How bad will we be this yr?

Football (of the American variety), Roundball, Parrises Squares, Fizzbin, Quidditch, and Calvinball. Sponsored by ESPN8 - the Ocho. If it's almost a sport, we've got it here.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I'm seeing Mandel calling us the most overlooked, etc.

What I'm not seeing is confidence in our OL, nor our D's ability to stop an attack like BC's last yr w/ Tyler Murphy, nor Miami's. Old VT used to swallow up a power run game. Now, we get run over and do better against finesse passers.

I'm tired of being Charlie Brown with Lucy holding the ball before the season.

5 losses?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
cwtcr hokie

Re: How bad will we be this yr?

Post by cwtcr hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:I'm seeing Mandel calling us the most overlooked, etc.

What I'm not seeing is confidence in our OL, nor our D's ability to stop an attack like BC's last yr w/ Tyler Murphy, nor Miami's. Old VT used to swallow up a power run game. Now, we get run over and do better against finesse passers.

5 losses?
We are in better shape on OL than we have been for years and we are LOADED at skill players and per everybody we have the one of the best defenses in the nation. This year will be good, 5 losses I do not see. I think we play the noles in the acccg myself
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

5 losses?
We are in better shape on OL than we have been for years and we are LOADED at skill players and per everybody we have the one of the best defenses in the nation. This year will be good, 5 losses I do not see. I think we play the noles in the acccg myself
We better get our licks in now given the coming recruiting fallout from Bud's rant.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

5 losses?
Yeah, 8-5 or 9-4 after the bowl game. Those are probably the most likely records. I think we will be better and more consistently good to great on defense than last year and more consistently mediocre to decent on offense.

Last year, we went 3-5 in the ACC, we should reverse that and go about 5-3 in conference.

We'll lose to Ohio St. most likely (90 - 95% chance we lose). So, I'll guess 8-4 heading into a bowl game with a bowl loss to finish 8-5.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:

5 losses?
Yeah, 8-5 or 9-4 after the bowl game. Those are probably the most likely records. I think we will be better and more consistently good to great on defense than last year and more consistently mediocre to decent on offense.

Last year, we went 3-5 in the ACC, we should reverse that and go about 5-3 in conference.

We'll lose to Ohio St. most likely (90 - 95% chance we lose). So, I'll guess 8-4 heading into a bowl game with a bowl loss to finish 8-5.
many analysts are saying we win the acc this year, we have a great defense and remember we had lots of injuries toward the end of last year, those guys are back so I think your loss total is high, and our schedule beside OSU is not daunting.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I feel pretty good about Brewer this year....maybe I am too optimistic but I have a feeling he has a great year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
burgrugby
Alma Mater: Hokie through and through
Party: Indy - leaning pub

Post by burgrugby »

I think injuries are the biggest unknown. I don't like our depth. If we stay healthy, I think we can have a good year. If we start to lose some players to injury, we're in for another long season.

5 losses?
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:We are in better shape on OL than we have been for years
That phrase is written every single year before the season starts. I stopped trusting Kyle Tucker's independence when he started believing that the o-line would be better - that gives you an idea of how long this has been said before the season starts. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me three times and you're officially a fan(atic).
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
That phrase is written every single year before the season starts. I stopped trusting Kyle Tucker's independence when he started believing that the o-line would be better - that gives you an idea of how long this has been said before the season starts. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me three times and you're officially a fan(atic).
based on the players we have now we are in better shape then we have been for a couple of years, now if we start getting all our RB's hurt again like last year and losing OL to injury then we will struggle (as do most teams). Remember, we finished the year with no RB's healthy, we got killed by injuries on both sides of the ball last year
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:

5 losses?

many analysts are saying we win the acc this year, we have a great defense and remember we had lots of injuries toward the end of last year, those guys are back so I think your loss total is high, and our schedule beside OSU is not daunting.
I think my predicted records are the ones with the highest probability. There is certainly a chance we can put together an ACC Coastal or even ACC championship season BUT I don't think most analysts are saying we win the ACC this year. Some are but most are predicting Clemson, GT, and FSU at a higher rate than VT. If you were to analyze the analysts we're trending 4th in that department, which is also reasonably consistent with an 8-4 record IMO.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:

5 losses?

I think my predicted records are the ones with the highest probability. There is certainly a chance we can put together an ACC Coastal or even ACC championship season BUT I don't think most analysts are saying we win the ACC this year. Some are but most are predicting Clemson, GT, and FSU at a higher rate than VT. If you were to analyze the analysts we're trending 4th in that department, which is also reasonably consistent with an 8-4 record IMO.
klempson has D issues and has lost for the season a couple of D players, FSU does not have a proven QB yet and lost some skill players, GT is getting their normal pre-season hype but IMO we have a better team than GT. We don't have to worry about the noles or Klempson unless we get to the accccg but we have a good team this year.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:

5 losses?

klempson has D issues and has lost for the season a couple of D players, FSU does not have a proven QB yet and lost some skill players, GT is getting their normal pre-season hype but IMO we have a better team than GT. We don't have to worry about the noles or Klempson unless we get to the accccg but we have a good team this year.
Sure, everyone has various weaknesses and areas of concern. We're no exception. I agree, we have a good team. 8-4 (my prediction for the regular season) is a good season.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

An 8-4 record is really lame when you consider the schedule.. Furman, Purdue, Va, NC St, ECU, UNC should be six wins. That means 2-4 against the six good teams. That would be sad. You could swap out Duke for anyone on that list if you disagree with any of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I feel pretty good about Brewer this year....maybe I am too optimistic but I have a feeling he has a great year.
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
based on the players we have now we are in better shape then we have been for a couple of years, now if we start getting all our RB's hurt again like last year and losing OL to injury then we will struggle (as do most teams). Remember, we finished the year with no RB's healthy, we got killed by injuries on both sides of the ball last year
But how deep are we? We will have injuries. Always do, always have. It seems to me VT is especially injury-prone when compared to some other programs. I imagine on OLman getting hurt, and then Beamer saying all year just how close we were...how the boys put out a great effort, just need to be consistent, and that ECU will really get after ya.
Salute the Marines
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

This was an interesting thread looking back. We already have 4 losses. UGGG.

We will be lucky to go 6-6.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I jinxed Brewer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk