We aren't a good football program anymore.

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
oaktonhokie

Re: We aren't a good football program anymore.

Post by oaktonhokie »

One man's opinion:

Yup, we are not a good program now. Not sure how long we need to wait for loeffler et al to make a difference. Certainly, if next year is not a lot better, we should overhaul the entire system.

I am mystified by brewer y'day. I like the kid. He's tough. But he was AWFUL yesterday. His completions were poorly thrown. I wondered to some friends if he is injured. He did not look right.

He is not joe Montana. But he is not hanna Montana either. Yesterday, I don't get it.

Regarding beamer, I have said before that he has earned the right to leave on his own terms. He has done great things for the program and the university. That said, I hope there is a succession plan. Um frank, it's getting late...

But I caution against change for the sake of change. Or hope and change for the sake of, you know. Don't want to go from the frying pan to the fire. A bad choice as head coach could doom the program for a decade or more.

We obviously don't recruit very well. You can't have an OL stink this bad for this long and know what you're doing. Are Baylor and Mississippi state getting five star recruits? There are threes and fours out there that can play. But we can't find them.

Last year we recruited two three-star quarterbacks. Hoooray. But um, that's not the same as one six-star qb. Anyone think a three star qb will take us to the promised land? (Spare me the one in a million story of a tom brady).

He is the question imo. And I asked the same re the basketball team. Is Virginia tech a DESTINATION for a great coach, or is it on the route to get a REALLY good job? If texas, southern cal or notre dame are down for a few years, there will be a line around the block to get that gig. Virginia tech...urban meyer, lou saban...or shane beamer?

If we are going to win, we need to recruit better.
If we are going to recruit better, we need a coach that people have heard of. Not (even) a brilliant coach who will be someone in five years, but does not have an nfl caliber resume. Kids want to play in the nfl. Can the new coach get them there?

I am of two minds, beamer has been great for my alma mater. God bless him and i'm willing to give him a very long leash and let him retire on his terms.

My hope is, that he will do what is best for the program in the next year or so. I will not ask for his resignation. I hope I don't have to.

hokie80 wrote:And it strarts at the top.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Hokie5150 wrote:
HokieHam wrote:Young team.......horrible O-Line.....still feeling the Newsome.......
How many years do we get to use that excuse?
It's been 2 years since he's been gone......still playing with some of his players.....plus it doesn't help when you have 1......ONE.....O-Line recruit the year before Beams finally got rid of him.....
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

HokieHam wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
HokieHam wrote:Young team.......horrible O-Line.....still feeling the Newsome.......
How many years do we get to use that excuse?
It's been 2 years since he's been gone......still playing with some of his players.....plus it doesn't help when you have 1......ONE.....O-Line recruit the year before Beams finally got rid of him.....
Gus Malzahn replaced the former HC of Auburn (where we got Lofler) and in his first year as HC took them to the national championship game using the same players from the previous regime. Just sayin'
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:I've resigned myself to reluctantly accept that Beamer has built the program, and can leave on his own terms. I'll just say that I hope he decides to spend more time with his family as he ages.
That's asinine. Why would an underperforming employee get to decide when they leave?
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:I've resigned myself to reluctantly accept that Beamer has built the program, and can leave on his own terms. I'll just say that I hope he decides to spend more time with his family as he ages.
That's asinine. Why would an underperforming employee get to decide when they leave?
After they've built the company? You've been around long enough to know how the world works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
After they've built the company? You've been around long enough to know how the world works.

If Facebook falls to $2/share under Zuckerberg's watch 15 years from now (not accounting for any splits), moves would be made to remove him from the company. FSU had a lost decade after they basically let Bobby Bowden leave on his own terms when he should've been forced out sooner. VT could eventually see a similar fate if they let Beamer retire on his own terms and VT strings a bunch of 6/7-win seasons.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

If Facebook falls to $2/share under Zuckerberg's watch 15 years from now (not accounting for any splits), moves would be made to remove him from the company. FSU had a lost decade after they basically let Bobby Bowden leave on his own terms when he should've been forced out sooner. VT could eventually see a similar fate if they let Beamer retire on his own terms and VT strings a bunch of 6/7-win seasons.

Well that's what we are going to get, because VT is not run anything like a public company.

Just a bunch of good ole boys . . .

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Well that's what we are going to get, because VT is not run anything like a public company.

Ohhh. I see where you're getting.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Ohhh. I see where you're getting.

Am I wrong?

CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

It shouldn't be that way. He is being paid a pile of cash to do a good job. If he doesn't do a good job there should be a time where he gets canned.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
It shouldn't be that way. He is being paid a pile of cash to do a good job. If he doesn't do a good job there should be a time where he gets canned.
I dont see how VT could win a PR war if they "fired" him. But VT and/or the BOVs could put a tremendous amount of pressure on him to resign. That's the only way he leaves before he wants to leave. Similar to B. Bowden. He "resigned" but then the school promptly honored him and his years of service"

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)