT (20 million) FSU (18.7 million)

Seems like we are on par with them for football. But the number did not break down details.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

OK cwtcr.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

hokie80 wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

Seems like we are on par with them for football. But the number did not break down details.
Jimbo is a $4M man. VT won't ever hire one that high - nor should they:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ary-buyout
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Florida Hokie wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think that should be the focus of a University. That money is stupid.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I don't think that should be the focus of a University. That money is stupid.[/quote]

I won't disagree that it's a stupid amount of money. But it is a market based salary.

Beamer makes less than London at UVa. And the new AD strikes me as someone who is willing to open the purse strings to get quality coaches.

We should be paying at, or close to the top, for the ACC. Certainly not SEC money. But we should be at the market for ACC coaches.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

hokie80 wrote:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think that should be the focus of a University. That money is stupid.[/quote]

I won't disagree that it's a stupid amount of money. But it is a market based salary.

Beamer makes less than London at UVa. And the new AD strikes me as someone who is willing to open the purse strings to get quality coaches.

We should be paying at, or close to the top, for the ACC. Certainly not SEC money. But we should be at the market for ACC coaches.[/quote]

Exactly - and FSU pays SEC money. We don't nor will we. That was my point from the beginning.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Florida Hokie wrote:
hokie80 wrote:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think that should be the focus of a University. That money is stupid.

We should be paying at, or close to the top, for the ACC. Certainly not SEC money. But we should be at the market for ACC coaches.[/quote]

Exactly - and FSU pays SEC money. We don't nor will we. That was my point from the beginning.[/quote]

Not really. Jimbo and Frank are actually pretty close.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

hokie80 wrote:Not really. Jimbo and Frank are actually pretty close.

That is an old list (still has Mack Brown at UT). He's under a new contract now. His base is $3.25M

Regardless, I've exhausted what little I cared about this particular issue. I appreciate what you believe to be possible for VT - I just don't see us getting there.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Florida Hokie wrote:

That is an old list (still has Mack Brown at UT). He's under a new contract now. His base is $3.25M

Regardless, I've exhausted what little I cared about this particular issue. I appreciate what you believe to be possible for VT - I just don't see us getting there.
But the money isn't that big of a difference (unlike what you suggested). Basically it's $500k more. We could easily pay that. And Jimbo got that raise after winning the MNC. he's been able to accomplish more in a shorter period of time than Beamer has in his entire tenure.

Jumbo makes half of what Saban does and yet won a NC. So your point on money being the issue wasn't exactly accurate.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

the program has been in decline , .500 years are awful I know (some teams would love that) but yes after many many years of very good teams we stepped back.... please name a team that does not go thru the same stuff... just one
hokie80 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:so make sure you beat the drum to drive Beamer out, the most winningest active coach today... great plan

Beamer did not throw the horrible int's and we now know why Brewer transferred from TT, he is a turnover machine. But we all knew we had QB questions coming into 2014 and we also know we have some very promising prospects behind brewer.....so no we are not winning an MNC in 2014, which we all knew if Winston can stay out of jail was not going to happen anyways......
hokie80 wrote:Meh. Game has passed Beamer by. We are (at best) a middle of the road ACC team.
Beamer is going to retire at some point. The program has been in decline. It's not an issue of winning the National Championship. We can't even win the ACC anymore.

Bowden had more wins than Beamer before he was asked to leave. And FSU is better for it.

I LOL at those of you who think the program will just shut down with Beamer gone. Ever stop and think that maybe, just maybe it would get better?
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

the genius that is Jimbo did not do much until Winston showed up.... then when the idiot is benched by the nole admin you saw the results, the nole team Sat. was pitiful and klempson is down substantially this year, they even dumped their Qb in the first half

hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

But the money isn't that big of a difference (unlike what you suggested). Basically it's $500k more. We could easily pay that. And Jimbo got that raise after winning the MNC. he's been able to accomplish more in a shorter period of time than Beamer has in his entire tenure.

Jumbo makes half of what Saban does and yet won a NC. So your point on money being the issue wasn't exactly accurate.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:the genius that is Jimbo did not do much until Winston showed up.... then when the idiot is benched by the nole admin you saw the results, the nole team Sat. was pitiful and klempson is down substantially this year, they even dumped their Qb in the first half

hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

Yet they still managed to win.

As expected, you don't give Jimbo any credit. You didn't when he was hired and yet he brought them back to national prominence.

I'll just leave it at that.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

As long as Winston is not in jail or benched by the nole admin. the noles do own the ACC, that is obvious, of course we saw how they looked without him.
ip_law-hokie wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

OK cwtcr.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

yes they won with Jimbo, they won with Diddy Bowden, its not really hard to recruit to FSU so they have a very good shot at winning. But PRIOR to Winston showing up to harass the women of FSU and steal whatever he wants they did well Like us but nothing super special. Jimbo is a fine coach but as demonstrated once he took over he was not the incredible O genius that many thought he was
hokie80 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:the genius that is Jimbo did not do much until Winston showed up.... then when the idiot is benched by the nole admin you saw the results, the nole team Sat. was pitiful and klempson is down substantially this year, they even dumped their Qb in the first half

hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

As expected, you don't give Jimbo any credit. You didn't when he was hired and yet he brought them back to national prominence.

BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Florida Hokie wrote:Just to note - VT isn't FSU. VT isn't going to throw FSU level money at it. We'll get a decent coach but I wouldn't expect a dramatic improvement.
5000ish unsold seats * $300 each = $1.5 million. Granted, it's not quite that many since we're going to sell a lot of those seats for UVA-C + scUM. So say it's only a $1 million swing if we get back to selling out. We're paying Coach Beamer $2 million/year and change so we can pay at least $3 million if it would sell out the stadium ... and that's not even counting what we'd get from increased donations, jersey sales, etc.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:yes they won with Jimbo, they won with Diddy Bowden, its not really hard to recruit to FSU so they have a very good shot at winning. But PRIOR to Winston showing up to harass the women of FSU and steal whatever he wants they did well Like us but nothing super special. Jimbo is a fine coach but as demonstrated once he took over he was not the incredible O genius that many thought he was
hokie80 wrote:

hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

They had better talent when we were beating them and winning the ACC. Bowden wasn't effective any longer.

And I contend that if we had a coach that wasn't on the decline, we could get better recruits. We used to keep the top talent from in-state. We don't any more.

I seriously don't understand how you can constantly be in denial on this.

BTW - this is where you use the tired old comeback - "Who are you going to get to replace him?' routine.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nobody is in denial that our program was very good for a long time, now we have had a couple of so-so seasons and this one is not over, we have a lot of young talent so I am not worried. Sorry that I think a coach as good as Frank is can still be good.... I know your ONLY solution is to fire everyone in sight. But ignore all the recruits we are landing and how young our team is, please do. Your tired old line is change the coaches, it will all get better, I swear....... plenty of examples of that not occurring across the college football landscape. Frank did not throw the int's, but he did recruit what appear to be at least two very good QB's ready if need be this year but will be our starter in 2015. I know patience is impossible for you, but you may want to get some as WE ALL KNEW THIS WAS NOT THE YEAR THAT WE GET TO THE MNC GAME!! Nobody was predicting that so yes we were probably not going un-defeated.... we can still win all the rest of the games tho, lets see how it plays out. But no matter who it is from the Coastal if Winston is the Nole QB come December, Noles win the ACC again and Winston goes pro and continues to mess up in the pros instead of college. He is Johnny Football on crack
hokie80 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:yes they won with Jimbo, they won with Diddy Bowden, its not really hard to recruit to FSU so they have a very good shot at winning. But PRIOR to Winston showing up to harass the women of FSU and steal whatever he wants they did well Like us but nothing super special. Jimbo is a fine coach but as demonstrated once he took over he was not the incredible O genius that many thought he was

I seriously don't understand how you can constantly be in denial on this.

BTW - this is where you use the tired old comeback - "Who are you going to get to replace him?' routine.
[/quote]
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

I didn't even realize it until I saw Chris mention it in an article, but we have now lost our last four home games against 1A teams. That's an awful streak.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk