USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Dimwitty, VA

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Dimwitty, VA

Post by awesome guy »

School board is run by a libtard, not surprised.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Yipes.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

Makes sense - I've got great stories from growing up there. Fortunately, didn't go to public school there...

BTW, don't think you're the first to call it "Dimwitty".
#JusticeForNolan
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

PolyTech wrote: BTW, don't think you're the first to call it "Dimwitty".
I thought it up on my own, but yeah - didn't think I was the first. :mrgreen:
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Guaranteed not the first ;)

I was there yesterday at Chesdin and it lives up (or down) to that name, on the lake for sure. At least everyone was efficient and intelligent launching their watercraft, even if the next move was a "hold my beer" antic on a jet ski.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

well hell fire, its a virgina!
FireFuente
Alma Mater: VT

Post by FireFuente »

awesome guy wrote:School board is run by a libtard, not surprised.
The vast majority of school boards are run by libtards. It explains a lot.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

FireFuente wrote:
awesome guy wrote:School board is run by a libtard, not surprised.
The vast majority of school boards are run by libtards. It explains a lot.

troof
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

My cousin just retired as a schoolteacher in Dinwiddie. Funny thing she was only 25. ;) :mrgreen:

Seriously though 33 years in school system there.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
My cousin just retired as a schoolteacher in Dinwiddie. Funny thing she was only 25. ;) :mrgreen:

How much Petersburg is that place? Odd that it's a topic today, yesterday is the first time I ever made it to Lake Chesdin. Only real time I've spent in Dinwiddie is passing through on 85 to Charlotte or Lake Kerr or them being one of the few guaranteed wins in football back in the day. Doubt I'll be back to Lake Chesdin much as it was a redneck Mecca, though I may try squeezing my kayak up to that northern part, past the 1 foot shallows. Looks bass-y on Navionics, though need to confirm in person. Then again, there are a million better fishing spots around here for me to mess with all that boat and jetski traffic. I only went because one of my "I can only go twice a year" buddies wanted to take his boat there and had the family pass for father's day.
Last edited by awesome guy on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I was there yesterday at Chesdin and it lives up (or down) to that name, on the lake for sure. At least everyone was efficient and intelligent launching their watercraft, even if the next move was a "hold my beer" antic on a jet ski.

My folks still live on Chesdin - Dad's a Tech grad as well, stop in and he'll have a cold Old Milwaukee for you.
#JusticeForNolan
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

PolyTech wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

My folks still live on Chesdin - Dad's a Tech grad as well, stop in and he'll have a cold Old Milwaukee for you.

the big money side? There are some impressive homes on that lake.
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

awesome guy wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

How much Petersburg is that place? Odd that it's a topic today, yesterday is the first time I ever made it to Lake Chesdin. Only real time I've spent in Dinwiddie is passing through on 85 to Charlotte or Lake Kerr or them being one of the few guaranteed wins in football back in the day. Doubt I'll be back to Lake Chesdin much as it was a redneck Mecca, though I may try squeezing my kayak up to that northern part, past the 1 foot shallows. Looks bass-y on Navionics, though need to confirm in person. Then again, there are a million better fishing spots around here for me to mess with all that boat and jetski traffic. I only went because one of "I can only go twice a year" buddies wanted to take his boat there and had the family pass for father's day.
Pretty Petersburg, but a somewhat different demographic. Dinwiddie is about 50% AA, 50% redneck. Petersburg is about 85% AA, 15% crazy because they're still there - the place sets the standard for mismanagement. Parents have hidden out in the county there, now living on the lake (have for about 20 years, moved there after my brother and I left home...). Taxes are favorable compared to the other side of the lake.
#JusticeForNolan
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:How much Petersburg is that place? Odd that it's a topic today, yesterday is the first time I ever made it to Lake Chesdin. Only real time I've spent in Dinwiddie is passing through on 85 to Charlotte or Lake Kerr or them being one of the few guaranteed wins in football back in the day. Doubt I'll be back to Lake Chesdin much as it was a redneck Mecca, though I may try squeezing my kayak up to that northern part, past the 1 foot shallows. Looks bass-y on Navionics, though need to confirm in person. Then again, there are a million better fishing spots around here for me to mess with all that boat and jetski traffic. I only went because one of my "I can only go twice a year" buddies wanted to take his boat there and had the family pass for father's day.
Don't know...Dinwiddie County was a place we passed thru to our place down at Buggs Island Lake (we never called it Kerr Lake. :D ) Our place was out on Palmer's Point...almost became a graduate of Bluestone instead of Varina but we stayed in Henrico County.

When not involved in baseball we were down there all the time even in the winter...still have quite a bit of family in Victoria, Kenbridge and South Hill.

My Dad sold the place after they moved to Saltville in '78...a lot of good memories down there.

PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:How much Petersburg is that place? Odd that it's a topic today, yesterday is the first time I ever made it to Lake Chesdin. Only real time I've spent in Dinwiddie is passing through on 85 to Charlotte or Lake Kerr or them being one of the few guaranteed wins in football back in the day. Doubt I'll be back to Lake Chesdin much as it was a redneck Mecca, though I may try squeezing my kayak up to that northern part, past the 1 foot shallows. Looks bass-y on Navionics, though need to confirm in person. Then again, there are a million better fishing spots around here for me to mess with all that boat and jetski traffic. I only went because one of my "I can only go twice a year" buddies wanted to take his boat there and had the family pass for father's day.
Don't know...Dinwiddie County was a place we passed thru to our place down at Buggs Island Lake (we never called it Kerr Lake. :D ) Our place was out on Palmer's Point...almost became a graduate of Bluestone instead of Varina but we stayed in Henrico County.

When not involved in baseball we were down there all the time even in the winter...still have quite a bit of family in Victoria, Kenbridge and South Hill.

My Dad sold the place after they moved to Saltville in '78...a lot of good memories down there.
Nobody ever called it Kerr Lake! Always Buggs Island.

Had a great buddy of mine in high school from South Hill. That was a hell of a drive every day. Some folks came from Emporia every day, too. That Emporia accent is one messed up accent...
#JusticeForNolan
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

PolyTech wrote:Nobody ever called it Kerr Lake! Always Buggs Island.

Had a great buddy of mine in high school from South Hill. That was a hell of a drive every day. Some folks came from Emporia every day, too. That Emporia accent is one messed up accent...
We're going to the hoose :!: :mrgreen:

PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

Major Kong wrote:
PolyTech wrote:Nobody ever called it Kerr Lake! Always Buggs Island.

We're going to the hoose :!: :mrgreen:
Emporia's accent is WAY stronger than that, like a weird SSV/North Carolina mashup (which is expected, I suppose). Petersburg area has the hoose, oot, and aboot thing going pretty strong (I think I got some of that as well, but people can't ever place my accent/lack thereof).

That SSV accent comes through a little on Moonshiners, too, though it's a little stronger with the folks on there like Tim.
#JusticeForNolan
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

PolyTech wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Nobody ever called it Kerr Lake! Always Buggs Island.

True, that's my own idiom, coming at as a cat fisherman from than a bass fisherman :) I had people drive from Emporia to Chesterfield Mall (Chesterfield Town Center now) to work as a line cook. Very odd decision, figured they were burning half their paycheck to get there each day.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:

I've only been a couple times. I like it, but the locals were a bit off. First time there, another buddy and I were taking a break from running the boats and so were going to cast for striper off the back of the dam. I had just finished a new spinning surf rod with low riders and all the bells and whistles to smoke a 2 ounce lure. On the way down, we kept seeing all these 1970 era cars, like the Nova and Chevelle with these giant rods hanging out the window. The rods had just 2-3 guides and they were huge, like the size of basketball hoops. I was thinking "WTF, this place is in a timewarp". I was also laughing at their stupid looking rods, very haughty. We get there and those guys were absolutely crushing it, throwing 175 yards to the back corner of the dam! I was getting only 130-150 yards, they smoked me. So I've since adopted their Deliverance style spinning rod method, even though it's not very accurate, it can flat make the lead fly.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

PolyTech wrote:Emporia's accent is WAY stronger than that, like a weird SSV/North Carolina mashup (which is expected, I suppose). Petersburg area has the hoose, oot, and aboot thing going pretty strong (I think I got some of that as well, but people can't ever place my accent/lack thereof).

That SSV accent comes through a little on Moonshiners, too, though it's a little stronger with the folks on there like Tim.
Oh yeah :!: You should hear it when my Southside cousins and my Smyth County born and raised wife get together (she speaks Nell) even to this day. I still have to translate. :mrgreen:

PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

awesome guy wrote:
PolyTech wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

the big money side? There are some impressive homes on that lake.
The big money side is Chesterfield - they live on the Dinwiddie side. They have a nice spot on the lake, though, with a fair amount of beach for the lake.

The Chesterfield side is the side where Jim Kelly used to have a house, for whatever reason. Don't think he still owns it, though.
#JusticeForNolan
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

Major Kong wrote:
PolyTech wrote:Emporia's accent is WAY stronger than that, like a weird SSV/North Carolina mashup (which is expected, I suppose). Petersburg area has the hoose, oot, and aboot thing going pretty strong (I think I got some of that as well, but people can't ever place my accent/lack thereof).

Oh yeah :!: You should hear it when my Southside cousins and my Smyth County born and raised wife get together (she speaks Nell) even to this day. I still have to translate. :mrgreen:
The sound of my youth: Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

That's an interesting site overall. You do not want your accent to sound like this: Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.
#JusticeForNolan
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Major Kong wrote:

I've tried to tell AG in the past that he sounds stupid calling it Kerr lake. He can't be helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

I've tried to tell AG in the past that he sounds stupid calling it Kerr lake. He can't be helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not a bass fisherman, I'm calling it Kerr! Like some people call redfish puppy drum, I'm not buying into it and so am using the correct name.