Texas talking to Bama about Saban

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
Valencia Hokie

Texas talking to Bama about Saban

Post by Valencia Hokie »

I know Saban has left good diggs for more money in the past (one of the reasons I can't stand him) but I can't imagine UT being able to woo him away from Bama. Why would you leave a dream job with insane talent and big alumni support. Dude's got a STATUE on campus. SMH. I'll give UT this - they got some REALLY big marbles to even pursue this. They must have some HUGE dollars behind this inquiry...HUUUUUGE!
cwtcr hokie

Re: Texas talking to Bama about Saban

Post by cwtcr hokie »

he has won it all at bama and will again prob. this year, no challenge left, the shorthorns are a challenge and the talent in texas is immense.... I would think he jumps, doubt he would take the condoms job tho as the talent level out west is not near as good as the east or texas.
Valencia Hokie wrote:I know Saban has left good diggs for more money in the past (one of the reasons I can't stand him) but I can't imagine UT being able to woo him away from Bama. Why would you leave a dream job with insane talent and big alumni support. Dude's got a STATUE on campus. SMH. I'll give UT this - they got some REALLY big marbles to even pursue this. They must have some HUGE dollars behind this inquiry...HUUUUUGE!
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

I would not be too surprised if he left. What else does he have to accomplish at Alabama? Texas will pay him a huge pile of money and he can resurrect a great program.

Valencia Hokie wrote:I know Saban has left good diggs for more money in the past (one of the reasons I can't stand him) but I can't imagine UT being able to woo him away from Bama. Why would you leave a dream job with insane talent and big alumni support. Dude's got a STATUE on campus. SMH. I'll give UT this - they got some REALLY big marbles to even pursue this. They must have some HUGE dollars behind this inquiry...HUUUUUGE!
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

oaktonhokie wrote:I would not be too surprised if he left. What else does he have to accomplish at Alabama? Texas will pay him a huge pile of money and he can resurrect a great program.

and stay a step ahead of the NCAA probes and sanctions sure to follow.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote: and stay a step ahead of the NCAA probes and sanctions sure to follow.
Has he had NCAA troubles at his previous stops?

It wouldn't surprise me if there are problems at Alabama because, well, it's Alabama. They paid a high school coach $150K to send a D-lineman to them.

But has Saban ever been dirty?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:
awesome guy wrote: and stay a step ahead of the NCAA probes and sanctions sure to follow.
Has he had NCAA troubles at his previous stops?

It wouldn't surprise me if there are problems at Alabama because, well, it's Alabama. They paid a high school coach $150K to send a D-lineman to them.

But has Saban ever been dirty?
I've heard rumors about his time at LSU. That said, I assume all SEC schools are dirty and it's just a matter of who got caught and who hasn't.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Meh Texas only wants him...

Post by Major Kong »

if he agrees to bring his entire 'bama team with him. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

miles

Post by miles »

I've been wrong many times before, and will no doubt be wrong many times to come; but, I say Saban stays at Bama for the duration of his career, scandal/wrongdoing/losing/alumni-booster-administraion relations notwithstanding. I used to view him as a flea, much like Larry Brown, but he has eclipsed that stigma and emerged on a different plane. He is now very rich and has attained "Bear Bryant" status at Alabama.

Texas does have really big marbles. They do have HUGE dollars. They have a disproportionately HUGE share of arrogant asshole university and athletic administration employees with arrogant attitude, not to mention a HUGE number of rich and influential donors. What Texas does not have at this time is RESPECT outside of Austin. They are viewed as having ruined the Big whatever conference with their greed and arrogance. Four major universities with longstanding traditions and national interest and significance departed as a direct response to Texas' actions. None of them are interested in scheduling future games with Texas. The end of any association between UT and ATM says it all.

With all this in mind, I don't think Saban will jump to Texas.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

miles wrote:I've been wrong many times before, and will no doubt be wrong many times to come; but, I say Saban stays at Bama for the duration of his career, scandal/wrongdoing/losing/alumni-booster-administraion relations notwithstanding. I used to view him as a flea, much like Larry Brown, but he has eclipsed that stigma and emerged on a different plane. He is now very rich and has attained "Bear Bryant" status at Alabama.

Texas does have really big marbles. They do have HUGE dollars. They have a disproportionately HUGE share of arrogant asshole university and athletic administration employees with arrogant attitude, not to mention a HUGE number of rich and influential donors. What Texas does not have at this time is RESPECT outside of Austin. They are viewed as having ruined the Big whatever conference with their greed and arrogance. Four major universities with longstanding traditions and national interest and significance departed as a direct response to Texas' actions. None of them are interested in scheduling future games with Texas. The end of any association between UT and ATM says it all.

I wonder how high the bidding will get. I could see a $100M ten year deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
miles wrote:I've been wrong many times before, and will no doubt be wrong many times to come; but, I say Saban stays at Bama for the duration of his career, scandal/wrongdoing/losing/alumni-booster-administraion relations notwithstanding. I used to view him as a flea, much like Larry Brown, but he has eclipsed that stigma and emerged on a different plane. He is now very rich and has attained "Bear Bryant" status at Alabama.

I wonder how high the bidding will get. I could see a $100M ten year deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wondered that as well. Might be Billy Beane to the Red Soxs kind of money. I can see him being more highly paid than any NFL coach. Bama is going to give him a huge golden parachute and the buyout $$$ will be stratospheric. The only way Saban leaves Bama is an SMU like violation string, or a losing record (like Mack B.). :o)
Tafkam Hokie

Post by Tafkam Hokie »

I can see a few reasons why Texas might be more attractive than Alabama.

If Saban cares one whit about his legacy and is trying to become the greatest college football coach of all time, he will always struggle to do that at Alabama. I say that simply because no one not named Bear Bryant will ever have that title in Tuscaloosa.

You gotta think winning in the BXII has to be easier than winning in the SEC.

There is more/better talent in Texas than Alabama, and you would have a decent shot at monopolizing it. To be successful at Alabama, you need to be able to poach talent from the states of Florida, Georgia, and Louisiana, as well as fend off Auburn for the in-state talent. You could probably recruit a national-championship caliber team without driving more than four hours from the Texas campus very often.

But that said, Saban himself has said that at age 62, he is too $#%^% old to think about starting over at another program. It isn't like Alabama is a bad job, and the few ways that Texas might be a better job almost certainly aren't worth the hassle of starting his career over at that age.