Party: Draintheswamp

VT awarded $1M To Boost Diversity And Inclusion In STEM

Post by USN_Hokie »

This is making the rounds this morning.

http://amp.dailycaller.com/2017/06/15/v ... n-in-stem/
UpstateSCHokie

Re: VT awarded $1M To Boost Diversity And Inclusion In STEM

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:This is making the rounds this morning.

TSL recently ran its (now annual) poll asking its readers its opinion of Sands. He still gets high marks from most of their readers which is quite stunning to me. The guy is a divisive left wing ideologue trying to bring Berkeley values to Blacksburg.

Perhaps they are supportive of him because of the recently success of the football & bball teams, but most of that credit should go to Babcock, Fuente, & Williams.

EDT: I realize this grant has not much to do with Sands, but I just needed to rant a bit.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

I assume they will be using the $1 million to get rid of the women's studies department?

If you want more women and minorities in STEM, then stop convincing women and minorities to major in women's studies, African American studies, etc.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
I85hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Independent

Post by I85hokie »

Sounds like a good idea. There's probably not enough Asians in STEM.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

BigDave wrote:I assume they will be using the $1 million to get rid of the women's studies department?

If you want more women and minorities in STEM, then stop convincing women and minorities to major in women's studies, African American studies, etc.
Some local schools here have recently changed STEM to STEAM, where the "A" stands for Arts. So if this happens at VT, they could easily make the divisional studies programs (women's studies, gay studies, transgendered studies, black studies, etc.) to be part of it.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

TSL recently ran its (now annual) poll asking its readers its opinion of Sands. He still gets high marks from most of their readers which is quite stunning to me. The guy is a divisive left wing ideologue trying to bring Berkeley values to Blacksburg.

Perhaps they are supportive of him because of the recently success of the football & bball teams, but most of that credit should go to Babcock, Fuente, & Williams.

EDT: I realize this grant has not much to do with Sands, but I just needed to rant a bit.
Who hired Babcock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Who hired Babcock?

Even a blind squirell finds a nut now and then
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:I assume they will be using the $1 million to get rid of the women's studies department?

Some local schools here have recently changed STEM to STEAM, where the "A" stands for Arts. So if this happens at VT, they could easily make the divisional studies programs (women's studies, gay studies, transgendered studies, black studies, etc.) to be part of it.
Yeah, that's pretty disgusting and subverts the whole point of STEM.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Who hired Babcock?

So one good hire means we have to like everything else he does? There's some logic for ya.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

that $1m is coming from some tax dollars somewhere, great use of it, wonder how many people that would feed?