Left wing coordinated attack on "prayers" for San Bernardino

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieDan95

Left wing coordinated attack on "prayers" for San Bernardino

Post by HokieDan95 »

"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Re: Left wing coordinated attack on "prayers" for San Bernar

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Oh please. The left wing is not attacking prayers. They are attacking the idea that sending prayers and condolences, but refusing to have any kind of conversation on why this keeps happening or what can be done to reduce these occurrences... is useless.

Hey, I have an idea... How about we tell the left to STFU? Then we tell the right to STFU? Then we tell the NRA to STFU? Then we get law enforcement together and see what ideas they have?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Oh please. The left wing is not attacking prayers. They are attacking the idea that sending prayers and condolences, but refusing to have any kind of conversation on why this keeps happening or what can be done to reduce these occurrences... is useless.

Hey, I have an idea... How about we tell the left to STFU? Then we tell the right to STFU? Then we tell the NRA to STFU? Then we get law enforcement together and see what ideas they have?
That last part sounds like a good idea.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I love these people, WE HAVE A PROBLEM, MORE GUN CONTROL, ok, what more do you want to stop a sleeper terrorist cell that had faked a middle class life for years and bought his stuff legally and built his own bombs.....just exactly how would you stop that, the world would love to know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Oh please. The left wing is not attacking prayers. They are attacking the idea that sending prayers and condolences, but refusing to have any kind of conversation on why this keeps happening or what can be done to reduce these occurrences... is useless.

So to stop the larger killing events (not counting weekly in Chicago of course) you either have to be able to predict to the second when somebody that appears to go thru life in a pretty much normal state will either go nuts (CO shooter near the PP) or enact a pre-planned terrorist attack, San Bernadino.

PLease explain how you stop any of the mass type killings beside having the ability to shoot back as begging to live seems to be failing miserably.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
I love these people, WE HAVE A PROBLEM, MORE GUN CONTROL, ok, what more do you want to stop a sleeper terrorist cell that had faked a middle class life for years and bought his stuff legally and built his own bombs.....just exactly how would you stop that, the world would love to know.
I don't know the answer. You don't know the answer. But, with 300M people in the US, maybe someone can come up with something, right?
Certainly, someone can come up with something better than "Do nothing", "More guns!", "Less guns!", or "Just do something, whatever it is!".
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

refusing to have any kind of conversation on why this keeps happening
Lefitst policy, and not global warming.
Your turn.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
I don't know the answer. You don't know the answer. But, with 300M people in the US, maybe someone can come up with something, right?
Certainly, someone can come up with something better than "Do nothing", "More guns!", "Less guns!", or "Just do something, whatever it is!".
We have books of gun laws... not one nor any human on the planet can tell when another human will lose there crap and take out other humans or enact a pre-planned terrorist attack. IF so we prob. should have stopped the islamist folks from purposely driving planes into big buildings in NY and DC, right?

That's the point, no law will stop a terrorist cell that is living a fake middle class life from getting firearms, but if the terrorist go after a target that can defend itself, my guess is they think twice before trying or their damage is very minimal. The reality is the guns are already out in the USA, it is impossible to stop that now but considering countries that have gun bans still have gun violence that proves that plan fails also. Being able to fight back with something other than a chair, would be a great addition
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

They're not attacking prayers, they're attacking the idea of prayers? What kind of simpleton logic is that?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

The left have become masters at getting people to hate them and laugh at them. VOR is a pioneer in this regard. But geez, attacking the sincere and deeply held beliefs of the faithful is a one way ticket to irrelevance. Why do they think this type of crap is a good idea?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
We have books of gun laws... not one nor any human on the planet can tell when another human will lose there crap and take out other humans or enact a pre-planned terrorist attack. IF so we prob. should have stopped the islamist folks from purposely driving planes into big buildings in NY and DC, right?

That's the point, no law will stop a terrorist cell that is living a fake middle class life from getting firearms, but if the terrorist go after a target that can defend itself, my guess is they think twice before trying or their damage is very minimal. The reality is the guns are already out in the USA, it is impossible to stop that now but considering countries that have gun bans still have gun violence that proves that plan fails also. Being able to fight back with something other than a chair, would be a great addition
I specifically said that the idea of "Less guns" is not a solution. I also said didn't say we need new laws.
You're spouting the same "Do nothing" mantra we hear all the time. I'm not asking YOU for a solution, I'm saying that there are probably creative people who can come up with something that may work, and we should try it.
But, the people who have the loudest voices are the ones who say, "Do nothing", "More guns!", "Less guns!", or "Just do something, whatever it is!"
Personally, I want them all to STFU. They aren't helping.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I specifically said that the idea of "Less guns" is not a solution. I also said didn't say we need new laws.
You're spouting the same "Do nothing" mantra we hear all the time. I'm not asking YOU for a solution, I'm saying that there are probably creative people who can come up with something that may work, and we should try it.
But, the people who have the loudest voices are the ones who say, "Do nothing", "More guns!", "Less guns!", or "Just do something, whatever it is!"
That's just twaddle. You're demonizing everyone for proposing a solution that you think you want.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

That's just twaddle. You're demonizing everyone for proposing a solution that you think you want.
What does that sentence even mean?

I want to find a way to have fewer incidents like the one that happened yesterday. I don't have a solution, and as far as I can tell, no one I've heard has one. That doesn't mean that someone out there doesn't have a solution.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: I love these people, WE HAVE A PROBLEM, MORE GUN CONTROL, ok, what more do you want to stop a sleeper terrorist cell that had faked a middle class life for years and bought his stuff legally and built his own bombs.....just exactly how would you stop that, the world would love to know.

I want to find a way to have fewer incidents like the one that happened yesterday. I don't have a solution, and as far as I can tell, no one I've heard has one. That doesn't mean that someone out there doesn't have a solution.
Now juxtapose that with your second paragraph. Paragraph 1, you want a solution. Paragraph 2 everyone proposing one should STFU. It's nonsense and the way a woman's mind works by pulling all shouts that could spring life and then complaining that nothing sprung to life. Weeeelllllll ...
Last edited by awesome guy on Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:hey are attacking the idea that sending prayers and condolences, but refusing to have any kind of conversation on why this keeps happening or what can be done to reduce these occurrences... is useless
Fine. Let's have a conversation. Of the gun deaths in America, 60+ percent are suicides. Of the remaining gun deaths, the majority are drug and/or gang related. Any serious conversation about reducing gun deaths should start there...not with so-called "assault weapons" (which represent a minuscule portion of the problem) or phony gun show loopholes.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: I don't know the answer. You don't know the answer. But, with 300M people in the US, maybe someone can come up with something, right?

No juxtapose that with your second paragraph. Paragraph 1, you want a solution. Paragraph 2 everyone proposing one should STFU. It's nonsense and the way a woman's mind works by pulling all shouts that could spring life and then complaining that nothing sprung to life. Weeeelllllll ...

No, what I said is that there are probably people who have solutions in mind, that are not getting any airtime, because they don't fit the simpleton left/right agendas that do get airtime.

Here are 2 simple questions for you.

1) Do you think there is a solution to the mass shootings that we are having?
2) If you're answer to #1 is yes, what do you think that solution is?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: We have books of gun laws... not one nor any human on the planet can tell when another human will lose there crap and take out other humans or enact a pre-planned terrorist attack. IF so we prob. should have stopped the islamist folks from purposely driving planes into big buildings in NY and DC, right?

No juxtapose that with your second paragraph. Paragraph 1, you want a solution. Paragraph 2 everyone proposing one should STFU. It's nonsense and the way a woman's mind works by pulling all shouts that could spring life and then complaining that nothing sprung to life. Weeeelllllll ...

No, what I said is that there are probably people who have solutions in mind, that are not getting any airtime, because they don't fit the simpleton left/right agendas that do get airtime.

You're cutting everyone off at the knees, wither you recognize that or not.

An armed population and moratorium on gun free zones would certainly help.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: No, what I said is that there are probably people who have solutions in mind, that are not getting any airtime, because they don't fit the simpleton left/right agendas that do get airtime.

To make another budget analogy, this is like arguing over pork barrel spending. In the end of the day, "Mass shootings" (like pork barrel spending) are statistically irrelevant. This need to find a "solution" is an irrational reaction to saturation by the media. So, I would reject the premise of your question (of course there's a solution: confiscate all weapons and anything pointy from every person, move every person in US to internment camps where they're guarded by armed guards to prevent any violence. How many "mass shootings" have occurred in prison?)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: No, what I said is that there are probably people who have solutions in mind, that are not getting any airtime, because they don't fit the simpleton left/right agendas that do get airtime.

To make another budget analogy, this is like arguing over pork barrel spending. In the end of the day, "Mass shootings" (like pork barrel spending) are statistically irrelevant. This need to find a "solution" is an irrational reaction to saturation by the media. So, I would reject the premise of your question (of course there's a solution: confiscate all weapons and anything pointy from every person, move every person in US to internment camps where they're guarded by armed guards to prevent any violence. How many "mass shootings" have occurred in prison?)
Good point. I'm still for gun free zone free zones.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: I specifically said that the idea of "Less guns" is not a solution. I also said didn't say we need new laws.

So, your answer is More Guns. My question on that is how many people don't own a gun, who want to own a gun?? My guess is that the number of people who want to own a gun, already own one, or more than one.
Now, maybe having less restrictive carrying laws would mean a few more people would carry guns around with them, wherever they go, but I bet that number would be relatively small. Do you really think people would have been carrying a gun into a holiday work party?
I don't think they would. But, that's my opinion only, so I don't really know (and neither do you).

As for gun free zones, similar story, I don't think most people would carry guns with them, regardless of whether they could or not. But, I don't see a problem with businesses giving it a try if they want to.

In general, my issue with the "more guns" solution, is that we already have a ton of guns in the US. I don't see how "more" will be any different.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote: That's just twaddle. You're demonizing everyone for proposing a solution that you think you want.

So, your answer is More Guns. My question on that is how many people don't own a gun, who want to own a gun?? My guess is that the number of people who want to own a gun, already own one, or more than one.
Now, maybe having less restrictive carrying laws would mean a few more people would carry guns around with them, wherever they go, but I bet that number would be relatively small. Do you really think people would have been carrying a gun into a holiday work party?
I don't think they would. But, that's my opinion only, so I don't really know (and neither do you).

As for gun free zones, similar story, I don't think most people would carry guns with them, regardless of whether they could or not. But, I don't see a problem with businesses giving it a try if they want to.

In general, my issue with the "more guns" solution, is that we already have a ton of guns in the US. I don't see how "more" will be any different.
You danced over it, restrictions on carrying them is the problem. A lot more people than you're comfortable thinking about would carry more if not for fear of breaking the law. I would quell those fears.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:

I don't think it's an irrational reaction. When you can't go to a holiday party without feeling 100% sure some maniac isn't going to kill half the people there, it's not irrational to have a strong reaction to it.
It's not like Chicago, where criminals are killing other criminals all the time. The solution for most people, is to avoid areas where criminals are.
When people are getting killed at schools, and office places, in large numbers, then something is very wrong.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I don't think it's an irrational reaction. When you can't go to a holiday party without feeling 100% sure some maniac isn't going to kill half the people there, it's not irrational to have a strong reaction to it.
It's not like Chicago, where criminals are killing other criminals all the time. The solution for most people, is to avoid areas where criminals are.
When people are getting killed at schools, and office places, in large numbers, then something is very wrong.

When you live in a free society, you are never 100% safe. That is part of the price of living in a free society. Sort of like USN said, I bet they don't have many mass shootings in North Korea. Would you trade our lifestyle for theirs?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

I'm not coming here with a leftist solution to the problem. What I advocate is an ideology-free and NRA-free analysis of the problem, honest discussion on what problems can be solved and what cannot... followed by bold action. Just as an aside... does anybody here really believe statistics on gun violence that are produced by the NRA are in any way meaningful and accurate?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:What does that sentence even mean?

You danced over it, restrictions on carrying them is the problem. A lot more people than you're comfortable thinking about would carry more if not for fear of breaking the law. I would quell those fears.
Again, we just disagree on that issue. But, I'm fine with less restrictive open carry laws. I'm not uncomfortable with people carrying guns, but obviously, lots of people are.