Ballgame.

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Ballgame.

Post by hokie80 »

Time to retire Frank. Time to retire.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Ballgame.

Post by nolanvt »

hokie80 wrote:Time to retire Frank. Time to retire.
I agree. With the program's resources relative to its competition, this team should never be 4-5. Ever.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

That's on foster.

They were not going to pass in that situation. An incomplete pass would stop the clock.

Quarterback had an empty backfield, and tech can't defend running quarterbacks. Gee, I wonder what they'll do.

Stupid, very stupid.

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Never seen such time management. After the TD, there should've been about 45-50 seconds or so left in this game.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

oaktonhokie wrote:That's on foster.

They were not going to pass in that situation. An incomplete pass would stop the clock.

Quarterback had an empty backfield, and tech can't defend running quarterbacks. Gee, I wonder what they'll do.

Stupid, very stupid.

It's on all the coaching staff. Frank is the CEO and his company is awful. Time to change.

Seriously folks, Frank isn't that great of a coach. He's relied on feasting on bad teams and living in a bad conference (big East and now the ACC).
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

nolanvt wrote:Never seen such time management. After the TD, there should've been about 45-50 seconds or so left in this game.
Frank and clock management is an oxymoron. He's always been awful at it.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

C'mon 80.

The team stinks. Yup.
Frank is past his prime. Yup.

And yes, I think it's time for a change.

But really, I don't see how to blame beamer for this loss. Who called the fake punt?

And frankly, to suggest that beamer has only or primarily feasted on soft schedules and a weak conference is unfair.

He took us from nowhere to somewhere. He has been a great coach and a great part of our university.

I see no reason to diminish his past and his accomplishments because the team stinks today.

Maybe, ease up a bit?

hokie80 wrote:

Stupid, very stupid.

It's on all the coaching staff. Frank is the CEO and his company is awful. Time to change.

Seriously folks, Frank isn't that great of a coach. He's relied on feasting on bad teams and living in a bad conference (big East and now the ACC).
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:C'mon 80.

The team stinks. Yup.
Frank is past his prime. Yup.

And yes, I think it's time for a change.

But really, I don't see how to blame beamer for this loss. Who called the fake punt?

And frankly, to suggest that beamer has only or primarily feasted on soft schedules and a weak conference is unfair.

He took us from nowhere to somewhere. He has been a great coach and a great part of our university.

I see no reason to diminish his past and his accomplishments because the team stinks today.

Maybe, ease up a bit?

hokie80 wrote:

Stupid, very stupid.

Disagree, oak. When you are a CEO of a major entity making seven figures, I wouldn't "ease up" based on past accomplishments. The good 'ole boy network probably thinks Beamer should retire when he's ready to retire, but I say Whit should play internal politics to get Beamer to retire as quickly as possible (because an outright firing would look bad).
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote: but I say Whit should play internal politics to get Beamer to retire as quickly as possible (because an outright firing would look bad).
Several posters on TSL claiming to have inside knowledge say this is happening. I hope its true because I think its time for Beamer to retire. I thank him for all he's done for VT, but its time. And I'm not going to feel sorry for a guy making millions of dollars a year if he gets pushed out the door. He'll be able to live a very comfortable and happy life after he's done with coaching.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote: but I say Whit should play internal politics to get Beamer to retire as quickly as possible (because an outright firing would look bad).
Several posters on TSL claiming to have inside knowledge say this is happening. I hope its true because I think its time for Beamer to retire. I thank him for all he's done for VT, but its time. And I'm not going to feel sorry for a guy making millions of dollars a year if he gets pushed out the door. He'll be able to live a very comfortable and happy life after he's done with coaching.
I'm not buying Richt as the next HC, but I'm pretty sure phone calls to gauge his interest (and others) has happened. In addition to having a new university President, Whit has a very unhappy fanbase (and probably donors, as well). I think he has the leverage to "Don Nehlen" Beamer's way into retirement if he finds a qualified replacement.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Anyone know who @hokie5284 is on Twitter? He is Mr rumor right now on Twiiter on SL fighting with Bud among many other things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
I'm not buying Richt as the next HC, but I'm pretty sure phone calls to gauge his interest (and others) has happened. In addition to having a new university President, Whit has a very unhappy fanbase (and probably donors, as well). I think he has the leverage to "Don Nehlen" Beamer's way into retirement if he finds a qualified replacement.
Richt is a great recruiter but as bad a game day coach as Frank.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I think we get it 80...... hilarious that you guys want to fire the O staff, Our OL coach has been here less than a year, SL two years? Reality bud, we are badly injured, we are playing a lot of youth and the future is bright. AS for the coaches, we don't drop the kickoff (even in pee wee league you are told not to try and pick it up and run, JUST FALL ON IT!!!!) but if we don't drop the kickoff and we don't get a FG blocked we win the game... period! I cannot fathom how you blame that on the coaches, we have what we have to work with this year and yes we have some big issues. With the QB's coming on in 2015 the future is bright tho, sorry you cannot see that

now go on your I am an idiot and fire everyone in sight rant.....psstt... frank just signed an extension, he will be your coach barring health reasons for prob. the next two years....so instead of a coronary, try and relax
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:I think we get it 80...... hilarious that you guys want to fire the O staff, Our OL coach has been here less than a year, SL two years? Reality bud, we are badly injured, we are playing a lot of youth and the future is bright. AS for the coaches, we don't drop the kickoff (even in pee wee league you are told not to try and pick it up and run, JUST FALL ON IT!!!!) but if we don't drop the kickoff and we don't get a FG blocked we win the game... period! I cannot fathom how you blame that on the coaches, we have what we have to work with this year and yes we have some big issues. With the QB's coming on in 2015 the future is bright tho, sorry you cannot see that

now go on your I am an idiot and fire everyone in sight rant.....psstt... frank just signed an extension, he will be your coach barring health reasons for prob. the next two years....so instead of a coronary, try and relax
If you take out the events of the game...
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

The extension is window dressing to ensure recruiting continues. I haven't read it but someone who had, on TSL, said the guaranteed money is only $250k. Hence, it is not expensive to say adios to CFB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

Well as I mentioned last night on ToB if anyone had told me that CFB and The Visor would both be 4-5 at this juncture of the season I would have laid good $ against it.

It just goes to show that some of the all time greats are not as great anymore.

If I had my druthers at a new HC I would give a hard long look at Hank Norton. ;) Many of the more successful FCS coaches are old farts even older than me. :p Seriously I would think somebody like Rich Rod or Richt are not good fit but someone like Tony Levine at Houston I believe would very good...an interesting choice with quite a bit of ACC experience is Dean Hood over at Eastern Kentucky.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Major Kong wrote:Well as I mentioned last night on ToB if anyone had told me that CFB and The Visor would both be 4-5 at this juncture of the season I would have laid good $ against it.

It just goes to show that some of the all time greats are not as great anymore.

If I had my druthers at a new HC I would give a hard long look at Hank Norton. ;) Many of the more successful FCS coaches are old farts even older than me. :p Seriously I would think somebody like Rich Rod or Richt are not good fit but someone like Tony Levine at Houston I believe would very good...an interesting choice with quite a bit of ACC experience is Dean Hood over at Eastern Kentucky.
I like your approach with the FCS route. Coaches on that level have experience running a program and tend to be more motivated than retreads who have made their money.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

nolanvt wrote:I like your approach with the FCS route. Coaches on that level have experience running a program and tend to be more motivated than retreads who have made their money.
Yup.

CFB came from Murray State (his only HC experience) before coming back home...his mentor was Mike Gottfried.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Major Kong wrote:
nolanvt wrote:I like your approach with the FCS route. Coaches on that level have experience running a program and tend to be more motivated than retreads who have made their money.
Yup.

CFB came from Murray State (his only HC experience) before coming back home...his mentor was Mike Gottfried.
Yup. Plenty of good coaches got their start in the lower levels. I know Whit is a dealer who could get a name coach if he wanted, but I wouldn't rule out a good candidate from FCS.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

nolanvt wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
Yup.

Yup. Plenty of good coaches got their start in the lower levels. I know Whit is a dealer who could get a name coach if he wanted, but I wouldn't rule out a good candidate from FCS.

Agreed.

Although I think you have to have more of a name just from a recruiting standpoint. However, if you get someone in that can attract top talent based on scheme (especially on offense), it could work out.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

We have some issues this year, funny thing we all know back in January that we either had Leal, who has yet to prove he can beat anybody out at practice or a true fr playing QB this year, then Brewer came along and everyone prayed that he would be special, it turns out our hope was wrong, Brewer transferred for a reason, we see why now. Add in our injury issues and all the fr/soph players we have starting and yeh, it is a tough year.

But it is getting to be good comedy to see the 80 meltdowns in each loss and the TSL hilarity that follows each loss...... Beamer has not forgotten how to win and sorry but any coach would have issues getting a 10 win team out of this season. If we had not been hit so hard with injuries I think this season could have turned out much differently but sometimes ya just get hit.... that is not a fault of the coaches. And yes I don't think our coaches are perfect and yes they do screw up but we have a good set of coaches. The folks on the TSL board already want to fire our OL coach.... he has been here for 8 months!!!

They also claim that we have to start over (balogney, we have ton of young talent right now) and that it would take years for a new staff to even get us over .500 but then want to fire Loeffler and Searles and they have not been here 2 years yet....... yea, that makes sense. We will be firing coaches every year or two, sure fire plan to "fix" the program. hilarious
nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:I think we get it 80...... hilarious that you guys want to fire the O staff, Our OL coach has been here less than a year, SL two years? Reality bud, we are badly injured, we are playing a lot of youth and the future is bright. AS for the coaches, we don't drop the kickoff (even in pee wee league you are told not to try and pick it up and run, JUST FALL ON IT!!!!) but if we don't drop the kickoff and we don't get a FG blocked we win the game... period! I cannot fathom how you blame that on the coaches, we have what we have to work with this year and yes we have some big issues. With the QB's coming on in 2015 the future is bright tho, sorry you cannot see that

hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:We have some issues this year, funny thing we all know back in January that we either had Leal, who has yet to prove he can beat anybody out at practice or a true fr playing QB this year, then Brewer came along and everyone prayed that he would be special, it turns out our hope was wrong, Brewer transferred for a reason, we see why now. Add in our injury issues and all the fr/soph players we have starting and yeh, it is a tough year.

But it is getting to be good comedy to see the 80 meltdowns in each loss and the TSL hilarity that follows each loss...... Beamer has not forgotten how to win and sorry but any coach would have issues getting a 10 win team out of this season. If we had not been hit so hard with injuries I think this season could have turned out much differently but sometimes ya just get hit.... that is not a fault of the coaches. And yes I don't think our coaches are perfect and yes they do screw up but we have a good set of coaches. The folks on the TSL board already want to fire our OL coach.... he has been here for 8 months!!!

They also claim that we have to start over (balogney, we have ton of young talent right now) and that it would take years for a new staff to even get us over .500 but then want to fire Loeffler and Searles and they have not been here 2 years yet....... yea, that makes sense. We will be firing coaches every year or two, sure fire plan to "fix" the program. hilarious
nolanvt wrote:

The comedy is your inability to see trends and underlying issues.

The comedy is your railing against Jimbo Fisher for have a couple of transition years and using that as your logic for programs shouldn't fire coaches. Of course, you went silent after he won the MNC.

The comedy is you parroting the "10 wins" meme (when it existed)

The comedy is your always buying into the "it's the O-line"...it's the lack of a QB'..."it's a lack of....".

See, I actually care about the PROGRAM. I want to see it succeed and attain higher levels. We aren't and haven't been seeing that.

No, we aren;t going to get all the 5 stars that Bama gets. But we should at least get some of them...especially in our own state.
UberHOKIE
Alma Mater: Cambridge
Party: I tread on thee

Post by UberHOKIE »

nah. All programs have their ups and downs. We are in a short decline due to past recruiting, youth and injuries.
And what resources? The UT women's programs bring in about the same revenue as all of ours. Our stadium doesn't hold six figures and traditionally our large donors are old money and engineers are notorious for being frugal.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

UberHOKIE wrote:nah. All programs have their ups and downs. We are in a short decline due to past recruiting, youth and injuries.
And what resources? The UT women's programs bring in about the same revenue as all of ours. Our stadium doesn't hold six figures and traditionally our large donors are old money and engineers are notorious for being frugal.
FSU was down. Then they got rid of "hall of fame" coach and got better.

Auburn we down (2 years) and got rid of a MNC winning coach and immediately got better (with basically the same players). BTW - they went form have the worst offense in the SEC (under Loffler) to one of the best the following year under the new HC and OC.

Stiney was bad. Frank managed to replace him with someone who is as bad if not worse.

Frank brought us to a level and has now declined over the years. IIWII.

I truly think we have the facilities and $$$$ to be at least a top ACC program (compete against FSU and Clemson) without question IF we had a new focus and leadership. VT can be a destination job for the right person. And we can get back to some level of national prominence on a more regular basis.

No. We aren't going to get a Nick Saban. But I thin Whit is VERY savvy and can lead us to better outcomes.

I think some on here short sell what this program CAN be ad are willing to just accept being mediocre and in bad conference.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

If the program was in decline we would not have all the young talent we have, but keep freaking out, it is funny. I have no problem with coaching changes, what beamer did the last few years was a good idea but as for Beamer I think he is a good coach and knows how to win and run a program, sorry you disagree. I do know you will never be happy with VT tho, you never have and will never be. I just enjoy the games and talking football, I don't think I know how to "fix" it, you do. Why are you not a big time college football coach, you have all the answers?????
hokie80 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:We have some issues this year, funny thing we all know back in January that we either had Leal, who has yet to prove he can beat anybody out at practice or a true fr playing QB this year, then Brewer came along and everyone prayed that he would be special, it turns out our hope was wrong, Brewer transferred for a reason, we see why now. Add in our injury issues and all the fr/soph players we have starting and yeh, it is a tough year.

nolanvt wrote:

The comedy is your inability to see trends and underlying issues.

The comedy is your railing against Jimbo Fisher for have a couple of transition years and using that as your logic for programs shouldn't fire coaches. Of course, you went silent after he won the MNC.

The comedy is you parroting the "10 wins" meme (when it existed)

The comedy is your always buying into the "it's the O-line"...it's the lack of a QB'..."it's a lack of....".

See, I actually care about the PROGRAM. I want to see it succeed and attain higher levels. We aren't and haven't been seeing that.

No, we aren;t going to get all the 5 stars that Bama gets. But we should at least get some of them...especially in our own state.