Google beta-testing feudalism

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Google beta-testing feudalism

Post by USN_Hokie »

Plans to buy 300 apartments for Bay Area serfs. We can assume the Google commissary where Google tokens are accepted is next.

#millenniallifestyle
To Ease Affordable Housing Crunch, Google Will Buy Modular Homes

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/? ... oogle.com/
Last edited by USN_Hokie on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Re: Google beta-testing feudalism

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:Plans to buy 300 apartments for Bay Area serfs.
To Ease Affordable Housing Crunch, Google Will Buy Modular Homes

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/? ... oogle.com/
Cool...company housing. Just like the old coal mines.

This couldn't possibly be a way to bring more visa holders in at even lower wages...naaaahhhh.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Vienna_Hokie wrote:Cool...company housing. Just like the old coal mines.

This couldn't possibly be a way to bring more visa holders in at even lower wages...naaaahhhh.
I'm assuming these homes are for the engineers. It doesn't really have anything to do with bringing in foreign employees - it has to do with getting as many hours out of your employees as humanly possible. If they live on campus and never leave and the shuttle that takes them to their front door has everything they need to work, they can be productive in all but the few hours you let them sleep.

Meanwhile, sure you're paying them $150K, but $150K in Silicon Valley still leaves you sleeping in a bunkbed and peeing in a trash can.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Vienna_Hokie
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:

I'm assuming these homes are for the engineers. It doesn't really have anything to do with bringing in foreign employees - it has to do with getting as many hours out of your employees as humanly possible. If they live on campus and never leave and the shuttle that takes them to their front door has everything they need to work, they can be productive in all but the few hours you let them sleep.

Meanwhile, sure you're paying them $150K, but $150K in Silicon Valley still leaves you sleeping in a bunkbed and peeing in a trash can.
Sorry, that may all be true, but it creates an environment that gives more cost advantage to engineers being brought in on visas. US workers have an expectation of a standard of living that would make them avoid that environment. Meanwhile cheap labor from India would see that as the taj mahal compared to their current conditions.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:

150K in Silicon Valley does not leave you sleeping in a bunk bed and peeing in a trash can. That's a huge exaggeration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

150K in Silicon Valley does not leave you sleeping in a bunk bed and peeing in a trash can. That's a huge exaggeration.

It's not far from off.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Correct - they pee in Gatorade bottles.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:Correct - they pee in Gatorade bottles.
And as an added bonus, it looks and tastes exactly like what was in the bottle to start with.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

It's not far from off.

No, it is.

https://www.apartments.com/the-arches-s ... a/fvycn0r/

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

650 sqft for 3k. My bathroom is that size.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:650 sqft for 3k. My bathroom is that size.
2100. Which is affordable to someone making 150K.

Just because you have a bigger place in a less desirable area doesn't mean you are pissing in a trash can.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Just because you have a bigger place in a less desirable area doesn't mean you are pissing in a trash can.

650 sq ft, that is living literally in a holiday inn hotel room, who the hell wants to do that permanently? Feel sorry for these people
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

650 sq ft, that is living literally in a holiday inn hotel room, who the hell wants to do that permanently? Feel sorry for these people
650 sq ft is not that bad.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

a 20 x 30 room is not that bad :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

for $2k a month :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: man people are stupid

BigDave

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:650 sq ft is not that bad.
I guess if it's what you're used to? Living out of a hotel room doesn't leave much space for a lot of belongings. It's bad enough being cramped up in one for a few weeks when traveling on business ... I couldn't imagine living in one permanently.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

... If you're a sardine
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
I guess if it's what you're used to? Living out of a hotel room doesn't leave much space for a lot of belongings. It's bad enough being cramped up in one for a few weeks when traveling on business ... I couldn't imagine living in one permanently.
I think you'd find that you don't really need all the stuff that is stored in your 2000 sq ft living space.

I would bet that there are rooms in your house that you haven't used for months.

It's a lifestyle choice.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
I think you'd find that you don't really need all the stuff that is stored in your 2000 sq ft living space.

I would bet that there are rooms in your house that you haven't used for months.

It's a lifestyle choice.

Not me, I'm not a cockroach or a rat and so need space.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

It's a lifestyle choice.

What if you want to get married and have kids? There is more to life than a bachelor pad.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

It's a lifestyle choice.

What if you want to get married and have kids? There is more to life than a bachelor pad.
IP just needs a fold out couch and a cupboard big enough for a few bottles of colon blow.

It's like a trailer park, only the trailers are half as big and stacked on top of each other.

IP's dream is essentially half of a single-wide trailer
Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

$150K in the Bay Area is ok money for a single person. It is not enough for a family unless you live someplace undesirable like Fremont.

“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

It's a lifestyle choice.

I get what you're trying to say about needs vs wants, but if my needs can be met in 650 sq. ft., I don't expect to pay $3.50 per square foot to get it. That's just crazy. Residential living spaces in Virginia Beach are around $1.70 per sq. ft.

Basically, $150k per year in Silicon Valley is roughly equivalent to $75k per year in Hampton Roads. And Silicon Valley isn't like Manhattan, where you can find anything you could possibly want by walking a few blocks, even if it's to a Subway station. Silicon Valley is a frickin' suburb, where you pretty much need a car to get to the clubs and nice restaurants that make that kind of rent worth the price. In other words, it ain't worth it.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

It's a lifestyle choice.

I get what you're trying to say about needs vs wants, but if my needs can be met in 650 sq. ft., I don't expect to pay $3.50 per square foot to get it. That's just crazy. Residential living spaces in Virginia Beach are around $1.70 per sq. ft.

Basically, $150k per year in Silicon Valley is roughly equivalent to $75k per year in Hampton Roads. And Silicon Valley isn't like Manhattan, where you can find anything you could possibly want by walking a few blocks, even if it's to a Subway station. Silicon Valley is a frickin' suburb, where you pretty much need a car to get to the clubs and nice restaurants that make that kind of rent worth the price. In other words, it ain't worth it.
It's not worth it to you.

Unless you don't believe in market forces, it's worth it to a lot of people.

Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

It's a lifestyle choice.

Like I said... I could see it being worth that kind of money to live in Manhattan, downtown Boston, Chicago, or San Francisco, but no way would any rational person find it "worth it" to pay that kind of money for a cubby hole in a suburb - where the ground shakes on a semi-regular basis. You pay that kind of money for the convenience of the big city where you don't need to pay for parking or maintaining a vehicle. There's a trade off in the big city. You don't get that trade-off in Silicon Valley.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

It's a lifestyle choice.

you do realize kali is losing population due to its tax structure, the earthquakes and the cost of living