OK: Co-ed achieves sexual equality courtesy...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

OK: Co-ed achieves sexual equality courtesy...

Post by USN_Hokie »

...OU running back Joe Mixon.
If it were just a push it would be one thing, but when she hits him in the face...[not condoning it, never hit a woman]...but oh boy.
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Re: OK: Co-ed achieves sexual equality courtesy...

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:...OU running back Joe Mixon.
If it were just a push it would be one thing, but when she hits him in the face...[not condoning it, never hit a woman]...but oh boy.
This guy had bad attorneys. He plead guilty. Why? She faced no charges apparently and has a civil suit out against him. She is now doing the feel sorry for me four.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... emale-2014
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Hilarious headline with this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/deadspin.com ... ent=safari

Yes, that is because it was your fault.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:Hilarious headline with this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/deadspin.com ... ent=safari

Yes, that is because it was your fault.
That is hilarious.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

She should've been charged as well.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:She should've been charged as well.
sup
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
This guy had bad attorneys. He plead guilty. Why? She faced no charges apparently and has a civil suit out against him. She is now doing the feel sorry for me four.

He should have served time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

Agreed. The crime he committed was much worse. She shoved him. He destroyed her face.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

Agreed. The crime he committed was much worse. She shoved him. He destroyed her face.

Last I checked, self-defense is not a crime here. By your rationale, if a person stabs you and you hit them with a baseball bat in defense (resulting in their death) , you should be brought up on charges?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

Last I checked, self-defense is not a crime here. By your rationale, if a person stabs you and you hit them with a baseball bat in defense (resulting in their death) , you should be brought up on charges?
I watched the same tape you did. She was no threat to him after the shove, and a shove isn't a basis for destroying the face of a person who is physically inferior to you. The heat that he, Stoops, and OU are getting is justified.

ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

I'm seeing totally opposite reactions to the same video. Some people think Stoops should be fired for keeping him on the team, others said that she had it coming. Interesting times.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

I watched the same tape you did. She was no threat to him after the shove, and a shove isn't a basis for destroying the face of a person who is physically inferior to you. The heat that he, Stoops, and OU are getting is justified.

When you are defending yourself, you don't really have time to gauge how hard you hit someone back. It's the reason you shouldn't hit or shove someone in the first place. It can create a violent reaction in that person. A second of insanity if you will.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:I'm seeing totally opposite reactions to the same video. Some people think Stoops should be fired for keeping him on the team, others said that she had it coming. Interesting times.
You have to be an asshole to think that the guys reaction was proportional to the threat.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

Did you miss the part where she grabbed his neck/face?
FireFuente
Alma Mater: VT

Post by FireFuente »

What this guy did was wrong and I would never do anything like that, but that being said...

I know that up to this point women have been operating under the assumption that its ok to physically abuse men because they're not allowed to hit back. But those days are OVER. Chivalry is dead (thanks feminism) and if you lay hands on someone you should expect reprisal.

Parents should be teaching their daughters not to hit a man unless they want to get hit back.
Last edited by FireFuente on Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

FireFuente wrote:What this guy did was wrong and I would never do anything like that, but that being said...

I know that up to this point women have been operating under the assumption that its ok to physically abuse men because they're now allowed to hit back. But those days are OVER. Chivalry is dead (thanks feminism) and if you lay hands on someone you should expect reprisal.

Parents should be teaching their daughters not to hit a man unless they want to get hit back.

Yep, gender equality is finally here! I'm sure it's going to be different somehow when a woman strikes a man and all he can do is sit there looking stupid while he takes the abuse.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

If the original aggressor was a man, I don't think anyone anywhere would even be questioning the football player's response - it would be clear self defense.

Honestly, I have no idea what Oklahoma law on self defense is - do you have a duty to retreat or can you stand your ground? If he has a duty to retreat, then it's probably not self defense. If this was in Florida, then it's unquestionably self defense.

Her hand was on his neck when he struck, so it's hard to argue that it's an out-of-proportion response.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Vienna_Hokie
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

FireFuente wrote:What this guy did was wrong and I would never do anything like that, but that being said...

I know that up to this point women have been operating under the assumption that its ok to physically abuse men because they're now allowed to hit back. But those days are OVER. Chivalry is dead (thanks feminism) and if you lay hands on someone you should expect reprisal.

I have always taught my son that hitting a woman is wrong and that if he is ever in a situation like that he should do enough to stop her, but just enough and get away from the situation. Just like I teach him to hold doors for ladies and treat girls and women with respect. Treat them as you would want your mother or sister treated.

BUT..... that is a personal thing and I agree, women want equal rights, they should expect equal responsibilities. If that had been a man that pushed him and slapped him, no one would be saying boo about his response.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:If the original aggressor was a man, I don't think anyone anywhere would even be questioning the football player's response - it would be clear self defense.

Honestly, I have no idea what Oklahoma law on self defense is - do you have a duty to retreat or can you stand your ground? If he has a duty to retreat, then it's probably not self defense. If this was in Florida, then it's unquestionably self defense.

Her hand was on his neck when he struck, so it's hard to argue that it's an out-of-proportion response.
Pretty sure that only applies to use of deadly force.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:I'm seeing totally opposite reactions to the same video. Some people think Stoops should be fired for keeping him on the team, others said that she had it coming. Interesting times.
You have to be an asshole to think that the guys reaction was proportional to the threat.

so if a guy that cannot fight or is much smaller than the other guy and get his ass kicked when the smaller person assaults the other person you would charge the bigger guy cuz he is bigger, right?
it does not matter at all who started the altercation. btw, on the video it appears she is intoxicated or altered before the argument started, so sorry but dealing with someone in that state you don't know what the danger to yourself is as that person assaulting you is not in control of themselves, wether male or female
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Count me in. What should he have done?
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:If the original aggressor was a man, I don't think anyone anywhere would even be questioning the football player's response - it would be clear self defense.

Pretty sure that only applies to use of deadly force.
No, it's the use of force in general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-your-ground_law

Are you saying that you believe there could be a hypothetical circumstance in which someone would be justified in, say, slashing an assailant's throat, but not justified in (non-fatally) punching the assailant?
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

I was just watching ESPN's CFB Live before today's bowl game and I am stunned that in the effort to fall all over themselves opposing violence against women, not one of the alleged journalists acknowledged that she hit first. It left me wondering if we watched the same video.

Reasonable point of view: "She hit first, he had a right to defend himself or to remove himself from the threat, but his response was out-of-proportion."

Unreasonable point of view: "ZOMG IT'S VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN!!!!!"
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

He could have easily escaped from the situation or pushed her away with less force. The question is whether he is legally required to do so.
Vienna_Hokie
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

He could have easily escaped from the situation or pushed her away with less force. The question is whether he is legally required to do so.
It appears that the justice system has said he is not legally required to do so. I do not believe it is unfair to not take that at face value given the history of application of the law in college towns when it comes to start athletes, however, it would be unfair to assume such. I would want to understand the legal issues in that jurisdiction before deciding, but on it's surface I can see a reasonable statement that he did not break the law.

On the other hand, Stoops and the University are not bound by the legality. As we saw in Minn this week, the school can apply punishment based on other factors that could include their expected moral standards for their students and student athletes. I do believe that as representatives of the University that athletes should be held to at least the same and possibly a higher standard than the student body. With that said, I think it is also reasonable to question the punishment (he redshirted). But I also find the screaming on the other side absurd. There are a lot of parallels to the Minn situation in that the "victims" bear some accountability because of their actions and the players involved went beyond what society would claim is reasonable, while seemingly not having violated the law. In both situations the players were punished for their actions. A little reasonableness applied in both situations seems in order...but then what would ESPN fill it's time with.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.