The decline of our football team. With 20-20 hidsight.

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
oaktonhokie

The decline of our football team. With 20-20 hidsight.

Post by oaktonhokie »

In about 1999 or 2000, we had climbed the ladder to one rung below the elites.

The championship game in 2000, the electric Michael vick (still the best college player I ever saw), great wins over a then solid Miami team, and all the exposure on Thursday nights....

One more step.

The problem was the early season and the post season.

We were given multiple chances to take that last step up with early season games against USC, Boise State, LSU (ouch), Alabama.
Loss, loss, thumping, loss.

On the big stage, with everyone watching, we choked. I use choke advisedly, as just losing would not cover being 0-4.

Then, to make matters worse, our bowl games were a joke. I still think beamer looked at these as a nice reward and vacation for the team after a nice season. We stink in bowl games.

Stink.

Who did we beat, Louisville and cincinatti?

AND WE LOST TO xxxxING KANSAS! And a declining Michigan team (spare me the excuses).

Throw in a couple losses to the likes of jmu, and no one considers us "one step away" any more. Not the media, not the conferences and not the recruits.

Not the recruits.

I kinda saw this coming after the boise state loss. ANOTHER prime time loss to a beatable opponent.

Tantalus was allowed to sniff the feast. But he never got invited to the table.

You only get so many chances. We had plenty.

That part of our history is over. Time to rebuild, start over.

Did I mention we lost to xxxxING KANSAS?
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: The decline of our football team. With 20-20 hidsight.

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:In about 1999 or 2000, we had climbed the ladder to one rung below the elites.

The championship game in 2000, the electric Michael vick (still the best college player I ever saw), great wins over a then solid Miami team, and all the exposure on Thursday nights....

One more step.

We were given multiple chances to take that last step up with early season games against USC, Boise State, LSU (ouch), Alabama.

On the big stage, with everyone watching, we choked. I use choke advisedly, as just losing would not cover being 0-4.

Then, to make matters worse, our bowl games were a joke. I still think beamer looked at these as a nice reward and vacation for the team after a nice season. We stink in bowl games.

Stink.

AND WE LOST TO xxxxING KANSAS! And a declining Michigan team (spare me the excuses).

Throw in a couple losses to the likes of jmu, and no one considers us "one step away" any more. Not the media, not the conferences and not the recruits.

Not the recruits.

I kinda saw this coming after the boise state loss. ANOTHER prime time loss to a beatable opponent.

I wouldn't short that Michigan team. That was basically Rich Rod's team and thought they were pretty good.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

We are now irrelevant on the national scene.

Our "big win" against a cruddy uva team go no more attention than a game between Washington and Washington state.

Yay, we can play marshall, or someone at that level, in the Depends Seniors' Underwear Bowl.

Or something.

nolanvt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:In about 1999 or 2000, we had climbed the ladder to one rung below the elites.

One more step.

Stink.

Not the recruits.

I wouldn't short that Michigan team. That was basically Rich Rod's team and thought they were pretty good.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

nolanvt wrote:I wouldn't short that Michigan team. That was basically Rich Rod's team and thought they were pretty good.
That was an awful Michigan team we lost to and the loss was all coaching.

We ran stupid trick plays and lost, despite outgaining and outplaying Michigan big time.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

BigDave wrote:
nolanvt wrote:I wouldn't short that Michigan team. That was basically Rich Rod's team and thought they were pretty good.

We ran stupid trick plays and lost, despite outgaining and outplaying Michigan big time.
That Michigan team went 11-2 and finished in the Top 10. Hardly awful.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

so our coaches told our RB to run 40 yards the wrong way when we were on the 5 yard line? who knew? and we actually made the catch and won the game!
BigDave wrote:

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

welcome to college fball, you rise and fall, happens to all teams. As for the hokies tho we have a ton of young talent, recruiting is going very well and the future is very bright.... but yes this year was disappointing, even tho we all knew back in January that we had a QB issue and yes we hoped a transfer could be great (he was not) and not sure anybody saw the long list of injuries we piled up.... fyi, any team except bama would struggle with the amount of injuries we had this year.
oaktonhokie wrote:We are now irrelevant on the national scene.

Our "big win" against a cruddy uva team go no more attention than a game between Washington and Washington state.

Yay, we can play marshall, or someone at that level, in the Depends Seniors' Underwear Bowl.

Or something.

nolanvt wrote:

One more step.

Stink.

Not the recruits.

BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

nolanvt wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Yes, awful. It was a down year for the Big 10. The entire conference was awful - it's kinda like the ACC this year. Someone (GT) is bound to win a lot of games, but that doesn't make them a really good team.

We completely dominated the game everywhere but the scoreboard ... because Beamer outcoached himself. I'm not one of the crazies shouting "fire Beamer" every time we have an incomplete pass ... but that particular loss was all coaching.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

BigDave wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Yes, awful. It was a down year for the Big 10. The entire conference was awful - it's kinda like the ACC this year. Someone (GT) is bound to win a lot of games, but that doesn't make them a really good team.

We completely dominated the game everywhere but the scoreboard ... because Beamer outcoached himself. I'm not one of the crazies shouting "fire Beamer" every time we have an incomplete pass ... but that particular loss was all coaching.
I mean. It's more than fair to say that Michigan team wasn't elite, but they were at worst a Top 15-20 team, which is a good team in college football. If they had good coaching to compliment the talent that Rich Rod had built up, they could've been a borderline elite team - got outcoached in the Mich St game and would've had the talent to compete against Wisconsin in the Big (whatever) Championship Game.