VDH: Can a Divided America Survive?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

VDH: Can a Divided America Survive?

Post by 133743Hokie »

I have to admit this is the worst I have seen in my 50 years, and I see it getting only worse, with no end in sight.
==========================================================================

History has not been very kind to countries that enter a state of multicultural chaos.

The United States is currently the world’s oldest democracy.

But America is no more immune from collapse than were some of history’s most stable and impressive consensual governments. Fifth-century Athens, Republican Rome, Renaissance Florence and Venice, and many of the elected governments of early 20th-century Western European states eventually destroyed themselves, went bankrupt, or were overrun by invaders.

The United States is dividing as rarely before. Half the country, mostly liberal America, is concentrated in 146 of the nation’s more than 3,000 counties — in an area that collectively represents less than 10 percent of the U.S. land mass. The other half, the conservative Red states of the interior of America, is geographically, culturally, economically, politically, and socially at odds with Blue-state America, which resides mostly on the two coasts. The two Americas watch different news. They read very different books, listen to different music, and watch different television shows. Increasingly, they now live lives according to two widely different traditions.

Barack Obama was elected president after compiling the most left-wing voting record in the U.S. Senate. His antidote, Donald Trump, was elected largely on the premise that traditional Republicans were hardly conservative.

Red America and Blue America are spiraling into divisions approaching those of 1860, or of the nihilistic hippie/straight divide of 1968.

Currently, some 27 percent of all Californians were not born in the United States. More than 40 million foreign-born immigrants currently live in the U.S. — the highest number in the nation’s history.

Yet widely unchecked immigration comes at a time when the country has lost confidence in its prior successful adherence to melting-pot assimilation and integration. The ultimate result is a fragmenting of society into tribal cliques that vie for power, careers, and influence on the basis of ethnic solidarity rather than shared Americanness.

History is not very kind to multicultural chaos — as opposed to a multiracial society united by a single national culture. The fates of Rwanda, Iraq, and the former Yugoslavia should remind us of our present disastrous trajectory.

Either the United States will return to a shared single language and allegiance to a common and singular culture, or it will eventually descend into clannish violence.

Does the unique American idea of federalism still work, with state rights and laws subordinate to federal law? We fought a Civil War that cost more than 600,000 lives in part to uphold the idea that individual states could not override the federal government.

Yet sanctuary cities declare that they can freely nullify federal immigration law. The California Senate passed a bill earlier this month that would prohibit the state from contracting with any firms that work on the federal government’s wall at the border with Mexico.

States such as California vow that they will ignore Washington and work directly with foreign nations to promote their own policies on global warming. Read carefully what some prominent Californians are saying about the federal government: It is not much different from what influential Confederate South Carolinians boasted about in 1860 on the eve of secession.

The national debt has almost doubled over the last eight years and at nearly $20 trillion is unsustainable.

Entitlement spending rose even as new taxes increased. The have-nots claim the haves make far too much money; the haves retort that they pay most of the income taxes while nearly half the country pays nothing.

Most Americans agree that the present levels of borrowing and spending cannot continue. But many believe that the tough medicine to cure the disease of chronic annual deficits and mounting debt is unacceptable.

America’s infrastructure and military are vastly underfunded, even though some voters want more subsidies for themselves and apparently want others to pay for them.

America’s once-preeminent colleges and universities are fatally compromised. Universities charge far too much, resist reform, expect exemption from accountability, and assume their students must take on huge amounts of debt. Yet campuses can’t guarantee that their graduates are competently educated or that they will find jobs.

Illiberal attempts to end free speech, to sanction racial and gender segregation, and to attack rather than argue with opponents are disguised by euphemisms such as “safe spaces,” “trigger warnings,” and various -isms and -ologies.

Behind the guise of campus activism and non-negotiable demands is the reality that too many students simply are unprepared to do their assigned work and seek exemption through protests in lieu of hard studying.

America barely survived the Civil War of 1861–65, the Great Depression of 1929–39, and the rioting and protests of the 1960s. But today’s growing divides are additionally supercharged by instant Internet and social-media communications, 24/7 cable news, partisan media, and the denigration of America’s past traditions.

All Americans need to take a deep breath, step back, and rein in their anger — and find more ways to connect rather than divide themselves.

They should assume their opponents are not all sinners, and that their supporters are not all saints.

Things are bad now. But our own history suggests that if we are not careful, they can get even worse.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ca-survive
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: VDH: Can a Divided America Survive?

Post by HokieJoe »

He sums up my feelings on the matter. The left thinks this is politics as usual, but it's not. Years and years of politics as usual is precisely why we have Trump. Not understanding that will be the left's and Republican never Trumpers biggest mistake, and it may end up costing every one of us. Dearly.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

133743Hokie wrote:I have to admit this is the worst I have seen in my 50 years, and I see it getting only worse, with no end in sight.

History has not been very kind to countries that enter a state of multicultural chaos.

But America is no more immune from collapse than were some of history’s most stable and impressive consensual governments. Fifth-century Athens, Republican Rome, Renaissance Florence and Venice, and many of the elected governments of early 20th-century Western European states eventually destroyed themselves, went bankrupt, or were overrun by invaders.

The United States is dividing as rarely before. Half the country, mostly liberal America, is concentrated in 146 of the nation’s more than 3,000 counties — in an area that collectively represents less than 10 percent of the U.S. land mass. The other half, the conservative Red states of the interior of America, is geographically, culturally, economically, politically, and socially at odds with Blue-state America, which resides mostly on the two coasts. The two Americas watch different news. They read very different books, listen to different music, and watch different television shows. Increasingly, they now live lives according to two widely different traditions.

Barack Obama was elected president after compiling the most left-wing voting record in the U.S. Senate. His antidote, Donald Trump, was elected largely on the premise that traditional Republicans were hardly conservative.

Red America and Blue America are spiraling into divisions approaching those of 1860, or of the nihilistic hippie/straight divide of 1968.

Currently, some 27 percent of all Californians were not born in the United States. More than 40 million foreign-born immigrants currently live in the U.S. — the highest number in the nation’s history.

Yet widely unchecked immigration comes at a time when the country has lost confidence in its prior successful adherence to melting-pot assimilation and integration. The ultimate result is a fragmenting of society into tribal cliques that vie for power, careers, and influence on the basis of ethnic solidarity rather than shared Americanness.

History is not very kind to multicultural chaos — as opposed to a multiracial society united by a single national culture. The fates of Rwanda, Iraq, and the former Yugoslavia should remind us of our present disastrous trajectory.

Either the United States will return to a shared single language and allegiance to a common and singular culture, or it will eventually descend into clannish violence.

Does the unique American idea of federalism still work, with state rights and laws subordinate to federal law? We fought a Civil War that cost more than 600,000 lives in part to uphold the idea that individual states could not override the federal government.

Yet sanctuary cities declare that they can freely nullify federal immigration law. The California Senate passed a bill earlier this month that would prohibit the state from contracting with any firms that work on the federal government’s wall at the border with Mexico.

States such as California vow that they will ignore Washington and work directly with foreign nations to promote their own policies on global warming. Read carefully what some prominent Californians are saying about the federal government: It is not much different from what influential Confederate South Carolinians boasted about in 1860 on the eve of secession.

The national debt has almost doubled over the last eight years and at nearly $20 trillion is unsustainable.

Entitlement spending rose even as new taxes increased. The have-nots claim the haves make far too much money; the haves retort that they pay most of the income taxes while nearly half the country pays nothing.

Most Americans agree that the present levels of borrowing and spending cannot continue. But many believe that the tough medicine to cure the disease of chronic annual deficits and mounting debt is unacceptable.

America’s infrastructure and military are vastly underfunded, even though some voters want more subsidies for themselves and apparently want others to pay for them.

America’s once-preeminent colleges and universities are fatally compromised. Universities charge far too much, resist reform, expect exemption from accountability, and assume their students must take on huge amounts of debt. Yet campuses can’t guarantee that their graduates are competently educated or that they will find jobs.

Illiberal attempts to end free speech, to sanction racial and gender segregation, and to attack rather than argue with opponents are disguised by euphemisms such as “safe spaces,” “trigger warnings,” and various -isms and -ologies.

Behind the guise of campus activism and non-negotiable demands is the reality that too many students simply are unprepared to do their assigned work and seek exemption through protests in lieu of hard studying.

America barely survived the Civil War of 1861–65, the Great Depression of 1929–39, and the rioting and protests of the 1960s. But today’s growing divides are additionally supercharged by instant Internet and social-media communications, 24/7 cable news, partisan media, and the denigration of America’s past traditions.

All Americans need to take a deep breath, step back, and rein in their anger — and find more ways to connect rather than divide themselves.

They should assume their opponents are not all sinners, and that their supporters are not all saints.

Things are bad now. But our own history suggests that if we are not careful, they can get even worse.

A wonderful piece of wisdom by Mr. Hanson. The problem we face today is, young turd for brains millennials do not understand a word of this - mostly because it is not taught to them. They are taught that anything that goes against traditional American culture is good because somehow, traditional American culture is associated with white power & privilege. This kind of dangerous thinking is even more prevalent among millennials that are also minorities. And apparently no one is brave enough to stand up to them and tell them to shut up and sit down. Which is why we now see all of these college campuses where millennial minorities taking over and making demands that are designed to create further division (like telling white students to leave campus, or demanding that campus buildings be painted the colors that represent Africa or queers).

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:He sums up my feelings on the matter. The left thinks this is politics as usual, but it's not. Years and years of politics as usual is precisely why we have Trump. Not understanding that will be the left's and Republican never Trumpers biggest mistake, and it may end up costing every one of us. Dearly.
Once we get back to ignoring rednecks, we will be fine. I expect they will grow disillusioned with politics when they see that even after 4 or 8 years of Trump, they still find themselves to be ignorant, downtrodden necks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:He sums up my feelings on the matter. The left thinks this is politics as usual, but it's not. Years and years of politics as usual is precisely why we have Trump. Not understanding that will be the left's and Republican never Trumpers biggest mistake, and it may end up costing every one of us. Dearly.
Once we get back to ignoring rednecks, we will be fine. I expect they will grow disillusioned with politics when they see that even after 4 or 8 years of Trump, they still find themselves to be ignorant, downtrodden necks.

We need 600sqft boxes to feel affluent, twice as well off as a jail cell!
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Thank you for your contribution to the discussion
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Keep on telling yourself that.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote: Once we get back to ignoring rednecks, we will be fine.
You're making the author's point about the failure of multiculturalism. The societal distrust which you exemplify is the reason it will fail.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:I have to admit this is the worst I have seen in my 50 years, and I see it getting only worse, with no end in sight.

Good article, thanks for sharing.

I think things are getting pretty bad myself. I feel like one event could push things over the edge.

If that shooter had put 10 or more congressmen in the hospital I think it would have been enough. Hell, just tonight there was a report of a truck with a Trump sticker on it being shot at.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

Honest question...

Is trump the man to lead us through this?
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:Honest question...

Yes. He was legitimately elected using our Constitutional democratic process. He's the President of the United States. If not him, then who?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Yes. He was legitimately elected using our Constitutional democratic process. He's the President of the United States. If not him, then who?
Presidents aren't necessarily good leaders. Jimmy Carter couldn't lead a drunken bachelor party to the strip club.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Presidents aren't necessarily good leaders. Jimmy Carter couldn't lead a drunken bachelor party to the strip club.

I'm confused - are you citing Jimmy Carter as an example/standard for what we should have in a President?

If not, what is your point? Yeah, Jimmy Carter was a crappy leader. He also got primaried and ended up as a one term'r who is roundly mocked to this day for being ineffective.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

I'm confused - are you citing Jimmy Carter as an example/standard for what we should have in a President?

If not, what is your point? Yeah, Jimmy Carter was a crappy leader. He also got primaried and ended up as a one term'r who is roundly mocked to this day for being ineffective.
I just said Jimmy Carter wasn't a good leader. If you want to make something up, go for it.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

I just said Jimmy Carter wasn't a good leader. If you want to make something up, go for it.

You said it's not a necessary trait for a president. Was your point that somebody being elected doesn't magically make them a good leader? If so that's a retarded no shirt point. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were making a slightly less retarded argument that being a leader isn't necessary for a president.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

You said it's not a necessary trait for a president. Was your point that somebody being elected doesn't magically make them a good leader? If so that's a retarded no shirt point. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were making a slightly less retarded argument that being a leader isn't necessary for a president.
You should take that up with Uppity.

UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:
You should take that up with Uppity.

Why with me? Hville asked if Trump was the person to lead us through "this." I asked, if not him, then who? If Carter were the President now, we would have no choice but to allow him to continue to lead us through "this."

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Yep, he was still a better leader than Obama, whom shoulders a lot of blame in creating this mess in the first place that Trump has inherited. Don't worry, I'm not expecting an intelligent or thoughtful follow-up from you.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

He's been in office for ~6 months.
Attila T Hun

Post by Attila T Hun »

Nolan, IP and Hoo are perfect examples of the multicultural chaos talked about in the article. They are driven by hate.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Attila T Hun wrote:Nolan, IP and Hoo are perfect examples of the multicultural chaos talked about in the article. They are driven by hate.
Correct. They're also too entitled to give a F about the chaos they put the nation through, they only care about themselves.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Once we get back to ignoring rednecks, we will be fine.
You're making the author's point about the failure of multiculturalism. The societal distrust which you exemplify is the reason it will fail.
its eye pee, the colon blow went badly and he is a being his normal self, or its the 400 sq ft apt he is paying 3k a month for
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Well thunder thighs was on purpose dividing the country so it would be worse if she had got elected
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

I would say no, certainly not the best. However, IMO he IS the right man at the right time to bring this out in the open into the public eye. It required an outsider; not a DC pol from either party, to show just how F-d up things are in DC.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
Attila T Hun wrote:Nolan, IP and Hoo are perfect examples of the multicultural chaos talked about in the article. They are driven by hate.
Correct. They're also too entitled to give a F about the chaos they put the nation through, they only care about themselves.
I wish I was as powerful as you give me credit for.