We aren't a good football program anymore.

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

We aren't a good football program anymore.

Post by hokie80 »

And it strarts at the top.
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Re: We aren't a good football program anymore.

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

hokie80 wrote:And it strarts at the top.
Like a broken record.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Like a broken record.
Reality is a bitch.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

hokie80 wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Like a broken record.
Reality is a bitch.

thanks Coach 80
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

awesome guy wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Like a broken record.
Reality is a bitch.

thanks Coach 80
You think we are?

We are 17-14 since 2011. We don't even compete in the worst of the Big 5 conferences. We are an irrelevant football program right now and have been going on our 3rd year in a row.

One need not be a coach to see the obvious.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Young team.......horrible O-Line.....still feeling the Newsome.......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

HokieHam wrote:Young team.......horrible O-Line.....still feeling the Newsome.......
2014 - young team and o-line
2013 - no play makers and o-line
2012 - o-line

Seems there is always an excuse.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

hokie80 wrote:
HokieHam wrote:Young team.......horrible O-Line.....still feeling the Newsome.......
2012 - o-line

There is a common thing there ;)

I do blame Beamer for this mess.....he is the CEO. He kept Newsome around 4 years longer than needed. He let Stiney call plays for too long. But yeah, it rest on Beams.......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

not sure if you noticed but a huge part of our problem right now is injuries, you blame coaches for that??? really??? Beside the fact that Brewer played awful tonight, but we knew in January of this year we may have an issue at QB, we have one, he plays confident and he throws it to the wrong team, got away with an absolutely horrible decision on the int. in the end zone that was negated for the penalty. reality 80, our team is extremely young and many starters are injured and not playing..... any team will struggle with that scenario

but yes after a whole bunch of great years we have fallen down some the last two years, our hope was that brewer would be a fill in for a year and get us a decent season but he turned out to be a turnover machine and tonight he was throwing the ball horribly
hokie80 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Like a broken record.
Reality is a bitch.

thanks Coach 80
You think we are?

We are 17-14 since 2011. We don't even compete in the worst of the Big 5 conferences. We are an irrelevant football program right now and have been going on our 3rd year in a row.

One need not be a coach to see the obvious.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

so what excuse does texas use or South Carolina, or any others that do not win every game
hokie80 wrote:
2012 - o-line

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Why did Brewer not want to throw down field tonight? He kept throwing these shirt sideline throws for 3 or 4 yards. Was no one ever open over the middle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

I've resigned myself to reluctantly accept that Beamer has built the program, and can leave on his own terms. I'll just say that I hope he decides to spend more time with his family as he ages.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

How many years do we get to use that excuse?
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
I don't know, but I do know that when a program has to resort to using that excuse, it usually does not result in good things. How many years did UVa use that excuse? And the great future years never materialized. I believe FSU was using that excuse in the final Bowden years, and they were never able to get back on top until after he left and Jimbo brought in a fresh new crop of players.

When I hear "young team" I translate that to mean our upper classmen aren't very good and we had several years of recruiting misses.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
I don't know, but I do know that when a program has to resort to using that excuse, it usually does not result in good things. How many years did UVa use that excuse? And the great future years never materialized. I believe FSU was using that excuse in the final Bowden years, and they were never able to get back on top until after he left and Jimbo brought in a fresh new crop of players.

When I hear "young team" I translate that to mean our upper classmen aren't very good and we had several years of recruiting misses.
As much as I hate to say it, UVA is playing much better and much more consistent football than VT and they may well have turned the corner on the "young team" thing. They will be very interesting to watch for the rest of the year. Other than Florida State (who I think is beatable), UVA could very well win out the rest of their season.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:so what excuse does texas use or South Carolina, or any others that do not win every game
hokie80 wrote:
2012 - o-line

SC Record in same period:

25-7 overall (14-7 in the best conference in the Big 5)

Texas - Thier coach is in his first season as HC. The fired Mack Brown for lack of recent success and the program deteriorating under him (sound familiar).

Thank you for picking those two programs. You helped support my argument very well.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I think he has gotten totally gun shy about turning the ball over. in the past his throwing was pretty accurate, he just made some horrible decisions on where to throw the ball thus leading to being a turnover machine, now his accuracy is in the toilet as I think he tries to avoid any chance of an int.
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Why did Brewer not want to throw down field tonight? He kept throwing these shirt sideline throws for 3 or 4 yards. Was no one ever open over the middle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

the real part is the injuries and the youth, we are loaded with underclassmen starting right now, not an excuse, its the reality
Hokie5150 wrote:
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

except Jimbo did not excel until Winston showed up.... and I doubt Winston finishes the year on the team. You saw what happened when Winston was benched for a game, right?
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

the shorthorns have been gawd awful the past few years, SC is loaded with talent and still not winning when they should.

we know we were very good for a long time, did you actually expect no letdown ever???? when does that happen in college ball???
hokie80 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:so what excuse does texas use or South Carolina, or any others that do not win every game
hokie80 wrote:
2012 - o-line

Texas - Thier coach is in his first season as HC. The fired Mack Brown for lack of recent success and the program deteriorating under him (sound familiar).

Thank you for picking those two programs. You helped support my argument very well.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:the shorthorns have been gawd awful the past few years, SC is loaded with talent and still not winning when they should.

we know we were very good for a long time, did you actually expect no letdown ever???? when does that happen in college ball???
hokie80 wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
2012 - o-line

And because TX was "god awful", they fired their HC and brought in a new one.

SC 3 losses are to top SEC teams from the SEC west, so I'm not sure what your point is/was.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

dude, we disagree, your ONLY solution is to start firing folks, mine is to look at the situation and try and fix it..... your solution has zero guarantee of actually working, it may or it could get worse. We have a good coaching staff, and had a couple of rough years...... not shocking considering how well we did the previous 15 years tho.
hokie80 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:the shorthorns have been gawd awful the past few years, SC is loaded with talent and still not winning when they should.

hokie80 wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
2012 - o-line

And because TX was "god awful", they fired their HC and brought in a new one.

SC 3 losses are to top SEC teams from the SEC west, so I'm not sure what your point is/was.
Cpt Jagdish
Party: None of the above

Post by Cpt Jagdish »

Our program hasn't necessarily gotten worse, it's gotten stale and complacent. And because college football is evolving at an exponential pace, Virginia Tech has been surpassed by many other programs and others are right behind ready to make the jump.

Not until Loeffler did I think the program was at all trying to be progressive. Long are the days that football programs could just be solid and have a leg up on the competition. You have to be much more and Beamer is not the coach to bring the Hokies out of this funk. The longer Beamer and co. stay at the helm, the worse the program deteriorates and becomes an attractive option.

A lot of times, organizations (whether pro or amateur) can be viewed just by describing their identity. If you have an identity, and you play to its strengths, you can be successful. What is Virginia Tech football? If you had to describe it, how would you describe it. Whatever it was, it's not that anymore.

Inept offense, aggressive defense, DB U, not beamerball, chokies. It's negative for sure, but am I being dishonest?
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Cpt Jagdish wrote:Our program hasn't necessarily gotten worse, it's gotten stale and complacent. And because college football is evolving at an exponential pace, Virginia Tech has been surpassed by many other programs and others are right behind ready to make the jump.

Not until Loeffler did I think the program was at all trying to be progressive. Long are the days that football programs could just be solid and have a leg up on the competition. You have to be much more and Beamer is not the coach to bring the Hokies out of this funk. The longer Beamer and co. stay at the helm, the worse the program deteriorates and becomes an attractive option.

A lot of times, organizations (whether pro or amateur) can be viewed just by describing their identity. If you have an identity, and you play to its strengths, you can be successful. What is Virginia Tech football? If you had to describe it, how would you describe it. Whatever it was, it's not that anymore.

Inept offense, aggressive defense, DB U, not beamerball, chokies. It's negative for sure, but am I being dishonest?
Beamer has become the Bowden of VT. Game has passed him by
Cpt Jagdish
Party: None of the above

Post by Cpt Jagdish »

hokie80 wrote:
Cpt Jagdish wrote:Our program hasn't necessarily gotten worse, it's gotten stale and complacent. And because college football is evolving at an exponential pace, Virginia Tech has been surpassed by many other programs and others are right behind ready to make the jump.

Beamer has become the Bowden of VT. Game has passed him by
Agreed.

And I respect what Beamer has done for the program. It's been a great ride. I don't understand the argument that firing/replacing coaches might not solve anything. We already know what we are getting by keeping Beamer as HC. Give me the unknown and something fresh rather than middling records and maybe making a bowl game sponsored by a regional peanut producer.