No heart. No leadership. And a coaching staff

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

No heart. No leadership. And a coaching staff

Post by hokie80 »

that is lost.

Beamer is in the Bowden syndrome.

We are an irrelevant football program.
UpstateSCHokie

Re: No heart. No leadership. And a coaching staff

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

hokie80 wrote:that is lost.

Beamer reminds me more of Don Nehlen in his twilight years. Bowden at least won few natty titles (one at Frank's expense).

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Beamer reminds me more of Don Nehlen in his twilight years. Bowden at least won few natty titles (one at Frank's expense).
I like the Don Nehlen comparison.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

I like the Don Nehlen comparison.
Agreed.
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

I agree. I just left the stadium. I drove up here. Five hours. I won't put up with this. Cheaters get more. I told you. Miami, UNC and other alpha programs. I won't take this lying down. I will make the decisions now. I won't spend my money on this. Just like I won't spend my money on mediocre chicks. I spend my money on other things. Not on at football, engagement rings and mediocre chicks. ]size=200][/size]
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Another TD. While I do the right thing, alphas get more. No more. No marriage, no rings and no marriage. Game is a microcosm of life. I won't put up with it.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:

Another TD. While I do the right thing, alphas get more. No more. No marriage, no rings and no marriage. Game is a microcosm of life. I won't put up with it.

what are you putting up with?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

awesome guy wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

Microcosm of life. I believe Beamer runs an honest program. It's not a winner. Just like I run an honest life, a life of integrity and honesty, I get less. I'm tired of it. I won't continue this. It's my turn. Time to stop whining and start taking. Lying is now allowed. Hehe.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

I stayed until the bitter end. This slide downward absolutely sucks.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

BigDave wrote:I stayed until the bitter end. This slide downward absolutely sucks.
Beamer stuck with Stiney way too long. And when he was finally pressured to make a change, he hired the OC from Auburn (after Auburn having a HORRIBLE offense under Leoffler). "Coincidentally", Auburn's offense gets better with basically the same personnel the next year.

Beamer is a great human being. He really is. He brought the VT program out of obscurity and made it relevant. But, like many coaches past their prime, the game has passed him by. And frankly, he's never been a good big game coach. His ability to manage the clock is awful. And he panics under the spotlight for the most part.

The program is now irrelevant. My concern is that the longer he stays, the worse of a hole it will be for whoever replaces him. VT truly is an "old boy network" instead of a forward thinking program. No, we aren't going to get a Nick Saban. But there are a LOT of quality coaches out there that we could attract and afford to pay. And I also think our new AD has a great vision and knack for selling our program. But the longer Frank stays, the more the talent will go downhill. We aren't even getting any of the top talent in our own state anymore.

He really should step down.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

his right hand, sometimes he switches to his left
awesome guy wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

80, that is not going to happen. any coach would have issues with the team this year. Brewer was supposed to be better, OL issues, RB injury issues, LB issues, secondary issues, lost best DL person..... but fire everyone in sight, that will fix those issues. No problem with Loefler's running of the Offense, Brewer due to his unique ability to throw it to the other team at the worst time possible has now lost all of his confidence and cannot throw the ball over 5 yards and holds the ball for 30 minutes...... and yes with the youth we have next year will be better with a new QB
hokie80 wrote:
BigDave wrote:I stayed until the bitter end. This slide downward absolutely sucks.
Beamer stuck with Stiney way too long. And when he was finally pressured to make a change, he hired the OC from Auburn (after Auburn having a HORRIBLE offense under Leoffler). "Coincidentally", Auburn's offense gets better with basically the same personnel the next year.

Beamer is a great human being. He really is. He brought the VT program out of obscurity and made it relevant. But, like many coaches past their prime, the game has passed him by. And frankly, he's never been a good big game coach. His ability to manage the clock is awful. And he panics under the spotlight for the most part.

The program is now irrelevant. My concern is that the longer he stays, the worse of a hole it will be for whoever replaces him. VT truly is an "old boy network" instead of a forward thinking program. No, we aren't going to get a Nick Saban. But there are a LOT of quality coaches out there that we could attract and afford to pay. And I also think our new AD has a great vision and knack for selling our program. But the longer Frank stays, the more the talent will go downhill. We aren't even getting any of the top talent in our own state anymore.

hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:80, that is not going to happen. any coach would have issues with the team this year. Brewer was supposed to be better, OL issues, RB injury issues, LB issues, secondary issues, lost best DL person..... but fire everyone in sight, that will fix those issues. No problem with Loefler's running of the Offense, Brewer due to his unique ability to throw it to the other team at the worst time possible has now lost all of his confidence and cannot throw the ball over 5 yards and holds the ball for 30 minutes...... and yes with the youth we have next year will be better with a new QB
hokie80 wrote:

You worked in the Information Ministry for Iraq, didn't you?

Suffice it to say, as with most football related matters, you are wrong.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

hokie80 wrote: You worked in the Information Ministry for Iraq, didn't you?

80 - I'm saying this as your friend. Step back from the ledge man. it'll be alright. i went to a concert last night. My heart is not troubled.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

cwtcr hokie wrote:80, that is not going to happen. any coach would have issues with the team this year. Brewer was supposed to be better, OL issues, RB injury issues, LB issues, secondary issues, lost best DL person..... but fire everyone in sight, that will fix those issues. No problem with Loefler's running of the Offense, Brewer due to his unique ability to throw it to the other team at the worst time possible has now lost all of his confidence and cannot throw the ball over 5 yards and holds the ball for 30 minutes...... and yes with the youth we have next year will be better with a new QB
How many of Akron's players would start for even our depleted team? Somehow they beat Pitt.

We used to mock Algroh for being a "young team" every year. You have who you have - you still need to beat the bad teams and at least put on a respectable show against the good teams. We have done neither, apart from the tOSU game and most of the UNC game.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Florida Hokie wrote:

80 - I'm saying this as your friend. Step back from the ledge man. it'll be alright. i went to a concert last night. My heart is not troubled.
Having correct observations is not being near the ledge.

Frankly (pun intended) we played like I thought we would play.

But the reality is we aren't a relevant program.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

most teams are not relevant 80 but yes it will stay like this forever
hokie80 wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

Having correct observations is not being near the ledge.

Frankly (pun intended) we played like I thought we would play.

But the reality is we aren't a relevant program.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I agree this year is a large disappointment for me, but I had hoped brewer could be a place filler until one of the freshman take over in 2015 and did not expect we would get slammed with injuries as badly as we have. Look at the roster, we currently one of the very young teams out there, that's a fact, not a cliché

With the talent we have, we fix the QB issues and we have a better team in 2015. If not then 80 can continue his fire everyone in sight rantings weekly. Beamer is not going anywhere, just signed an extension and will leave on his own terms. And he still knows how to win games..... the first lesson is do not fumble three series in a row I am guessing, the next is don't get hurt (our RB's, LB's, secondary, etc)
BigDave wrote:
How many of Akron's players would start for even our depleted team? Somehow they beat Pitt.

We used to mock Algroh for being a "young team" every year. You have who you have - you still need to beat the bad teams and at least put on a respectable show against the good teams. We have done neither, apart from the tOSU game and most of the UNC game.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

hokie80 wrote:

That's the problem. The Stiney/OC debacle cast a mold that hurt our recruiting. We had become a repository of wasted talent like Penn State had under Paterno. Big expectations every year that resulted in disappointing losses against teams we should've beaten. That's my take anyway.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
hokie80 wrote:

That's the problem. The Stiney/OC debacle cast a mold that hurt our recruiting. We had become a repository of wasted talent like Penn State had under Paterno. Big expectations every year that resulted in disappointing losses against teams we should've beaten. That's my take anyway.
I wonder who was really the wasted talent. I see a lot of guys in the NFL. True, maybe Sean Glennon would have gotten a better shot than 4th on the Vikings depth chart, but a lot of guys play on Sunday.

Now, I could see a dad not wanting his son to play QB for VT. He would be running for his life at times.

I do acknowledge that the drop off in talent has been huge. After Boykin, Coale, and David Wilson left, there has been no one close to these guys in terms of playmakers. Maybe, just maybe, the good ole boy club just got too lazy. Maybe they stopped trying as hard as it takes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
hokie80 wrote:

I wonder who was really the wasted talent. I see a lot of guys in the NFL. True, maybe Sean Glennon would have gotten a better shot than 4th on the Vikings depth chart, but a lot of guys play on Sunday.

Now, I could see a dad not wanting his son to play QB for VT. He would be running for his life at times.

I do acknowledge that the drop off in talent has been huge. After Boykin, Coale, and David Wilson left, there has been no one close to these guys in terms of playmakers. Maybe, just maybe, the good ole boy club just got too lazy. Maybe they stopped trying as hard as it takes.

We've had some top notch skill level talent that was wasted on kinder care OC schemes and play calling/game management. That was my point really. Not saying we would've won the MNC, but we didn't utilize the talent we had effectively.

Most of these kids want to play in the NFL, but they also want to play for a winner.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Cpt Jagdish
Party: None of the above

Post by Cpt Jagdish »

cwtcr, I'm with you that the pitchfork crowds are usually shortsighted but it's not as if this was a surprising season that just went down the shitter. This is a program that has been mediocre for some time, yes even during some of those vaunted 10 win seasons. Folks that weren't wearing orange and maroon glasses could see it coming. The CFB apologists will just trout out tired lines of other mediocre programs "we're a young team", "we only need a competent QB", "we replaced our (x-coach) only (y) years ago, the (z) position players will soon get better", etc...

It's just time for a change, that's what most sane fans realize. Will it be for the good? No idea, possibly? We already know what we're gonna get with FB. I don't care that he just signed an extension, I hope he has the fortitude to realize that he should put in place the pieces to pass the torch.

I've already subjected myself to the fact that Beamer wont retire until after the Bristol game, that will be his swan song. Until then, the program won't get a dime from me which is a shame (and not much to begin with, so it won't be missed).
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieJoe wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
hokie80 wrote:

We've had some top notch skill level talent that was wasted on kinder care OC schemes and play calling/game management. That was my point really. Not saying we would've won the MNC, but we didn't utilize the talent we had effectively. I think that hurt recruiting. Maybe what you say is true as well.

Most of these kids want to play in the NFL, but they also want to play for a winner.