Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

The Slants win!!!

Post by Major Kong »

I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: The Slants win!!!

Post by HokieJoe »

"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

Reading or publishing this opinion listed as a micro-aggression on campuses in 3...2....1.....

“Speech that demeans on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, disability, or any other similar ground is hateful; but the proudest boast of our free speech jurisprudence is that we protect the freedom to express the thought we hate,” Alito said in a part of his opinion joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Clarence Thomas and Stephen Breyer.

Writing separately, Justice Anthony Kennedy said ban on disparaging trademarks was a clear form of viewpoint discrimination that is forbidden under the First Amendment.

“A law that can be directed against speech found offensive to some portion of the public can be turned against minority and dissenting views to the detriment of all,” Kennedy said in an opinion joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonya Sotomayor and Elena Kagan.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Definitely not a good day for the nolans of the world. But a GREAT day for patriots & Constitutionalists!

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Definitely not a good day for the nolans of the world. But a GREAT day for patriots & Constitutionalists!
You've got me confused with someone else. You'll get em next time, champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:Definitely not a good day for the nolans of the world. But a GREAT day for patriots & Constitutionalists!

Are there 2 nolans on this board? I'm pretty sure there was a nolan posting here that did not think the Redskins should be able to keep their name. If I got you mixed up with the other guy, my apologies.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Are there 2 nolans on this board? I'm pretty sure there was a nolan posting here that did not think the Redskins should be able to keep their name. If I got you mixed up with the other guy, my apologies.
Yep. VB was more of the anti-redskins crusader
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

You're correct. Nolan and the unusuals have selective memory when it suits them.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I've never said the Redskins should lose their trademark. I don't get offended by team names.

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I've never said the Redskins should lose their trademark. I don't get offended by team names.

It appears the Usuals have conflated legality with good taste.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

uh huh, you said it was business decision based on the courts ruling it offensive. So that's what you were saying.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

uh huh, you said it was business decision based on the courts ruling it offensive. So that's what you were saying.
I said it makes business sense for the NFL to change the name if the trademark were to be no longer legally enforceable. That's Business 101-type stuff.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I said it makes business sense for the NFL to change the name if the trademark were to be no longer legally enforceable. That's Business 101-type stuff.

That's your typical derpy response of creating a business crisis and then calling it a business decision. Thug.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

ip_law-hokie wrote:It appears the Usuals have conflated legality with good taste.

It appears the Unusuals have conflated illegality with good taste.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

What does patriotism have to do with this ruling?
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:

because it affirmed the 1st amendment.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote: You've got me confused with someone else. You'll get em next time, champ.

That's your typical derpy response of creating a business crisis and then calling it a business decision. Thug.
I've never said the Redskins name was offensive.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:I've never said the Redskins name was offensive.

LOL
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote: I've never said the Redskins name was offensive.
"Of all of the Indian mascots out there, I think the only one that could be offensive and categorized as a slur is Redskins."
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

"Hail to the Redskins!"
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Whichever way SCOTUS ruled could be considered as a protection/interpretation of the Constitution, as that is their very role. The opposite decision may not align with someone's opinion, but it doesn't mean that the Constitution is necessarily not upheld.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Whichever way SCOTUS ruled could be considered as a protection/interpretation of the Constitution, as that is their very role. The opposite decision may not align with someone's opinion, but it doesn't mean that the Constitution is necessarily not upheld.

Come on dude, you're better than this.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Come on dude, you're better than this.
If there were only 1 way to rule in every case to protect the Constitution, then there would never be a legitimate complaint about a ruling. Sometimes the Court decides between 'protecting the Constitution' and 'protecting the Constitution'.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Nolan said that as a fan, he favors the name changing. He never said the government should force them to change the name.

http://uwsboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5702&start=100
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:If there were only 1 way to rule in every case to protect the Constitution, then there would never be a legitimate complaint about a ruling. Sometimes the Court decides between 'protecting the Constitution' and 'protecting the Constitution'.
I hope you can see my eyes rolling from there. It's spectacular. There is 1 way to rule in a first amendment case to protect the constitution. You're just making things up, there isn't a constitutional basis to rule in favor of banning speech. Do better.