Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: Google beta-testing feudalism

Post by Major Kong »

650ft² is doable for a single person on the short term.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Major Kong wrote:650ft² is doable for a single person on the short term.
for sure, its why i laugh at the tiny house people tho, they are paying huge dollars for a tiny space which only works if you have very little stuff
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:650 sq ft is not that bad.
I guess if it's what you're used to? Living out of a hotel room doesn't leave much space for a lot of belongings. It's bad enough being cramped up in one for a few weeks when traveling on business ... I couldn't imagine living in one permanently.
I think you'd find that you don't really need all the stuff that is stored in your 2000 sq ft living space.

I would bet that there are rooms in your house that you haven't used for months.

It's a lifestyle choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get what you're trying to say about needs vs wants, but if my needs can be met in 650 sq. ft., I don't expect to pay $3.50 per square foot to get it. That's just crazy. Residential living spaces in Virginia Beach are around $1.70 per sq. ft.

Basically, $150k per year in Silicon Valley is roughly equivalent to $75k per year in Hampton Roads. And Silicon Valley isn't like Manhattan, where you can find anything you could possibly want by walking a few blocks, even if it's to a Subway station. Silicon Valley is a frickin' suburb, where you pretty much need a car to get to the clubs and nice restaurants that make that kind of rent worth the price. In other words, it ain't worth it.
It's not worth it to you.

Unless you don't believe in market forces, it's worth it to a lot of people.

you do realize kali is losing population due to its tax structure, the earthquakes and the cost of living
That's not true, but OK.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

cwtcr hokie wrote:for sure, its why i laugh at the tiny house people tho, they are paying huge dollars for a tiny space which only works if you have very little stuff
Around here Storage businesses are booming so you can always get more stuff. :)

Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

Major Kong wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:for sure, its why i laugh at the tiny house people tho, they are paying huge dollars for a tiny space which only works if you have very little stuff
Around here Storage businesses are booming so you can always get more stuff. :)
I guess one could go the route of Ben Affleck in The Accountant and park a Streamline in a storage unit.

If things get really tight, live in the camper. LOL
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:650ft² is doable for a single person on the short term.
for sure, its why i laugh at the tiny house people tho, they are paying huge dollars for a tiny space which only works if you have very little stuff
They're half the square footage at the same cost of a trailer. Only benefit is it is more mobile.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Hokie CPA wrote:I guess one could go the route of Ben Affleck in The Accountant and park a Streamline in a storage unit.

Been there, done that and it wasn't bad at all.

Didn't park in a storage unit though. :)

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Major Kong wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:I guess one could go the route of Ben Affleck in The Accountant and park a Streamline in a storage unit.

We're looking at trailer RVs now, I could see someone living in one for a while. There's a house hunter type show about people buying RVs and "fulltiming" in it. There are some nice ones. The only time I think I'd go crazy is when it's really cold outside for an extended period, or raining for an extended period.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
We're looking at trailer RVs now, I could see someone living in one for a while.
Mobile meth lab?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
We're looking at trailer RVs now, I could see someone living in one for a while.
Mobile meth lab?
For sure, that's why we need the indoor and outdoor kitchens!
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:We're looking at trailer RVs now, I could see someone living in one for a while. There's a house hunter type show about people buying RVs and "fulltiming" in it. There are some nice ones. The only time I think I'd go crazy is when it's really cold outside for an extended period, or raining for an extended period.
We have a 26 footer. Dad got the fall before he passed away and never had a chanced to use it...we've put it to good use though.

We had a 22' Airstream and I put it to good use down in TN after graduation for 4 months. :)

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Major Kong wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:We're looking at trailer RVs now, I could see someone living in one for a while. There's a house hunter type show about people buying RVs and "fulltiming" in it. There are some nice ones. The only time I think I'd go crazy is when it's really cold outside for an extended period, or raining for an extended period.
We have a 26 footer. Dad got the fall before he passed away and never had a chanced to use it...we've put it to good use though.

We had a 22' Airstream and I put it to good use down in TN after graduation for 4 months. :)

Love the airstream, not sure it's worth the extra coin as our first RV though. What make is your 26 ft.?
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:Love the airstream, not sure it's worth the extra coin as our first RV though. What make is your 26 ft.?
1978 GMC 26' Motorhome...he picked it up for a song down in Crossville, TN.

My grandfather bought the Airstream Safari and brought it back to VA when we were living in Bellflower, VA...when he passed away in '77 my Dad got it. It survived just about everything until an ice storm in '83 brought down an Oak tree on top of it. :(
Last edited by Major Kong on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

We're looking at trailer RVs now, I could see someone living in one for a while. There's a house hunter type show about people buying RVs and "fulltiming" in it. There are some nice ones. The only time I think I'd go crazy is when it's really cold outside for an extended period, or raining for an extended period.
my neighbor who bought the 100 acres beside my land is doing that now, he put his house up for sale and it sold in 3 days, he did not expect it to sell near that fast so they are living in a fifth wheel RV while the new house is being built