United We Stand - uwsboard.com

Virginia Tech fans discussing politics, religion, and football
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]

UWS DWF UWS Lunch UWS Sports UWS Help TSL Football TSL Lounge TSL MBB Acronyms Top 25 Topics

Post subject: Notifications
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:35 pm 

Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party
Big Dave,

On Tapatalk, the Notifications aren't working anymore. Anyone else have this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Notifications
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:25 pm 

Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Big Dave,

When did they stop working? We're a few versions off from the latest version and honestly I'm skiddish about doing the upgrade until I have plenty of time for if something goes wrong. I started out to apply it one day and it said that I needed to put the latest phpbb3 on here first.

No problem I thought, but then everything crashed badly.

Add-ins on phpbb3 don't work like they do on Wordpress, I found out. On Wordpress, an add-in essentially overrides a function of the CMS. So if Wordpress has a function called "PrintStuff", you can create your own "PrintStuff" function and then your's gets called instead of the Wordpress one. Not so with phpbb3. With phpbb3, add-ins modify the actual phpbb3 code files. So then when you do an update, you're obliterating your add-in-modified files with original ones. But then if your add-in has something, like, say, a function call in a master include file to a function that no longer exists, then your entire site crashes when you do the upgrade. So you essentially have to uninstall all of your add-ins, do the upgrade, then reinstall them.

So I haven't wanted to tempt fate with upgrading Tapatalk until I can do it late night and have plenty of time (no work the next morning) in case something goes wrong.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:32 pm 

Party: After 10
BigDave wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Big Dave,

When did they stop working? We're a few versions off from the latest version and honestly I'm skiddish about doing the upgrade until I have plenty of time for if something goes wrong. I started out to apply it one day and it said that I needed to put the latest phpbb3 on here first.

Add-ins on phpbb3 don't work like they do on Wordpress, I found out. On Wordpress, an add-in essentially overrides a function of the CMS. So if Wordpress has a function called "PrintStuff", you can create your own "PrintStuff" function and then your's gets called instead of the Wordpress one. Not so with phpbb3. With phpbb3, add-ins modify the actual phpbb3 code files. So then when you do an update, you're obliterating your add-in-modified files with original ones. But then if your add-in has something, like, say, a function call in a master include file to a function that no longer exists, then your entire site crashes when you do the upgrade. So you essentially have to uninstall all of your add-ins, do the upgrade, then reinstall them.

So I haven't wanted to tempt fate with upgrading Tapatalk until I can do it late night and have plenty of time (no work the next morning) in case something goes wrong.

What a nightmare

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:20 am 

Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican
awesome guy wrote:
What a nightmare

Yeah, I was dumbfounded when I saw how it works. The add-in that completely crashed the site was the one that handles timezones correctly. So I had to go in and remove where it was calling some function (which no longer exists) from a config file. Then, once that was done, the site would load, but not display properly because the add-in was half there.

So I uninstalled the add-in and it wasn't able to do it automatically because the search/replace that it was trying to do failed (since what it was searching for to remove itself had already been removed by virtue of me upgrading). So it brought up a screen showing me all of the search/replaces it was trying to do. I was stunned that phpbb3 add-ins work like that.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:28 am 

Party: After 10
BigDave wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
What a nightmare

Yeah, I was dumbfounded when I saw how it works. The add-in that completely crashed the site was the one that handles timezones correctly. So I had to go in and remove where it was calling some function (which no longer exists) from a config file. Then, once that was done, the site would load, but not display properly because the add-in was half there.

So I uninstalled the add-in and it wasn't able to do it automatically because the search/replace that it was trying to do failed (since what it was searching for to remove itself had already been removed by virtue of me upgrading). So it brought up a screen showing me all of the search/replaces it was trying to do. I was stunned that phpbb3 add-ins work like that.

not really an ad-in, more like a an overwrite.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:38 am 

Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party
BigDave wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Big Dave,

Prolly stopped working a month ago, but that's a bit of a guess.

Report this post

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: