Election Open Thread

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Election Open Thread

Post by nolanvt »

CNN just called the OH Senate race for Portman, which is a good thing.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
HokieFanDC

Re: Election Open Thread

Post by HokieFanDC »

nolanvt wrote:CNN just called the OH Senate race for Portman, which is a good thing.
I liked some of her work, but she was awful in Star Wars. Just saying.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

I'm actually more interested in our local races. I expect Hillary will carry Virginia and I expect Scott Taylor will return to the House for the 2nd District, but I want to see how Virginia Beach city council and light rail shakes out.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:CNN just called the OH Senate race for Portman, which is a good thing.
Shun
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Hokie CPA wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Shun

I apologize to the entire board for this....

This is what happens when you sell your soul.

BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Looking like a landslide for Hillary. Remember that polls from rural areas always come in first and so Republicans always start out leading. Hillary leading early in all four swing states ... it's over.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:Looking like a landslide for Hillary. Remember that polls from rural areas always come in first and so Republicans always start out leading. Hillary leading early in all four swing states ... it's over.
It's not looking good.
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

BigDave wrote:Looking like a landslide for Hillary. Remember that polls from rural areas always come in first and so Republicans always start out leading. Hillary leading early in all four swing states ... it's over.
Yep... question is, how much control of the House do Pubs retain, and do they hold onto the Senate?

Regardless of who wins, the 45th president is starting out with the deck stacked against them. Over half the country is going to despise them and wish nasty things on them. The winner will have no mandate whatsoever and will have to be as conciliatory and gracious a winner as we've seen in our lifetimes.

BigDave

Post by BigDave »

I was getting hopeful that Virginia might turn red when I saw the early numbers ... but I clicked on the map and basically none of the votes are in from the cities yet. Virginia is still blue.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:I was getting hopeful that Virginia might turn red when I saw the early numbers ... but I clicked on the map and basically none of the votes are in from the cities yet. Virginia is still blue.
Thought Loudoun reported already
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Hokie CPA wrote:
Yep... question is, how much control of the House do Pubs retain, and do they hold onto the Senate?

Regardless of who wins, the 45th president is starting out with the deck stacked against them. Over half the country is going to despise them and wish nasty things on them. The winner will have no mandate whatsoever and will have to be as conciliatory and gracious a winner as we've seen in our lifetimes.
Gracious and conciliatory. Good stuff. Hillary may just go with the double middle fingers.
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

Gracious and conciliatory. Good stuff. Hillary may just go with the double middle fingers.
Not if she takes any of James Carville's advice to heart. He just said on CNN she really needs to reach out, particularly to the Bubbas and union folks, who voted for Trump today.

WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

Nate Silver's blog is advising Florida is a toss up.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:
Looks like Trump might pull it out in FL. NC is another story....not sure he has a realistic path to win without NC.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

USN_Hokie wrote:
It's not looking good.
Nope.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Hokie CPA wrote:I'm actually more interested in our local races. I expect Hillary will carry Virginia and I expect Scott Taylor will return to the House for the 2nd District, but I want to see how Virginia Beach city council and light rail shakes out.
Does it matter. It could get voted down and they will some how build it anyway.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:
Looks like Trump might pull it out in FL. NC is another story....not sure he has a realistic path to win without NC.
Well, Virginia would replace a loss of North Carolina OR Ohio ... but not both. He's got to win one of those two ...
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:
Well, Virginia would replace a loss of North Carolina OR Ohio ... but not both. He's got to win one of those two ...
Still a ton of votes left in Fairfax. NOVA teases us in every election.
Ohio looks like it's going to be really close.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Fat lady hasn't sung yet. Trump appears to be on track to win FL, NC, and OH according to the NYT.
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

CNN zooming in on outstanding counties.... Florida is definitely in play and may very well break for Trump...

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

I'm enjoying watching the liberals cry "but the demographics shifted!". They're out of touch.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

With what's left in Virginia, it looks like Hillary narrowly wins Virginia. I'm surprised it's so close, though ... I excoriated RealClearPolitics for having it as a toss-up.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:I'm enjoying watching the liberals cry "but the demographics shifted!". They're out of touch.
I will say that the greatest thing about a Trump win would be watching the liberals go ape$&*t for 4 years. It would make the Bush histrionics look mild, and that's saying a lot.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:I'm enjoying watching the liberals cry "but the demographics shifted!". They're out of touch.
I will say that the greatest thing about a Trump win would be watching the liberals go ape$&*t for 4 years. It would make the Bush histrionics look mild, and that's saying a lot.
The crying will cause the oceans to rise.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

HokieFanDC wrote:
If Trump wins, he needs to be impeached and removed from office.

Of course, I'd say the same about Hillary ... but there would be 0.0 Democrats who would ever vote to impeach or convict Hillary. And that's sad.