Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Anyone familiar with #cut50?

Post by Florida Hokie »

http://www.cut50.org/

This is a truly bi-partisan effort led by Newt Gingrich and Van Jones. I've learned quite a bit about it lately and fully support what they are doing. In short, they want to reform the criminal justice system and reduce our incarcerated population by 50 percent over the next 10 years.

I encourage you to check out the information provided. How does UWS feel about this effort?
Attila T Hun

Re: Anyone familiar with #cut50?

Post by Attila T Hun »

LOL...Let the criminals run wild..What a liberal idea....And don't forget to give them a lot of free excrement.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Up yours FloHo.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

Our prisons have far too many non-violent offenders in them. Anyone who has served more than, I dunno... let's say, 18 months for a non-violent offense should probably be let go. Let's keep prisons for murderers and rapists... possession of a few grams of cocaine shouldn't get you a life sentence just because it's a 'third strike.'
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Florida Hokie wrote:http://www.cut50.org/

This is a truly bi-partisan effort led by Newt Gingrich and Van Jones. I've learned quite a bit about it lately and fully support what they are doing. In short, they want to reform the criminal justice system and reduce our incarcerated population by 50 percent over the next 10 years.

I encourage you to check out the information provided. How does UWS feel about this effort?
I believe we have a higher prison population per capita than China. That is an abomination in a supposed free country. Some of our laws are skewed against poor and minority people. That needs to change.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Hokie CPA wrote:Our prisons have far too many non-violent offenders in them. Anyone who has served more than, I dunno... let's say, 18 months for a non-violent offense should probably be let go. Let's keep prisons for murderers and rapists... possession of a few grams of cocaine shouldn't get you a life sentence just because it's a 'third strike.'
And crack cocaine, a form of Coke that is less pure shouldn't get you more time than the pure cocaine.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:Our prisons have far too many non-violent offenders in them. Anyone who has served more than, I dunno... let's say, 18 months for a non-violent offense should probably be let go. Let's keep prisons for murderers and rapists... possession of a few grams of cocaine shouldn't get you a life sentence just because it's a 'third strike.'
And crack cocaine, a form of Coke that is less pure shouldn't get you more time than the pure cocaine.
how about the idea of not breaking the laws as they are written??? anybody for more personal responsibility? anybody? bueller???
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Somehow I have managed to stay out of prison my whole 49 years, wonder how..... not breaking laws that get you into prison..... duh!!!!!!!!!!!

but lets be softer on folks that refuse to live by the laws we all have to live by....great idea
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
how about the idea of not breaking the laws as they are written??? anybody for more personal responsibility? anybody? bueller???
We should have less laws (less government) in a free society. We also shouldn't create laws that target certain groups. A higher prison population than China per capita is an embarrassment.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Written when and by whom (who?)? The ones written by politicians in the last 20 years to get elected and sound tough on crime?

By breaking the law should people be locked up for life? What if it is three petty crimes, does that makes sense to you? What if the law makes no sense? As usual, I think it is a little more nuanced.
People who know, know.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
I didn't say there should be no punishment, but it should fit the crime. Non-violent offenses should have minimal incarceration times, and that's only if a fine is wholly inappropriate. And drug laws should by and large be repealed
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

Attila T Hun wrote:LOL...Let the criminals run wild..What a liberal idea....And don't forget to give them a lot of free excrement.
That's not what the effort is about but if it is easier for you to think of it that way then ok.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:

I believe we have a higher prison population per capita than China. That is an abomination in a supposed free country. Some of our laws are skewed against poor and minority people. That needs to change.
Bingo
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
So the laws are perfect?
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Legalize drugs and prostitution. You can still enforce crimes associated with said activities (trafficking, theft, abuse, etc.), but the act itself should not be illegal.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Like it or not, I the reduction in crime over the last 20 years is directly proportional to the increased incarceration rates. I think there's an argument to be made that there is causation...at least to some degree.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Everything in this country is about money. The reason we have a lot of prisons is because you make a lot of money building and managing prisons.

The best lobbyists are able to create a buzz phrase for the average moron to support, like "War on Drugs". Then, to prove your support you vote for someone who supports the cliche...this politician then writes a blank check for those profiting from it in exchange for donations. Rinse, repeat.

Any time someone in Washington declares war on a windmill, cover your wallet. It's all about taking your money and redistributing it to the people who give them money. It's good business if you're in the middle of the funds flow.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

PS - Newt is a complete media whore and I don't trust anything he's doing to be about anything except Newt.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Everything in this country is about money. The reason we have a lot of prisons is because you make a lot of money building and managing prisons.

The best lobbyists are able to create a buzz phrase for the average moron to support, like "War on Drugs". Then, to prove your support you vote for someone who supports the cliche...this politician then writes a blank check for those profiting from it in exchange for donations. Rinse, repeat.

Any time someone in Washington declares war on a windmill, cover your wallet. It's all about taking your money and redistributing it to the people who give them money. It's good business if you're in the middle of the funds flow.
Yep. It's big business an has nothing to do with reform or protecting citizens.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Everything in this country is about money. The reason we have a lot of prisons is because you make a lot of money building and managing prisons.

I think it's a mistake to imply prison overpopulation = war on drugs. Van Jones doesn't want to just release non-violent pot heads caught with an ounce of weed - we're talking about releasing repeat, violent criminals in any conversation about reducing the prison population by 50%.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

I think it's a mistake to imply prison overpopulation = war on drugs. Van Jones doesn't want to just release non-violent pot heads caught with an ounce of weed - we're talking about releasing repeat, violent criminals in any conversation about reducing the prison population by 50%.
That's not a true statement. That's not what is being said at all.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

The next time cwtcr gets a speeding ticket, he should be sentenced to two years in jail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Bullshirt. Show how I'm wrong.

ETA: Yep, you're wrong:
Left mostly unsaid is that achieving the goal of this “Cut50” movement would entail touching what has long been a third-rail in criminal justice reform. To halve the prison population, sentencing would have to change not only for the so-called “non, non, nons” — non-violent, non-serious, and non-sex offender criminals — but also for some offenders convicted of violent crimes.

Simple math shows why violent offenders would have to be part of any serious attempt to halve the number of prisoners. Consider the nation’s largest incarcerated population, the 1,315,000 held in state prisons. Only 4 percent are there for drug possession. An additional 12 percent are incarcerated for drug sales, manufacturing, or trafficking. Eleven percent are there for public order offenses such as prostitution or drunk driving, and 19 percent for property crimes such as fraud and car theft, including some property crimes that many consider serious or violent, such as home invasion.

That leaves a full 54 percent of state prisoners who are incarcerated for violent crimes, including murder, kidnapping, manslaughter, rape, sexual assault, and armed robbery.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015 ... .1fJVPzF2i
This isn't about releasing hippies caught with an ounce of weed from prison.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

So, who here should I write down as supporting the release of violent criminals/sex offenders from prison? So far, I have:

1. OJ
2. Jared from Subway
3. Florida Hokie
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Bullshirt. Show how I'm wrong.

ETA: Yep, you're wrong:
Left mostly unsaid is that achieving the goal of this “Cut50” movement would entail touching what has long been a third-rail in criminal justice reform. To halve the prison population, sentencing would have to change not only for the so-called “non, non, nons” — non-violent, non-serious, and non-sex offender criminals — but also for some offenders convicted of violent crimes.

Simple math shows why violent offenders would have to be part of any serious attempt to halve the number of prisoners. Consider the nation’s largest incarcerated population, the 1,315,000 held in state prisons. Only 4 percent are there for drug possession. An additional 12 percent are incarcerated for drug sales, manufacturing, or trafficking. Eleven percent are there for public order offenses such as prostitution or drunk driving, and 19 percent for property crimes such as fraud and car theft, including some property crimes that many consider serious or violent, such as home invasion.

That leaves a full 54 percent of state prisoners who are incarcerated for violent crimes, including murder, kidnapping, manslaughter, rape, sexual assault, and armed robbery.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015 ... .1fJVPzF2i
This isn't about releasing hippies caught with an ounce of weed from prison.
From your article: "“We’re not heavily leaning into that part of the conversation yet, because there is so much common ground on the nonviolent offenders, the indigent population, and the mental health population. We think we can get some momentum going,” Jones said."

Just because 50% might not be possible should it not be pursued? I doubt you think that. I'm sure you would agree reform is a worthwhile discussion? At least I would hope so.