Oh oh - Mike London gets dreaded vote of confidence

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Oh oh - Mike London gets dreaded vote of confidence

Post by BigDave »

Mike London in The Matrix.jpg
Mike London in The Matrix.jpg (6.91 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierin ... 0f31a.html

Virginia football coach Mike London received a strong vote of confidence from his boss on Sunday, less than 24 hours after the Cavaliers’ poor showing in a 48-27 home loss to Ball State.

Favored by a touchdown, Virginia lost a 17-7 lead in the game to the 5-1 unranked Cardinals. Afterward, London described the outcome as “embarrassing.” In the wake of the collapse, dropping his Cavaliers to 2-3 on the season, scores of frustrated fans were calling for London’s job.

Craig Littlepage, UVa’s longtime director of athletics, said Sunday that London’s job is not in jeopardy and asked fans to be patient as the football program attempts to rebuild.

“Uncertainty can be a distraction and erodes confidence,” Littlepage said about his decision to squelch any rumors about London’s job status. “I don’t want for there to be uncertainty about our coach.

“Mike London is our head coach and he has my full support in our efforts to build this football program,” Littlepage said. “This is sometimes a longer and more difficult process than we want and will have ups and downs, but I know Mike is the right guy.”

London is in his fourth season as UVa’s head coach and owns a record of 18-24 to this point, including an 8-5 mark and a bowl appearance in 2011. Following a setback during last season’s 4-8 campaign, London made several staff changes to begin a rebuilding process, bringing in three new coordinators and veteran former head coach Tom O’Brien.

Littlepage pointed out that with new coordinators and new systems in place to build the program for the future, that such a transition doesn’t usually show progress overnight.

“Mike has made some important staff changes prior to this season and has surrounded himself with an outstanding group of coaches,” the AD said. “Our progress on the field this year has not been as consistent or as fast as we would like in some areas, however, what I see is a full commitment each day by the players, and the coaching and support staffs to work toward being a championship-level team. That’s our goal and we won’t compromise on that.”

While Virginia had made strides in defensive performance under new coordinator Jon Tenuta in previous weeks and showed signs of life with 27 points and 459 yards of total offense under new coordinator Steve Fairchild, there has been inconsistency as Littlepage pointed out.

In back-to-back losses to Pittsburgh and Ball State, the Cavaliers were plagued with turnovers and penalties that led directly to both defeats in what was perceived as winnable games. Thus, a frustrated fan base that has endured four losing seasons over the last five years, has lashed out mostly against London and Fairchild on social media.

“The issues we’ve had in recent games are correctable,” Littlepage said. “At this level, the most successful teams win the turnover battle and minimize penalties among other things. The difference between a good play or a bad play, a touchdown or a penalty, a win or a loss, usually comes down to execution and eliminating mental errors.

“We continue to work hard each day on the things that build the consistency on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball,” Littlepage said. “It’s difficult to not be further along after five games but I know our patience will pay off.”

London’s Cavaliers play Saturday at formerly 25th-ranked Maryland (4-1), which suffered its first loss of the season, a 63-0 setback at Florida State.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Hokie5150

Re: Oh oh - Mike London gets dreaded vote of confidence

Post by Hokie5150 »

Did you happen to see the attendance for their game Saturday? It was in the neighborhood of 38,500...if those numbers remain, all the confidence in the world won't save London's job.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Hokie5150 wrote:Did you happen to see the attendance for their game Saturday? It was in the neighborhood of 38,500...if those numbers remain, all the confidence in the world won't save London's job.
That's a crying shame. :P
Stolen from Le Sabre
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

[quote="BigDave"]

[quote]

Makes me smile....he is no CFB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

the rumor out there this morning is they are going after Phil Fulmer, hope they get him, hilarity to ensue
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Makes me smile....he is no CFB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

cwtcr hokie wrote:the rumor out there this morning is they are going after Phil Fulmer, hope they get him, hilarity to ensue
Will UVA have to add a new BS in Chair Stacking to get Fulmer to take the job?
Major Kong

Nah Phat Phil...

Post by Major Kong »

BigDave

Re: Nah Phat Phil...

Post by BigDave »

“They’re not necessarily going to be Virginia Tech or Tennessee in three years,” Fulmer said. “Nobody should expect that. But we can be a viable program in four or five years and make it exciting for the students, make it exciting for the community and make a difference in this university.”
Should I read anything into it that he mentions Virginia Tech before his own (former) school?
Major Kong

Re: Nah Phat Phil...

Post by Major Kong »

BigDave wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
“They’re not necessarily going to be Virginia Tech or Tennessee in three years,” Fulmer said. “Nobody should expect that. But we can be a viable program in four or five years and make it exciting for the students, make it exciting for the community and make a difference in this university.”
Should I read anything into it that he mentions Virginia Tech before his own (former) school?
The quote caused a minor uproar down here in SWVA/East Tennessee when he made it. I think it was the Johnson City Press that called it a backhanded slap to UT to place the Hokies over the Vols. Phil never said one way or the other.

My wife is an ETSU alumni (hell I got a 1yr extended studies certificate in Public & Allied Health from ETSU while working for the USPHSCC-EHO) so we get the University newsletter and I'm down in Johnson City at Mountain Home VA Center every 2-3 months. There is some excitement that Phil and Carl Torbush (who was hired as HC) have carved out in the area.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
The quote caused a minor uproar down here in SWVA/East Tennessee when he made it. I think it was the Johnson City Press that called it a backhanded slap to UT to place the Hokies over the Vols. Phil never said one way or the other.

My wife is an ETSU alumni (hell I got a 1yr extended studies certificate in Public & Allied Health from ETSU while working for the USPHSCC-EHO) so we get the University newsletter and I'm down in Johnson City at Mountain Home VA Center every 2-3 months. There is some excitement that Phil and Carl Torbush (who was hired as HC) have carved out in the area.

What quote?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:What quote?

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:What quote?
Priceless
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.